• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Identity Bracelet

pjmburns

master brummie
I am in the process of clearing my late Father's flat. This week I found some belongings of my late Mother including the bracelet in these photos. I have never seen it before and it wasn't with any of her jewellery - in fact in a box containing old hair grips and metal curlers. I nearly missed it as it was black. I could just make out faint writing which looked like her name. Today I bought some silver polish and hey presto.
One side has her name and address, the other is marked "silver" and has a number QEJX - 129 - 4 (I seem to recall seeing similar number on the 1939 reg).

I assume it is a WW2 ID bracelet - does anyone know if she would have bought it or would it have been supplied.?
She worked at the Rover during the war make aeroplane parts (I think) - sent there for her war service. She was 19 when war broke out. I kmow she wanted to join the land army but believed she was sent to the Rover as they did not need to find accomodation for her as she could live at home in Shirley and cycle to work. Her shifts were 2 weeks days and then 2 weeks nights (which she hated).

Attachments

• Bracelet.jpg
    Bracelet.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 22
  • Name tag.jpg
    Name tag.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 23
what a precious find jan....i am no expert but it looks too pretty to be a regular issued id bracelet and i am not certain they were made of silver anyway...maybe she had it made or could rover have supplied them

lyn

I am not sure there would have been much money to spare for her to have it made.
Unless it was a gift from a boyfriend. (Not my Dad as they didn't meet until later).

Hi Janice, In the war it was advised that where possible identity bracelets were worn. I presume it was for the sake of identifying anyone who was killed away from home. Everyone was given an identity Number and this was engraved on the bracelet or whatever you had. We all had one and I still have mine now. Our family was QAEQ 127 1-5. So my Dad's was 1 and mine, being the youngest was 5. I know they were bought and not provided by government. Ours were also silver but were wrist bands

Thanks for that - I did think the number on the back was an ID number and the 1 - 4 would be explained by the fact that there were my Nan, Grandad, Mom and her sister at home. Mom wasn't the youngest but seems to have number 4.
It just surprised me that they would have been able to afford silver.

What a lovely find Janice, I believe these were issued mainly to children, but also adults had them, for ID purposes during the war should a person be separated from family by death or the disruptions of the bombings. I would treasure this, it is your Mom's history.

Jan

It was an unexpected find. So dirty I nearly missed it. It is small enough to be child sized but as I said Mom was at least 19 and at work. It will be treasured.

Back