• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

identifying this building - HELP please

Gill Weller

Brummie babby
st martins1.jpg st martins2.jpg
I have searched through the BHF site before posting but with no luck. I am trying to identify the building on the right of St. Martins Church in the attached photo it is red brick building and appears to have the name of Mitchells & Butlers on the top in large letters.
Please can anyone help by identifying the building. Thanks

Hi Gill,

IT IS OR WAS PUBLIC HOUSE. I THINK IT WAS CALLED THE BIRMINGHAM ARMS BUT I AM NOT SURE.

Welcome to the forum

Old Boy

The Birmingham Arms was further away. The brick building was the St Martins Hotel

THERE WAS TWO TO MY KNOWLEDGE THE ONE YOU ARE TRYING TO THINK OF IS BY VAUGHTON STREET WEST HIG GATE
WHERE THE ORININALE CHINES WARE HOUSES USED BE ON THE OPERSITE CORNER TO THEM
THE BIRMINGHAM ARMS 1, AND THE OTHER ONE WAS UP DUDLEY ROAD MORE OR LESS OPPERSITE THE WESTERN ROAD SPRING HILL AND NEXT TO BARKER AND ALLENS FOUNDRY
FROM WHERE YOU WAS LOOKING AND A SAIS MIKE ITS A LITTLE FURTHER OVER THE BAK FROM THAT CHURCH YOU HAVE SEEN THERE IS A MAIN ROAD RUNNING UP TO THE OLD ROUTING HOTEL IF YOU RECALL THAT BUILDING
AND MORE OR LESS FROM THE B ARMS WAS AROUND THE BACK OF THE EMILY ARMS PUB Astonian,, Alan,,

I THINK IT COULD BE THE CORNER OF BARR STREET HIGHGATE AS I HAVE NOT BEEN AROUND THAT AREA FOR DONKEYS YEARS AN OLD FRIEND OF MINE FROM WATER WORKS ROAD ASTON FROM BEHJIND THE KING EDWARD PUB THAT WAS THERE
ON The corner by the aston hall road and the resser done a stint there some eight years back
i can visulize the pub now but i cannot recall the main road you go up off the pershore road end of the back of the old
wholesale market Astonian,,, Alan,,

HI GUYS
Its me Again further attempt to my mind my fianal conclusion is the B A is on the corner of Sherlock street
And Bishop street once and for all the last time i passed it it had a couple of smashed windows and boarded up and the side door in the bishop street had a sign on the door breakfaste served and lunches
it basicly the next one down passing the old lamp pub in barford rd corner
cross over and stroll down there to the next corner, ah well i reckon i will have to go to bed now 1 2 45 pm
good night pleasent dreams as my old nan used to say Astonian,,, Alan,,,,

I have searched through the BHF site before posting but with no luck. I am trying to identify the building on the right of St. Martins Church in the attached photo it is red brick building and appears to have the name of Mitchells & Butlers on the top in large letters.
The pic below is among a group in a forum post here https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=34394&p=430857#post430857
index.php

Recycled pic

Last edited:
Thank you to all who have helped. This has now been identified by a couple of people and the building name I was after was St Martins Hotel on the corner of Jamaica Row. With kind regards Gill
View attachment 99986 View attachment 99987

Back