• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Ilmington road school, Weoley castle

hi Tony
Yes I always thought Marco slightly suspect and I remember John cook the coach driver, I had a slight stroke in march and it has played havoc with my memory. I don't suppose you remember the name of the butchers at the top of the square I worked for him when about 13 on Saturdays he was a mountain of a man and very kind to me.
Hi Paul, The butcher's name was Sidney Barnfield

Sorry but you are wrong. His name was Sydney Barnfield. Abraham and Leah were his parents. I think you will find their adress was Pershore Road. The house still stands and is used as a nursery.
Sydney did not win the Pools as some have suggested on this thread.
Sydney's family were well off and he was very well educated.
My grandmother is Rhoda Barnfield. A previous post said a Rhoda Barnfield was Fatty Barnfield's daughter. It appears there are two Rhoda Barnfields (Aunt and niece?) So it seems my grandmother Rhoda Barnfield was Sidney "Fatty" Barnfield's sister? My grandmother's parents were Abraham and Leah, Abraham Barnfield was also a butcher.
My grandmother married Sydney Suckling.
I wonder what might have sent "Fatty" Barnfield on that path?

Last edited:
My grandmother is Rhoda Barnfield. A previous post said a Rhoda Barnfield was Fatty Barnfield's daughter. It appears there are two Rhoda Barnfields (Aunt and niece?) So it seems my grandmother Rhoda Barnfield was Sydney "Fatty" Barnfield's sister? My grandmother's parents were Abraham and Leah, Abraham Barnfield was also a butcher.
My grandmother married Sydney Suckling, they were well off.
Sorry I was so abrupt.
I am Sydney and Florence Barnfield's Grandaughter. My mom was Rhoda Barnfield. Grandad Sydney named my mom after his favourite sister Rhoda, your grandmother. The Barnfields were well off and our great grandfather Abraham set up all his sons in business. It is a pleasure to meet you. Janex

Back