• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

In search of army records for Francis Langford RFA - regiment no: 3295 / 837411

Merv58

I am trying to locate any information on my Grandfather who fought in WW1 at the Somme (Pictured on left of attached photo). I know he was a gunner in the Royal Field Artillery and served with the 3rd South Midland Brigade (which I understand became the 242 Brigade). I have his medal roll card but have tried to search the absent voters list but have found no results. I wonder if these exist or were destroyed as I know some are. Or if there is any other sources of ueseful information that would help track down his movements in the war. Any help would be much appreciated.
Mel Harley

Attachments

• 2016-08-10 11.45.56.jpg
    2016-08-10 11.45.56.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 11
He is present on the absent voters list for 1918 and 1919 as Francis Arthur Langford, 3295, 1 /3 Bde, A Sub-Sec, 48th Div, RFA at 87 James Turner St, and is listed at the same address in 1920 as resident there

He is present on the absent voters list for 1918 and 1919 as Francis Arthur Langford, 3295, 1 /3 Bde, A Sub-Sec, 48th Div, RFA at 87 James Turner St, and is listed at the same address in 1920 as resident there
Many thanks for you help! Can you suggest any other sources I could research?

Last edited:
I am trying to locate any information on my Grandfather who fought in WW1 at the Somme (Pictured on left of attached photo). I know he was a gunner in the Royal Field Artillery and served with the 3rd South Midland Brigade (which I understand became the 242 Brigade). I have his medal roll card but have tried to search the absent voters list but have found no results. I wonder if these exist or were destroyed as I know some are. Or if there is any other sources of ueseful information that would help track down his movements in the war. Any help would be much appreciated.
Mel Harley
Hi there,
My Grandpa Edgar Ernest Parkes (born 1898 lived in Selly Oak) was also in the Gunners RFA!! He signed up very early and I knew him, as altho he lost an eye in battle nr St Quentin, whilst riding the horse pulling the gun waggons. Happily he survived and lived a happy life in Kings Heath until he was 67...
I was most interested to read your post! Wonder if they knew each other? My tip would be visit Kew the National Archive - its 12 years now since I went - intending to spend an hour researching - four hours later I had found his pink metal record card telling me he landed in France March 1915. It was very exciting. However, I would love to find an account of the St Quentin battle and a record of what happened to him. I have his number which is 1816. Does anyone know if that record might be on Ancestry?
Thanks

Back