• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Ilmington road school weoley castle

Do's anyone own or have a photo of "IlmingtonRoad Secondry Modern School" also known as the "Cow Sheds" Weoley Castle Birmingham.
paul Stacey

IMG_20140512_0001.jpgIMG_20140512_0001.jpgThis me at Ilmington Road School Weoley Castle aged 13 yrs, this is the first photo I have been able to up load in 5 years. Paul Stacey

hi folks would anyone have a photo of this school please...i believe they were mainly wooden buildings...

many thanks folks and sorry to rush but a photo of this school is needed before 4 oclock today if poss..

lyn

I've only just joined the Forum, so i hope you got your desired photo.
I once spent months trying to trace Ilmington Rd school photos with a Birmingham historian now deceased (James M Hyland), we were unsuccessful. Seems very few exist if any at all.
'Ilmo' was my school 1964-1969, good and not so good memories, but i married a girl from 'Ilmo' in later years.
Wished i could trace 'Ilmo' school photos.

Seen some things on my daughters facebook regards Ilmington Rd school, ( I don't engage in facebook myself). I seen some info about a reunion for ex Ilmington pupils in 2019. I'd like to see how the reunion requests go. People who attended Ilmo must be getting fewer nowdays. But good such reunions might go ahead. Still photos of Ilmo very scarce indeed. As there was a photography club (after school activity) at Ilmo then i would of thought someone may have some oldy Ilmo photos.
I recall a teacher by the surname of Bayliss ran the photo club complete with darkroom etc?

Anyone go to Ilmington road Secondary modern, Weoley Castle ?
I left the school in 1961, The boys school was separate from the girls unlike today, & we only had a glimpse of girls when they had to use one of the spare classrooms in the boys school which was rather odd because in 2nd year my classroom wasn't even in the school as it was in a church in the Castle square & we had to walk to & from the main school for certain lessons & assembly, that year was the most pleasant & I was happy there.

I remember the old air raid shelters which were out of bounds & a lot of the buildings were wooden & creosoted black, I mostly hated school & some of the teachers were sadists, I can still recall some of the teachers names, Headmaster Mr. Pudephat who retired just as I started & Mr Small who took over & gym teacher Marcus Marcusson ( sadist).
I hated both woodwork & metalwork ( making a poker)& was completely useless at both & yet in later life I became an architectural modelmaker & also had a little forge along with a lathe & milling machine & made working replicas of antique firearms for a hobby.
I drove past there a couple of years ago & discovered it had been demolished & a housing development was there.
Anyone go to Ilmington road Secondary
I left the school in 1961, The boys school was separate from the girls unlike today, & we only had a glimpse of girls when they had to use one of the spare classrooms in the boys school which was rather odd because in 2nd year my classroom wasn't even in the school as it was in a church in the Castle square & we had to walk to & from the main school for certain lessons & assembly, that year was the most pleasant & I was happy there.

I remember the old air raid shelters which were out of bounds & a lot of the buildings were wooden & creosoted black, I mostly hated school & some of the teachers were sadists, I can still recall some of the teachers names, Headmaster Mr. Pudephat who retired just as I started & Mr Small who took over & gym teacher Marcus Marcusson ( sadist).
I hated both woodwork & metalwork ( making a poker)& was completely useless at both & yet in later life I became an architectural modelmaker & also had a little forge along with a lathe & milling machine & made working replicas of antique firearms for a hobby.
I drove past there a couple of years ago & discovered it had been demolished & a housing development was there.
I went to Ilmington from 1955 - 60 I left Christmas 1960 I was In Roberts class the music teacher my name is Derek Shipway
modern, Weoley Castle ?

I went illmington

hi all
I was bullied by a single guy for two years, I went in fear of this bloke whose name I cannot recollect. I think it was hodges any way one play time when I was waiting to go to Doc Jennings technical drawing class in the white nissen type buildings out the front of the school he started on me again. I was startled and swung the slide rule board round I was holding catching him full in the face he collapsed semi-comatosed with blood gushing every where. I was so supprised as lads rushed up congratulating me and slapping my back. then Mr Roberts appeared he was well over 6 foot tall with red hair grabbing me by my ear took me to sammy smalls office, I cannot believe this of you paul he kept repeating. When sammy appeared he took me in the office and gave me 6 stokes on each hand and 6 on the seat. Then looking me straight in the eye he said "well done"
it enhanced my status no end and the guy never bothered me again.
regards
paul

I also remember a row of shops.just round corner of ilmington school.me and my mate.used to climb over the wall.off licence.take black bags.fill up with Corona bottles.take them to front shop.and get 10p each for them.until owner got a alisation dog.never went back again.

I also remember a row of shops.just round corner of ilmington school.me and my mate.used to climb over the wall.off licence.take black bags.fill up with Corona bottles.take them to front shop.and get 10p each for them.until owner got a alisation dog.never went back again.

I remember winning a Christmas card competion.which was sent around to the elderly local.i designed with a girl.called tracy.which I was brought up in a children's home.in Bartley green.

I went to ilmo between 1971 and 1975 Mrs Quereshi was my teacher. does any one remember. I lived in Bentley Grove. My mom was Deaf and my dad was deaf and couldn't speak. I left Birmingham at 18. Had quite a few characters in my class.

For anyone interested there is now a facebook group for Weoley Castle, lots of info on there inc school photo's of Ilmington Rd School, I posted a thread about Oxley grove where I lived from about 1955 to 1962 and had masses of replies from people who lived there at the same time as me.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was at Ilmington from about the beginning of December 1955 until the end of the year. After the Christmas hols I moved to a school in Erdington. Whilst at Ilmington I was a “cottage homer.”
I was 13, very nearly 14 yrs old and in a class taught by Mr Roberts who had been in Burma during WW2 and who read us a book about the battle of Kohima. He drove a Vauxhall and sang in the City of Birmingham Choir. He asked if anyone was interested in attending a full rehearsal of a sung Mass (I can’t remember which one) but I expressed and interest and he picked me up from Shenley Fields. The auditorium was empty and I had the best seat in the Town Hall. I remember that we did algebra in maths. I didn’t really understand it. Strangely, I could get some problems right without understanding how I did so. I liked metalwork and made a planished tea caddy spoon. Lessons were very practical and oriented towards learning life skills.
I also taught at Ilmington for a period during 1961, as an unqualified teacher, mentored by Mr Webb. I took geography, 4th year civic studies and boy’s games lessons. I used to cycle to the school from Hockley, books for marking in my saddlebag.
I liked the school and the staff.
Reg VERNON

I was at Ilmington from about the beginning of December 1955 until the end of the year. After the Christmas hols I moved to a school in Erdington. Whilst at Ilmington I was a “cottage homer.”
I was 13, very nearly 14 yrs old and in a class taught by Mr Roberts who had been in Burma during WW2 and who read us a book about the battle of Kohima. He drove a Vauxhall and sang in the City of Birmingham Choir. He asked if anyone was interested in attending a full rehearsal of a sung Mass (I can’t remember which one) but I expressed and interest and he picked me up from Shenley Fields. The auditorium was empty and I had the best seat in the Town Hall. I remember that we did algebra in maths. I didn’t really understand it. Strangely, I could get some problems right without understanding how I did so. I liked metalwork and made a planished tea caddy spoon. Lessons were very practical and oriented towards learning life skills.
I also taught at Ilmington for a period during 1961, as an unqualified teacher, mentored by Mr Webb. I took geography, 4th year civic studies and boy’s games lessons. I used to cycle to the school from Hockley, books for marking in my saddlebag.
I liked the school and the staff.
Reg VERNON
I went to Ilmington from 1961 to 1965. Although there were one or two nice teachers there were twice as many very bad. Belting the kids was the first and last resort for some. I remember not getting a phrase right in English, the teacher was angry and stood over me, he quoted the phrase while hitting me across the head with a book for each word said. It didn’t do much for my confidence, stopped me getting involved in any activity at school in case I got something wrong. Shame really as it really ruined my schooling.

Back