• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Happy Valley Yardley Wood

LaytonLily

knowlegable brummie
Can anyone identify this photo please, where it might have been taken and possible time - 1900's ?
A family contact in Australia has sent me some old family photographs of our mutual family who lived in Birmingham, hoping I can identify them. The wooden railings look typical of what would have been in parks at that time, but the boats look to be on a canal. I think it is a great photo. Group gathering and canoe.jpg

I
Can anyone identify this photo please, where it might have been taken and possible time - 1900's ?
A family contact in Australia has sent me some old family photographs of our mutual family who lived in Birmingham, hoping I can identify them. The wooden railings look typical of what would have been in parks at that time, but the boats look to be on a canal. I think it is a great photo. View attachment 144464
Great image, it looks like Perry Hall Park, I can't find any contemporary images with the boat house to confirm this though.

Attachments

• perryhall park.jpg
    perryhall park.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 42
just beat me to it john...i also think perry hall park is a possible...i was trying to view the old photos on the perry hall park thread to compere but the forum is having a problem at the min...seems to be on a go slow

lyn

Do not seem to have photos of a boathouse at Perry hall. I saved them all,(I think), but no boathouse

link to perry hall house thread...some show the same type fencing as in the original photo but i guess that could be typical of any park in the 1900s

Just seen these replies to my query - had been expecting an e-mail if anyone replied ! - and I feel certain it is 'Happy Valley' Yardley Wood Road - the photograph is so similar to the one I posted! So thank you so much. Is there any chance of having a bigger copy of the photograph, as this one shows very small so difficult to see details. What do you know about 'Happy Valley' as a place for people to go and spend time. Was it a park ?

LaytonLily there is a lot of information and photographs here

Was it the 48-50 bus that took you to the Canal,we always called that Happy Valley.Caught a few Stickle Backs in there,,and broke my wrist tripping up under the bridge on the raised bricks.

Was it the 48-50 bus that took you to the Canal,we always called that Happy Valley.Caught a few Stickle Backs in there,,and broke my wrist tripping up under the bridge on the raised bricks.

My old pot and pan used to call sticklebacks Jack Bannocks.

Back