• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Identifying a Church

ER Allen

master brummie
I was examining an old blog, brummages.blogspot.com, which has shown no activity since 2016. One post had a photo of a church, and the author asked for help in identifying it. No one has responded.
Only clues are "Birmingham", and "J. Hurton (or Burton)"

1708488410724.png

I thought it maybe that too Viv, but its not quite the same. The base of the spire is different and there is a window above the chancel as well as a south chapel. I would say its most likely that the architect may be the same

As per my edit to my original post - It's not at Corby -it's near Cheltenham - Here it is on Google Streetview.

Not really any help, I think the name is J Burton and someone of that name is listed in this Victorian Photography Studios, although he is listed as an Artist I guess he was also a photographer, the address just shows as Aston.

The Burtons seem to have been a whole family of pioneering photographers, starting out in Leicester but having a branch in Birmingham.

I've been comparing the original photo with images of Christ Church in Gretton (Postcode GL54 5EZ) - I think it just has to be the church. It was built in 1868 in neo-gothic style (the whole intent of which was to make it look much older). It's no wonder it looks like Trinity Church Birchfield, since they were built only 4 years apart in the same neo-gothic style. Seeing the dates that the Burtons studio was operating in Birmingham I think maybe the photo was taken when the church was brand-new, or only a few years after it had been built. A lot of those early photos kept being reproduced for decades afterwards.

Heres the website of Christ Church at Gretton.

I thought this church was familiar, and at first thought it may be the one in Witton Cemetary, but no. Thanks for actually identifying the Church and we actually had our lunch in the Churchyard while walking the Wychavon Way back in July 2003. Unfortunately I did not take a picture of the Church itself, but here is one looking down on the approach.

IMG_6453.jpeg

Back