• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

In the garden 2013 - 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anne Watton

master brummie
Nico, spring is in the air. We have a lot of buzzards around here. I love to watch the crows ganging up and driving them away. It's amazing how they work together.

Nico

master brummie
Almond trees are out, our plum tree is a month early. Safety in numbers. Squirrels never really hibernated this year. Sparrows nesting in a crevice by a vapour outlet. Foxes have stopped calling.

Anne Watton

master brummie
We had a bad frost last night Jean, white all over but we are very exposed. Don't forget you can't cast a clout until May is out. (think that's how you spell it).

dek carr

gone but not forgotten
Almond trees are out, our plum tree is a month early. Safety in numbers. Squirrels never really hibernated this year. Sparrows nesting in a crevice by a vapour outlet. Foxes have stopped calling.
Squirrels never hibernate if its really cold they will huddle together for long periods.Wouldn,t be much point in burying food in the fall if they did.

Nico

master brummie
I understand that they don't remember where they have hidden their caches either. But I was of the impression that they do partially hibernate but not completelyn unlike say bears, they would not be able to store enough body fat. But how Canadian squirrels last the winter I don't know. My relatives there tell me they have not seen a bird or squirrel since the autumn, in the coldest winter for 40 years. Stop exposong your self Annie!

G G Jean

Brummy Wench.
Extreme temperatures all over the world. Anne we never plant anything outside till May either. The squirrels have been quite active this winter Dek and Nico.

Stephen0002002

master brummie
I always thought squirrels hybernated .. I thought they stored nuts in case they woke up.... so I stand corrected thx.

The birds by us are more refined ... they usually go on a date first ! and most bring a shaperone :) just in case :sneakiness:

Nico

master brummie
So did I, well they do but not completely, ours dont appear if it's very wet or snow although they might venture out once in a while as I have seen their tracks in the snow. But only one set at a time to eat what we put for the birds, and there are 5 squirrels.

Nico

master brummie
What are chaffer grubs Stephen? Nice planters Jean. They have extortionate ones in Sainsburys wicker ones shaped like an apple with one of your plants in. 8 squid. My partner spotted this brown beetlish thing walking very slowly, looks like a May bug but it's too early. Had 3 butterflies yesterday, a tortoishell a red admiral and a brimstone. Sat in the sun. Cold today though.

G G Jean

Brummy Wench.
:peach:Had butterflies too Nico both down the van and at home. A big hornet was hovering yesterday and I moved sharpish. :peach: Jean.

Anne Watton

master brummie
Pete made these planters for me and I have just put small bush roses and polyanthus in them. Jean.:peach:
Lovely planters Jean. Nice to see a splash of colour. I'm going for a wander around the garden shortly, am recovering from a knee op and am not too good on the crutches so won't be out for long. I'll take my camera and will post anything I find that's interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.