• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

In the Garden 2020

Edifi

master brummie
Nico,very hard for a deep shaded area to grow anything .Could try low growing plants like
Heuchera ,lots of nice colored leaves and tall flowers.Very nice plants

Edifi

master brummie
Nico.Its called a dwarf Alstroemerias. Maybe Inticancha Red.Very expensive.Look after it.Had 3 of them but the dreaded frost got to them .looks like you have lots of flower to come out

Nico

master brummie
Nico,very hard for a deep shaded area to grow anything .Could try low growing plants like
Heuchera ,lots of nice colored leaves and tall flowers.Very nice plants
I thought if I can get something to flower before the oak leaves come it might have a chance in the dappled light. I am looking to see where the sunlight falls.He has been building, I say building loosely, the fence since the start of the Covid, and he has done 2 and a half panels, I also say panels, loosely, so far. I wish I could download the photos. I will keep trying different ways.Just for the craîc!

Edifi

master brummie
Nico.We had a Sycamore tree much,much worse than an Oak Unless you mean an Holm Oak,with small leaves.Monty Don told me to burn them as they never break down.As I say Heuchera has a lot of different coloured leaves and tall small flowers that Bees Love

Bob Davis

Bob Davis
I best go and have another look. Never heard of dwarf Alstromerias. It was a lovely little thing, it never ran from my dog who’s a large. I thought it was a magpie Lol.
Nico.We had a Sycamore tree much,much worse than an Oak Unless you mean an Holm Oak,with small leaves.Monty Don told me to burn them as they never break down.As I say Heuchera has a lot of different coloured leaves and tall small flowers that Bees Love
Heuchera, my favourite plant, I have about 8/9 in my garden Lime Ricky, Christmas Rose, Traffic Light, Marmalade and I was in my element when my son in law took me to a little garden centre in Glos, near the Hereford border where they had over 100 varieties.

Bob

Edifi

master brummie
Bob,bet was a sight to remember.The number of people I've introduced to that plant while I was gardening you would not believe.When I call on some of them now and they have still got them. After telling them how to propagate them,they say they've saved £s.Got my order in with Parkers for a dozen for next spring,for my little plot.

Richarddye

master brummie
Wonder what Buddy would have said:kissing_heart: :kissing_heart:
We live in Franklin TN which is a few miles south of Music City (Nashville) where many music singers and song writers live. Now my wife is first generation Italian but born in Manhattan NY. When we fist got to TN I was working full time and traveling a lot. She got to really like country music. One Friday night she went to a free outdoor concert in a small town near us. When she was setting up her folding chair it was not very stable, a gentlemen (I hope) came over to help, it was Willie Nelson. The lead off group for the concert were the Crickets (they recorded a lot of TV commercials in the US). I'm sure they were not the originals but they sang all of the Buddy Holly songs. We never seem to get tiered of those old songs. Maybe it allows us to re live our youth! And yes I was VERY VERY sad when Buddy Holly died.

Bob Davis

Bob Davis
We live in Franklin TN which is a few miles south of Music City (Nashville) where many music singers and song writers live. Now my wife is first generation Italian but born in Manhattan NY. When we fist got to TN I was working full time and traveling a lot. She got to really like country music. One Friday night she went to a free outdoor concert in a small town near us. When she was setting up her folding chair it was not very stable, a gentlemen (I hope) came over to help, it was Willie Nelson. The lead off group for the concert were the Crickets (they recorded a lot of TV commercials in the US). I'm sure they were not the originals but they sang all of the Buddy Holly songs. We never seem to get tiered of those old songs. Maybe it allows us to re live our youth! And yes I was VERY VERY sad when Buddy Holly died.
The day the music died.

Bob