• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

in defence of Dunkirk

Unfortunately Tom, I'm afraid the link doesn't work. Would you try again please?

Edit: Sorry it does but only if copied and pasted into the address bar. It doesn't work by merely clicking.

cant open it in Firefox
keep getting Firefox doesn't know how to open this address, because the protocol (mhtml) isn't associated with any program

Have you tried copying and pasting the address in, Maggie? It worked with Firefox for me and I must say that's a very comprehensive and harrowing account of a terrible massacre. It's sad to think that we learned nothing from such things and similar atrocities continue to be committed in more recent conflicts... A typical example of man's inhumanity to his fellow man.

Thanks for posting it, Tom. The realities of war are something everyone should be aware of.

Hi Oisin the massacre is on page 3 top right of page the actual battlesare on the other pages Ive posted the Cemetery at Calonne and the death dates go from 10-5 to29-5-1940Tom

Unfortunately Tom, I'm afraid the link doesn't work. Would you try again please?

Edit: Sorry it does but only if copied and pasted into the address bar. It doesn't work by merely clicking.

It works for me Paul in the address bar

The link in post #1 looks exactly the same as the link #3. When I click on the first link I receive a mild warning box and nothing, but when I click on the link in #3 it works immediately. If both links are copied into a text editor there is an unusual difference. I'm using Linux/Chrome.
Anyway back to the subject, it was a terrible unnecessary action carried out by the SS.

The Royal Warwicks were the main rear-guard together, the 2nd Battalion Coldstreams, and the Royal Wiltshires, and there were some other Regiments too if I remember right there was more than 1 massacre, The wounded Coldstreamers were moved from the Military first aid centre when the line broke because the Brigade of Guards did't take prisoners in 1914/18 war the officers thought that the advancing Germans would kill all the other wounded too if they found them in the hospital, but it did't happen as the advance troops entering Dunkirk were Wehrmacht, not SS.
paul stacey

Mjr/Gen Burns G. GCVO,CB,DSO,OBE,KstJ,MC, Ass ADJ/GEN,LDHQ. 51/52, Lt/Col Coldstream Guards 55/59, Mj/Gen Commanding 4th Brigade of Guards, 59/62. Ld-Lt, Herefordshire. marvelous Coldstreamer and mentioned widely in the "2nd Batt History".
paul

Back