• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

In the garden 2013 - 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

pjmburns

master brummie
It could be a mouse which has lost its tail. We had a pet mouse a while back with only half a tail after it got damaged just after it was born. (our pet went by the orginal name of "half tail".)

Janice

Nico

master brummie
Moles have rudimentery eyes longish pink snouts, short dense fur which is black/charcoal, very short pink legs and a tiny pink tail, they are longer and flatter and their front feet are splayed out for digging. It has reminded me of the song I remember from my childhood. I Am Mole And I Live In A Hole.

G G Jean

Brummy Wench.
Janice a bit off topic but we had a three legged Gerbil named hoppy. This one could well have lost it's tail I suppose. The only thing Nico about it being a vole is there is no water close by!.:strawberry:

Nico

master brummie
I have a lot of wildlife books but Jean, I typed in bank vole and up comes a picture like your little friend, the info on him says he lives in woodland. There is also the water vole often mitaken for a rat. I saw one of those once in a stream with lots of bullrushes, somewhere near Stourport. I was about 12 I think. It was the day my mate fell in the mud there. I sticks in my mind

G G Jean

Brummy Wench.
Thanks Nico. There is a stream but a couple of hundred yards away. Will go google it and thanks again. :strawberry:

G G Jean

Brummy Wench.
This white plant is growing out of the stem of a shrub and have not a clue what it might be. There are hundreds of baby sticklebacks in the one photo if you look closely. :strawberry: Jean.

Attachments

anvil man

master brummie
007.JPG002.jpg Saw this rather large Elephant Hawk Moth caterpillar this am just beyond the kitchen door . Nice to know it left 50 pence for time living in my fuscia hedge!!

G G Jean

Brummy Wench.
Dek saw a couple of these in Cornwall. You are lucky they are beautiful moths. Are you going to put him somewhere till he pupates and hatches?. I did that with a Deaths Head Hawk Moth some years ago.:strawberry:

Nico

master brummie
Toadstools have been coming up on and off usully a sign of autumn the glowing ones have started. Had the heat on and off too in the house. Privet has done a second flowering. Bizarre.

paul stacey

master brummie
Talking of Bizarre, my Azalea is in full bloom again, so is some of my clematis, but all my daisies are now gone and I too have toadstool rings in my far lawn, some of the trees are showing brown leafs already, my be a bad winter coming.??Paul

Nico

master brummie
The forsythia is starting to grow brown in places but the Virginia creeper hasn't finished creeping yet, it is still green. Some plum leaves have fallen already wrinkled, the blackbirds are feeding a very big fledgling from their 3rd brood I think, the parents are in moult and look terrible especially the cock. He has lots of white and grey feathers and is bald around his beak. We still have some estereeds to come out and the cone flowers. Also the potted roses will flower again. It is the first year I have not done any hanging baskets. I didn't see many in gardens either. Too expensive maybe? Have a few wild blackberries and lots in the hedgerows. We have had 2 butterflies come in the house in refuge of bad weather I take that as a sign of good luck. A speckled wood and a small tortoiseshell. Wasps have nested in the loft again I hope they fly off. Strangely they are different sizes is this normal? I can watch them queuing to get in from the bedroom window.

perry commoner

master brummie
As regards the Colchicums, the oldest common name is 'naked ladies' due to their leaves appearing after the flowers have finished. Autumn crocus is a bit of a misnomer because they are not crocus at all. The correct common name is 'Autumn Saffron'. True crocus belong to the IRIS family (Iridaceae) and Colchicums belong to the LILY family (Liliaceae)

Nico

master brummie
We have these they used to flower in September Japanese anenomes I was told they are called. Have been flowering since end of July. Also the monbretia and estereeds which used to be September. Cone flowers in October have not flowerd as yet. We had a double flowering of elephants ears too and the gillies flowered all winter and the lobelia in the baskets we took down lasted all winter and are flowering now.We have some Aaron's rod that are about to come out these are ones I scattered from seed from the usual ones which have finished. Topsy Turvey.

Smudger

master brummie
It seems like it`s that time of the yeaar again when i can`t walk up the garden without getting a face full of cobwebs & the proverbial spider abseiling down my nose. Thank goodness we don`t have tarrantulas in this country :-}

Status
Not open for further replies.