• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

IKON Gallery

mikejee

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not quite a museum, but i think this is the best place to put this thread. Following Viv's suggestion of a new thread on the subject I start off the thread with a photo of the site of the second incarnation of the Gallery, though after it had left it. The IKON left its first site in 1968 and moved to what had been the mortuary at Queen's College Chambers. Here, from https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?23229-birmingham-1969-73/page4, part of the sign of the gallery can still be seen when the buildings in Swallow St were demolished .

27B__back_queens_chambers.jpg

Last edited:
Thankfully Mike you had the foresight to record the building before it disappeared. I remember there being an Ikon Gallery in the City Centre in the 1970s. I thought it was all very new at that time, didn't realise that it went further back. I remember it as a very trendy place at the time, a minimalist sort of place. Viv.

Thanks Mike. I remember the John Bright Street gallery near the Alex Theatre. An interesting history. I remember these hexagonal kiosks in the Bull Ring and vaguely remember Ikon occupying one. The photo is from the Ikon Gallery about 1965. Viv.
image.jpeg

Last edited:
In the summer of 2015, there was two Big Hoot owls near the IKON Gallery in Brindleyplace

This one was in Central Square

This was the one that was outside the gallery in Oozells Square

I worked part time at the Ikon Gallery for over two years in the 90's when it was in John Bright Street, loved it - the staff were a great crowd.
I left as I moved to London but have good memories of the place.

When I am in Birmingham now I usually go up to Oozells Street to see what's on at the new (not quite so new now!) gallery.

G'day folks, love these pics of the galleries in Brum but can I ask a Question? is the Barber Institute open as a public gallery?

It's on Edgbaston Park Road at the University of Birmingham.

Statue of George I is outside it. Hard to miss!

G'day, I'm looking for info of 'King Edwards Place' off Broad street? my wife Eileen (nee Jinks) lived there in 1958
The Bingley Hall was one side of the street and the other was a Pub,? Whitbread's brewery then Pinchin- Johnsons paint warehouse.
the Jinks family were caretakers for years, looking on the map? a lot has changed including the whole street, gone?

Here is a map c 1950. the pub you mention must be the Crown, which is still there, under some new stupid name

Attachments

• map c 1950. King Edwards Place.jpg
    map c 1950. King Edwards Place.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 10
The Crown has been Reflex The 80's Bar since sometime in the 2000s (I think).

King Edward's Place has been blocked off since The ICC / Symphony Hall were built 25 years ago!

Thanks to 'Mikejee' that's filling a gap:) and the canal walks area looks good, and thanks to' ellbrown' for the pub crawl etc.o_O
enough to spend to-day remembering.. Cheers

Back