• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Ilmington road school, Weoley castle

Hi Pamerla, What was your maiden name, I may have been in your class. I was there at the same time as you. My Name was Pat Rose, and I lived in Harvington Rd

Hi Tony,

Do you remember me? My name was Pat Rose,Lived in Harvington Rd. Weoley castle, We were a big family, Elder Brother was Alf, My next sister down Was Janet she married Derek Deakin.

Hi There,

I went to Princethorpe School 1946 till 1952, then on to Ilmington Girls School. Remember Mr Squires in Princethorpe, he used to throw the Blackboard rubber at you if you were talking.

I remeber the 'Dump' well, we were always in trouble for playing there, and making dens. We were th 'Rose' Family from Harvington Road.

I am searching for my friends sister her name is Mary Teresa nee Johnson (Tess) born Birmingham 1945 and was in Shenley Fields Childrens Home in the 1950's we think she may have gone to Ilmington Rd School. Mary hasnt used her NHS number since 1961 so we think she may have gone abroad but where ??

Hi, I am desperatly searching for a mary teresa nee johnson born birmingham 1945 and was in shenley fields childrens home in the 1950's, her family are searching for her, we think she may have gone abroad as a teenager as her NHS hasnt been used since 1961, Can you help at all ? thankyou christine

With out realising it yes Illmington churned out workers for Cadbury the Austin or shopworkers or clerical. no higher expectations of us fodder other than that. I was at Illmington girls when for the first time in the history of the school a girl had been accepted for a uni ..how things have changed and yet lots of us in latter life went on to get uni qaulifications or started business ourselves as we wanted better. so maybe there was something taught us..survival..? lol

I remember Miss Kirk (history) I was in her class when she was in her first year of teaching.. Cant work out what year that was. Do you know the name of the teacher was a Miss who she play the piano and put on the production of Gilbert and Sullivans Pirates of Penzance. Our headmistress was Miss McLaughlin. , Miss Peake (English) did she teach typing. The Home Economics teacher when I was there I think was a Miss Davis small and blond and and bossy, Can you rember who taught French.? Yes the school was run on strick grounds. I work at a school and its nothing like the fear I used to feel at times and God help you if you had been sent to stand out side the class and someone else saw you.. (was only just asking something of one of my classmates sitting next to me) Hard to believe we where taught to write with a ink nib pen on a stick that you had to dip into the ink well.. Untill some time later you could have a fountain pen.. I moved out of Brum in the late 60's and heard that the school had been burnt down. Yes I rember the bike shed and the outside toilets that smelt awful just of the play ground.. and the old gym and showers..Arh....lol
i was in mrs masons class in my last year my friend and i did thestage curtains for the pirates of penzance.miss gledhill was a teacher of ours think she left to south africa.miss powell was the science teacher and she kept watch while we had a smoke in the store room.mrs karim was there.

i remember mr barnfield as a small child i fetched wisky for him from the outdoor on the square.when i was 14 looked after his grandaughters pony her mom was rhoda barnfield.

Does anyone remember a mrs boothe. My wife thinks she was the art teacher and school secretary.she also remembers mr lowe the science teacher, mr roberts the maths teacher, miss punter the p e teacher, miss hacket gym teacher and there was an english teacher, the boys used to call her racquel and the girls used to call her margaret rutherford.

Mrs Karime was the French teacher when I was at Illmingto. I was also in Miss Kirks class when she was in her first year of teaching Miss Day ran the Pirates of Penzance production. I get the impression we would know each other as I was also in the production

i was at ilmington girls from 1962 till 1966.mrs mason was my last teacher.in my class was eileen broomfield.wendy greatrix.tina powell.linda morris .sandra gorden.alice heath.carol brookes.angela ratcliff.carol craney.elaine greathurst,elaine lived at the hardware shop on the square.my name was linda needle.

Does anyone remember a mrs boothe. My wife thinks she was the art teacher and school secretary.she also remembers mr lowe the science teacher, mr roberts the maths teacher, miss punter the p e teacher, miss hacket gym teacher and there was an english teacher, the boys used to call her racquel and the girls used to call her margaret rutherford.

Miss Booth taught English, as did Miss Peak. Mrs Punton was PE and always threatened to " box your ears" if you played up. Miss Hackett was also PE with her beaky nose. Mr Lowe taught French and was very handsome. Mr Roberts did maths and music. Miss Wall was RE, Mrs Mason was sewing, Mrs Hirons was typing and shorthand. There was also a maths teacher called Mr Cowmeadow!! I also remember the boys talking about Mr Marcus touching them up in the showers........hope he gets his comeuppance!
i was there from 1970/75 and was a prefect. I remember the new hall being built. And Sam Small making my life hell. Mrs Quarashi taught French. My friends were Suzanne Rudge, Joyce Stamps and Linda ??

I was contacted by West Midlands police about this case 2 years ago they got my email address from this site, although as a kid thought he was weird and heard stories, I couldn't help them, I was also a member of the "Square Club", and there were were others there too.Paul

Hi
I had a email from a detective at Ladywood police station last year about Marccuson.
He contacted me because of a reply I posted on this site.
I'm surprised Marccuson is still alive.

Regards Mike

h
e contacted

Back