• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

In the garden 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

wendylee

master brummie
For the last 5 years I have tried and tried to grow the Blue Poppy all to no avail.Ive always done exactly what was on the packet.Thought I would give it one last try over the last winter.Surprise Surprise I've got 7 lovely plants.Dont know if they will flower this year,but keeping my Secaters crossed:yum:yum
Hi Edifi Thats great news, good luck with your Himalayan blue poppies I would love to see pics when they flower. I tried them once but no luck ,
Beautiful

wendylee

master brummie
The more you think about it the more difficult it is to define a weed. A plant in the wrong place?

Discovered this take in the Telegraph on the Poppy. (Not by Boris)

That was a really interesting article , thank you .
I worked as a propagator at a nursery for over 25 years and some of the plants we propagated are now classified as weeds one is a Polygala and one of the Lavenders called stoechas, blackberries too, and agapanthus here are also classified as a weed problem if planted near open land as they spread so easily. As someone said earlier the beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
I love poppies! Weed? I still love them:D

Edifi

master brummie
We have lived in our gatehouse property in a college for 11 years.In all that time we have been plagued by pigeons and Magpies.My wife said to me about a month ago wonder what had happened to them as we had seen neither this year.We were sitting outside having a cup of coffee looked up into aTall Conifer tree and found out why.Getting my binoculars after hearing squawking we could see 3 bundles of White fluff.They are Baby Hawks.What a lovely sight with the mother and father taking it in turns to get them food and the babies flapping their wings as they grow older.Taken some great photos but only have a I Pad so can't show mores the pity.

Pedrocut

Master Barmmie
We have lived in our gatehouse property in a college for 11 years.In all that time we have been plagued by pigeons and Magpies.My wife said to me about a month ago wonder what had happened to them as we had seen neither this year.We were sitting outside having a cup of coffee looked up into aTall Conifer tree and found out why.Getting my binoculars after hearing squawking we could see 3 bundles of White fluff.They are Baby Hawks.What a lovely sight with the mother and father taking it in turns to get them food and the babies flapping their wings as they grow older.Taken some great photos but only have a I Pad so can't show mores the pity.
Did you take the pictures with the IPad or have them available on the IPad?

Edifi

master brummie
Pedro just had a word with my electronic S/law.Said switch on camera on pad then with your fingers spread picture to zoom in .Tried it good will try tomorrow.Dont want to wake them tonight:D:D

sospiri

Ex-pat Brummie
Hotter than Crete, Dave, but we have had some pretty gusty winds for several weeks now. Not beach weather when it's blowing the sand about, but I'm not beach person.

Maurice :cool:

Bob Davis

Bob Davis
Hotter than Crete, Dave, but we have had some pretty gusty winds for several weeks now. Not beach weather when it's blowing the sand about, but I'm not beach person.

Maurice :cool:
That would be because the sand gets in your beard I presume

Bob

sospiri

Ex-pat Brummie
No, Bob, we're not ones for lying in the sun and getting scorched. As we live here all the year round, we've acquired a permanent tan over the years and much prefer the mountainous inland where it's about 10C degrees cooler - and no tourists! :cool: Food is better & cheaper away from the tourist centres too.

Maurice

superdad3

master brummie
Another thing to blame the EU for..............

Last week I found quite a few large dark strippy beetles munching away on our lavender bushes. Never seen them before & on checking it seems they are rosemary beetles which are also partial to lavender. They arrived from Europe in the 1990s and are still spreading northwards.

One of the joys of gardening - always something new to learn!

Pedrocut

Master Barmmie
Received a mail from the British Library concerning July events and one of the items showed a Skylark...

"A skylark may sing in completely unbroken song for 18 minutes – can you hold a tune for that long? Listen to the beautiful song of a skylark, recorded in the Outer Hebrides, Scotland, by Alan Burbidge.

A 4 minute continuous song can be heard at the highlighted site,

Another with the Bullfinch singing folk songs!

Status
Not open for further replies.