• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

In the garden 2013 - 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nico

master brummie
If they can't drink the stuff why buy it? Next door's garden is a tip but they don't chuck it in there. The dog walkers have been pretty good since the poo law came in. This one must be off the leash or it's human. Tell me something nice that you had in your gardens and stop me goig on about it.

Stephen0002002

master brummie
Josie - excellent - shovel lady/letterbox :) ... brilliant.

Bats - we have a couple this year - that come out to fly at dusk.
Excellent fliers - difficult to keep up with them - they change direction really fast.
Would love to know where they sleep - I assume its in the Eaves or somewhere - (I wouldn't think it was a tree ?).

Nico

master brummie
My parents had horrible neighbours opposite. Their little grandson used to urinate through my parents' letterbox encourage by them, so my mum hid one day and whacked the letterbox shut, on him or it, if you see what I mean, which resulted in a feud but it stopped him doing it.
Bats roost in attics, garages, barns and tunnells. My uncle had them in his garage and they defacated all over his car but he was not allowed to harm them so he spread the rafters with treacle to stop them roosting. Bats are a protected species but then so are supposedly the badgers! He also had barn owls which remained. Maybe thats why they say bats in the belfry?

Stephen0002002

master brummie
You can't beat "good" neighbours thats for sure.

I'm guessing the battery! is in a neighbours garage roof then - good point there Nico.

Our agapanthus is just about to flower - its got buds on the long stems.
... its funny how same plants flower at slightly different time even locally.

paul stacey

master brummie
#1044, I take it that you have somehow managed nocturnal flight mate, ("difficult to keep up with them"), you should let us all in on the secret.

anvil man

master brummie
002.jpg My first attempt at growing swedes has certainly provided me with some striking results, like the specimen shown here. I sowed the seed in early April and now have to pull them as they grow too large for just the two of us!!! Left to grow on I imagine they would become "tough". I decided to grow them as a veg, such as a simple swede ,costs in the order of £1.00. It's one of those vegetables grown by the acre years ago on which to feed livestock in winter months. It has now become a super market seller. Very nice mashed with carrots and parsnip . Or is that considered a little "peasant like" compared with some of the "uppy" dishes?

Nico

master brummie
In France they still give swedes to cattle amd they used to give pea pods to chicken and rabitts, mangetouts. Like Nan gave broccoli to her hens. I read pigs feet used to ne uppy with the gentry and now its black pudding and bubble and squeak. <aybe you could grow your own sugar beet?

jukebox

Engineer Brummie
The little bird that ate my spider (post 1012) is very tame and when I'm doing anything in the garden sits within a few inches of me. I'm not sure whether it's a female robin, baby thrush or something else. It's about the size of a robin. Can anyone help please?

IMG_1739a.jpg IMG_1737a.jpg

anvil man

master brummie
Looks to me like a fledgling robin, will get its red breast by autumn. How lucky you are . This year I have only had baby jackdaws and house sparrows.

Nico

master brummie
The little bird that ate my spider (post 1012) is very tame and when I'm doing anything in the garden sits within a few inches of me. I'm not sure whether it's a female robin, baby thrush or something else. It's about the size of a robin. Can anyone help please?

View attachment 93140 View attachment 93141
I would say baby robin before his breast turns red. I topped up the peanuts today and straightaway a blue tit family came. We must have a wren's nest somewhere, as when I walk in a certain part one chirrups and flies around. I read they nest low but I can't see anything. The birds are feasting on the plums. I picked about 10 and they are quite sweet, that I can reach. They are a dull red when ripe a bit smaller than a 1d piece. At about 6pm every night since a week a large flock of sparrow families and a few starlings congregate in the fir trees and chirrup for about an hour.

anvil man

master brummie
Aren't swedes, swedes, and turnips, turnips? I believe turnips are a similar root veg like swede, smaller, white all over and have a peppery taste like radish.

dek carr

gone but not forgotten
Its a young Robin When young Blackbirds & Thrushes fledge they are almost the same size as their parents.

Status
Not open for further replies.