• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Imagined map of Birmingham in 1730

Mike useful map.
Worth a read is A history of Birmingham (1783) by William Hutton. It's a Public Domain book and therefore free. As are---
the following.
A Tale of One City: the New Birmingham. Papers Reprinted from the "Midland Counties Herald". Thomas Anderton.
A Description Of Modern Birmingham Whereunto Are Annexed, Observations Made during an Excursion round the Town In the Summer of 1818. Including Warwick and Leamington by Charles Pye.
Various Street/Road names relate to the above earlier map.
Relate well to both Local and Family History.
I came across them when background researching. Apologies if some are already on site.
Dave

Been struggling with the gated lane leading through Walker’s cherry orchard from Temple Row to Bull Street. Did it become partly Cherry Street (nearest Temple Row) and partly Union Street (nearest Bull Street) ? It’s a substantial lane, so presumably used by large vehicles ? And why gated ?

This is one of those maps (albeit conjectural) that can keep you occupied for hours! Thanks Mike. I wonder if Kynochs produced it for a specific reason/event ? It’s nicely produced and must have involved a lot of research. Viv.
19635814-E1EB-4955-AB4D-796BDDAD7F17.jpeg

Last edited:
....... I wonder if Kynochs produced it for a specific reason/event ? It’s nicely produced and must have involved a lot of research........
It looks to me as though The Kynoch Press might merely have been contracted to be the printers of this, Viv, and the real instigators, in addition to the creators, were the publishers, someone called "Cornish Bros, Birmingham".

But, as you say, was there a specific reason? (The Prince of Wales laid the foundation stone for the Hall of Memory on 12th June 1923....)

Chris

Last edited:
Back