• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

In Living Memory BBC 1 Today

Alf

Gone but not forgotten. R.I.P.
Remembering Soldiers lost in Service since 1945.

Heroic Stories, through Family recollections and first hand accounts.

BBc Programme on TV

I thought that was an excellant programme Alf
they have made a lovely job creating the memorial at Alrewas,15,000 namea inscribed on the walls, as soon as I can get a lift, I shall go and have a look,have got two of my old army buddies names on there and have just made contact with one of them's relatives in Oldbury

I too enjoyed this programme although very sad at times. Dan Snow is a credit to his father Peter, who I have always admired.
A vist to this wonderful memorial is a must.

Moma & Dennis it was a programme that should be seen by everbody who had a Son & Daughter in the Services since 1945.
Don't mind admitting that it bought a tear to my eyes at times.

People who have told me about being so lovely the memorial its more than that and 6 months 24 hrs a day to cut the names its mind blowing.

I too enjoyed this programmer although very sad at times. Dan Snow is a credit to his father Peter, who I have always admired.
A visit to this wonderful memorial is a must.

Moma P,

My sentiments entirely, I well remember the torpedo blowing up on HM/SM Sidon we had left Portland the day before, I knew lads who went down into her once they had raised her, the other story of a fellow Royal Marine was also sad, I had been in Aden a couple of years before.

I cannot help feeling this was the price we had to pay for having an Empire.

In Living Memory BB1 Today

Alf, I must thank you for bringing this programme to my attention, I would have missed it otherwise, it was so sad but utterly absorbing, I think the memorial and statues are magnificent will try and go and see it soon. Ray wants to look for a fellow soldier who was shot when they were serving in Suez.

Alrewas Memorial

On a very wet Sunday,
I was taken to see the memorial and took these photograph's inside the walls where all 16,000 names are remembered,it is a truly lovely monument to our lads who lost their lives while serving our country

Back