• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

In the Garden 2020

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
we are closing this thread for an off topic tidy up...please try and stay within the title of thread when we re open it... thank you

from the team

Last edited:

Lady Penelope

master brummie
Could anyone help me with my project please? I'm no gardener but have managed, with my husbands help, to get the garden looking quite good in lockdown. However, one corner of the garden continues to defeat me. It's full of those tall things with blue flowers which, when you pull them up, leave a little bit of root which then grows even bigger the next year. I know I will have to dig as much as I can and replant. Not easy as it's a sort of rockery.

However, the area is in sunshine in the morning and shade in the afternoon. It has an ash tree close by and unless I water it copiously it remains dry even in showery weather. We are going to rig up a seep pipe as soon as we have the planting sorted and this is (after that long-winded introduction) the problem. What do we plant? I've looked on the internet but most of the flowers seem to be white and I'd like some colour as it's really dull at the moment. Also, I'd like them to be fairly low growing please?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Still no water in the pond - awaiting one bit for my piping so that I can pump into the barrel. I will empty the small amount of water so I can hide my piping under gravel etc.

I have been busy however - I had some railway sleeper offcuts from my raised beds project so I thought I would round off my terracing with a bit of woodwork. I will probably create some sort of deck behind this so that I can sit and enjoy the pond from an elevated position [with a beer!] Oh, I have adopted a lamb!!

Terracing.jpg

Pedrocut

Master Barmmie
Still no water in the pond - awaiting one bit for my piping so that I can pump into the barrel. I will empty the small amount of water so I can hide my piping under gravel etc.

I have been busy however - I had some railway sleeper offcuts from my raised beds project so I thought I would round off my terracing with a bit of woodwork. I will probably create some sort of deck behind this so that I can sit and enjoy the pond from an elevated position [with a beer!] Oh, I have adopted a lamb!!

View attachment 145514
My late mucker was tempted to adopt this one we met on our travels...

Edifi

master brummie
Pedrocut ,its a Gazania hybrid.Livingston Daisy's have lots of small daisy like flowers that open in the day and close towards evening.Nice looking one.

Ken_R

master brummie
However, the area is in sunshine in the morning and shade in the afternoon. It has an ash tree close by and unless I water it copiously it remains dry even in showery weather. We are going to rig up a seep pipe as soon as we have the planting sorted and this is (after that long-winded introduction) the problem. What do we plant? I've looked on the internet but most of the flowers seem to be white and I'd like some colour as it's really dull at the moment. Also, I'd like them to be fairly low growing please?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Hi. Consider Sedums. There are several varieties including miniature.

Monty Don deals with them in one of his progs.

He also did a prog about taking cuttings from them. From memory, it was just a matter of breaking off a leaf and setting into potting compost. I propogated a host of cuttings 2 or 3 years ago. The last one he shows in the above vid is what I think I have and last year I planted five of them in a patch and they are doing well, even though they are in a Clay soil. I've got another 5 miniatures, again propogated, and have yet to decide where they will go. That's beside the ones I've given away.

Another site I have found recently is

I am finding it particularly useful (for vegetables) inasmuch that you can select your own area of the UK and it provides sowing and planting out 'weeks'. You can even input what you wish to grow and it will display a Calendar (Week) of when to do what for your area.

Edited to add that, although it states Full Sun, certainly the plants from which I took cuttings were not in Full Sun. In fact, far from it

Last edited:

Bob Davis

Bob Davis

View attachment 145514
Where are you going to put the diving board?
Bob

Nico

master brummie
I am wondering how many mice we have. After watching Springwatch, I realise the wood and field mice are the same. I can't see the difference of the yellow necked mouse. Our 'mouse' (only one appears at a time) whom we call Mimi, named by my stepdaughter. She has bigger back legs and is often light brown to tan with a pale tummy. I posted a photo of her on here when my camera was in action a good while ago, in the bird feeder. So she/he is a field mouse. Then Minnie named after my cousin, is rather too close for comfort near the kitchen door. She lives under Barmy's rubbish in his back garden, he has 4 rows of old fencing stacked against our fence. She come under there. She looks to be a house mouse, a uniform grey brown with proportionate limbs. I calculated according to the Springwatch site each could have 97 babies a year.! We wish the hedgehog would come back.

mw0njm.

Brummie Dude
I am wondering how many mice we have. After watching Springwatch, I realise the wood and field mice are the same. I can't see the difference of the yellow necked mouse. Our 'mouse' (only one appears at a time) whom we call Mimi, named by my stepdaughter. She has bigger back legs and is often light brown to tan with a pale tummy. I posted a photo of her on here when my camera was in action a good while ago, in the bird feeder. So she/he is a field mouse. Then Minnie named after my cousin, is rather too close for comfort near the kitchen door. She lives under Barmy's rubbish in his back garden, he has 4 rows of old fencing stacked against our fence. She come under there. She looks to be a house mouse, a uniform grey brown with proportionate limbs. I calculated according to the Springwatch site each could have 97 babies a year.! We wish the hedgehog would come back.
we have loads in the woods. and they get under the out buildings.....The hedgedog has not been seen this year.i think the badgers have had it.

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
ok folks after only 2 days of deleting off topic posts and asking members to try not to stray again once again we are closing this thread for a tidy up....we all have other things and worries on our minds at the moment and constantly posting off topic is only making more work for the team to keep threads in some sort of order and when we have to close a thread it really is not fair on members who stick to the title of the thread...

the team