• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

In the Garden 2020

sospiri

Ex-pat Brummie
Pete,

In Crete we're already there, but in the mid-West they are 5 hours behind you. :) But it's been a wet and miserable day here, spoke to my brother in Hampshire and he said the weather was dry and not too cold. Now like you it's dark and quiet.......

Have a good one, Maurice :cool:

sospiri

Ex-pat Brummie
Well, it looks more attractive than the dismal drizzle that we've had here in Crete for the last four days or so. I don't know whether we have yet got snow on our mountain tops because we can't see them through the mist and low cloud ! I spoke to my cousin in New Zealand this morning and he said that the sky was orange from the Australian bush fires and the air very polluted - not good at all. Stay safe everyone in that part of the world.

Maurice :cool:

Vivienne14

Super Moderator
Staff member
Always love this time after Christmas as I start to think about the garden again. Already made a trip to the garden centre - just for a look and inspiration. And treated myself to a gardening magazine. Nothing like a new garden magazine and a cuppa, planning the gardening year ahead. Viv.

Vivienne14

Super Moderator
Staff member
Also in the past, it was the time my dad would browse seed catalogues. Are catalogues still available ? They used to come free inside magazines. Expect it’s all online today. I always look online, especially the RHS site. A lot of useful info after just a few clicks.

My dad would check out the catalogues, then he wouldn't buy from a catalogue but would take a trip up to Hawthorn Road/Warren Farm Road (Kingstanding) and go into a shop there where seeds were sold in brown packets (not the colourful ones like today). Don’t know the name of the shop but it was a treat to go in there.

I still love to linger at the rows and rows of seeds. Since moving to the coast 3 years ago I’ve found gardening much more challenging, especially with the winds. Some things which were easy to grow in my previous city gardens just seem to give up and wilt here ! Viv.

jmadone

master brummie
Same here Viv. We're up in County Durham and the season seems so much shorter than in the midlands. My brother in law was picking runner beans whilst mine were still only half grown despite being planted at roughly the same time. I tried growing climbing French beans for the first time last year. Great success and will be planting them again this year.

Nico

master brummie
Same here Viv. We're up in County Durham and the season seems so much shorter than in the midlands. My brother in law was picking runner beans whilst mine were still only half grown despite being planted at roughly the same time. I tried growing climbing French beans for the first time last year. Great success and will be planting them again this year.
My neighbour from hell has just shook my hand, they actually emptied the dustbins today! I was up the street looking for it.He is planning to build a 7ft fence between us at the front and at the front of him so we won't get any light. It will screen his ever increasing rubbish tip.I wonder if there is a law? My partner said that's what the handshake was for.