• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

In the Garden 2020

which reminds me keiron i have to re sand the top of my james yates pub table and re paint it far as we know they were taken over by gaskill and chambers in 1902 this is an old thread but you may like to see the table once i had tarted it up a bit

Looks great Lyn

Nico

master brummie
So pleased today, The hen blackbird keeps using the hanging feeder at last, it's like a little house shape. I was late up this morning they lay in wait for me to fill the 3 feeders. A tube of sunflower seeds, the house thing and a makeshift ground feeder under a half manger basket. They didn't wait for me to finish. The robin fed it's baby next to my left cheek, the coal tit cutting up the fat balls on my right. I keep topping them up all day. Tonight I was watering, up comes the robin, It's full up I told it, follow me it 'said'. what do you want I asked it, it chased off the mouse and started bathing, it seemed to want me to be there while it bathed so I went to get my phone. It left the bath, I came back so it got back in. So I managed to take a video. Who are you talking to my partner asked. The mouse and the robin I replied. Just hurry up she said!

Nico

master brummie
Another new arrival today - a hand plough acquired through e-bay for £35. A bargain. I have a large antique sink to go on this in which I will create a cactus or succulent display. I have shown the Pershore manufacturer - I will have to look them up!

View attachment 145364

View attachment 145365
Before Lockdown a very expensive antique shop had a plough like this. Green. They put out a lot of old tools for people's gardens. My uncle has a root extractor in his and this ancient well sort of bucket? But it is narrow at the top and at the bottom symetrically and it is grooved vertically. He also has an old rubber bucket.

jmadone

master brummie
So pleased today, The hen blackbird keeps using the hanging feeder at last, it's like a little house shape. I was late up this morning they lay in wait for me to fill the 3 feeders. A tube of sunflower seeds, the house thing and a makeshift ground feeder under a half manger basket. They didn't wait for me to finish. The robin fed it's baby next to my left cheek, the coal tit cutting up the fat balls on my right. I keep topping them up all day. Tonight I was watering, up comes the robin, It's full up I told it, follow me it 'said'. what do you want I asked it, it chased off the mouse and started bathing, it seemed to want me to be there while it bathed so I went to get my phone. It left the bath, I came back so it got back in. So I managed to take a video. Who are you talking to my partner asked. The mouse and the robin I replied. Just hurry up she said!
Nico I too am having to top up my feeders daily, especially the fat balls. We now have 4 or 5 Woodpeckers visiting them several times a day and they're getting through up to 12 fat balls a day. Most of the fat balls end up in pieces on the floor for other birds to feed on as the woodpeckers tend to smash them up in their feeding habits.
It's good that over the past week we have had an adult bringing it's youngster to feed and now the youngster has started to visit on his own.
young woodpecker 2.jpg young woodpecker.jpg young woodpeker 3.jpg

I am envious of all this bird activity. I normally have a few tits, a robin, an overly verbose wren, a family of blackbirds and a squadron of sparrows. This year they have stayed away as a trio of Magpies have moved into one of my trees. Even the wood pigeons have cleared off!

jmadone

master brummie
I am envious of all this bird activity. I normally have a few tits, a robin, an overly verbose wren, a family of blackbirds and a squadron of sparrows. This year they have stayed away as a trio of Magpies have moved into one of my trees. Even the wood pigeons have cleared off!
Don't be too envious. I would love to see a sparrow on my feeders. Haven't seen a House Sparrow since we moved up here. Lots of Hedge Sparrows in the local park though.

Nico

master brummie
We have so much greenery a lot didn't get wet at all.

I am highlighting people just to be on their guard. We and friends have had several itinerant people asking for work, to cut our trees or any gardening. Whilst I sympathise with many of them I am on my guard. Yesterday a chap said I am coming in to your garden, and came in to our garden and I had to keep telling him to back off to step back in the end to get sharp with him. He said he was just starting up, it was so hard, he didn't have a card, he didn't know his own phone number he had just bought one, he couldn't read his number he had no glasses, I said I didn't either. I refused to give him my number. He said his name was Tom Smith. He pointed out he had a high vis jacket on. So What? He offered to cut a mountain ash for a hundred quid. I don't want it cut I said. He said he would come back with all the stuff? Masks and all.? We don't have a gate because it is not practical I wish we did though sometimes. My partner pointed out with her experience in France of only hiring gardeners from reputable companies, that if he had an accident, we are not insured, and we may be liable. He definitely wouldn't be.

mbenne

master brummie

I am highlighting people just to be on their guard. We and friends have had several itinerant people asking for work, to cut our trees or any gardening. Whilst I sympathise with many of them I am on my guard. Yesterday a chap said I am coming in to your garden, and came in to our garden and I had to keep telling him to back off to step back in the end to get sharp with him. He said he was just starting up, it was so hard, he didn't have a card, he didn't know his own phone number he had just bought one, he couldn't read his number he had no glasses, I said I didn't either. I refused to give him my number. He said his name was Tom Smith. He pointed out he had a high vis jacket on. So What? He offered to cut a mountain ash for a hundred quid. I don't want it cut I said. He said he would come back with all the stuff? Masks and all.? We don't have a gate because it is not practical I wish we did though sometimes. My partner pointed out with her experience in France of only hiring gardeners from reputable companies, that if he had an accident, we are not insured, and we may be liable. He definitely wouldn't be.
Right decision. I would also contact local police as its possible he has tried it on elsewhere. The forceful tactic is often adopted by itinerant road workers who have a bit of tarmac left over. Before you know where you are they have started work on your drive without permission and then demand payment!!!!!!

mw0njm.

Brummie Dude

my mom bless her had that years,ago when some jokers said they was just finishing a job in the local pub. and have a lot of carpet left over, bless her.she was too afraid to say no. when i went to see her she showed me the carpet roll. I unrolled it on the lawn. and .Yes you guest it all bits rolled up. how can these 88IT HEADS sleep at night.