• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Identification of Sports Cup?

RichR

Brummie babby
Can anyone help with the identification of a sports cup I have been givem. It belonged to my Grandad who at the time lived in Broad Street Birmingham. So I'm thinking it's local. The inscription reads 'WINNER W&M(is this a sports club / ground etc?) CHALLENGER CUP 1934.
Any help to know it's history and where it originates from I'd be grateful.
Richard Rogers

Attachments

• IMG_20210110_0001.jpg
    IMG_20210110_0001.jpg
    410.3 KB · Views: 41
Good question? I only know my Dad mentioned his Dad won it! He did not play Rugby. Wandering what the W&M engraving stands for?

He lived at and ran a Grocery shop on 97 Broad Street I was told - he did play football back in his home area as a young boy whether that continued? and apparently cricket in his adult days ... so any association there? So the W&M is maybe a works or an Association club?

I wondered if he worked for a large company who had an "in-company" competition. The fact he has a trophy marked winner suggests it might have been an individual rather than team competition. Such as fishing, darts etc.
Not sure how long after 1934 we are talking about here but in 1940 the shop at 97 Broad Street was a Wrenson's grocers. They had a large chain of shops. That could be the "W". Below is the first few lines of their entry in Kelly's Directory.
1610306901131.png

Last edited:
is that your grandads name underneath the date..my eyes are not what they used to be

lyn

There is just the one date on it. The year 1934. Appreciate the answers coming through ... hopefully someone might crack it!! Thanks
Could this be the answer??? I did some digging and came across a post previously on your site. W&m I guess??? Probably an inter shop challenge competition? Maybe?
1610319718765.png

Yes it is B.ROGERS
I think ... itmust have been to all to do with Wrenson's and Masons store competitions. I found an old piece showing a directory of shops and 97 Broad Street was Wrenson's. Does anyone know if opld photographs exist?

I think ... itmust have been to all to do with Wrenson's and Masons store competitions. I found an old piece showing a directory of shops and 97 Broad Street was Wrenson's. Does anyone know if opld photographs exist?
There's a photo on Mac Joseph's site, of a Wrensons in Broad street, and Hopkins store is shown at 99/100, Wrenson's is to the right
Scroll down to 31 October 2014

Further to Janice’s point, W&M were playing in the Birmingham Works League in October 1933 (Source: Sports Argus, 28/10/1933 British Newspaper Archive). Viv.

Thanks Viv - I don't subscribe so could only see they were mentioned. Wonder if there was a later mention as the cup is dated 1934.

There is Janice but I could only find this one (where they lost) in a final. Not sure if it’s a different league or renamed works league though. Viv.

B77B662A-9399-4976-8DD6-8638F6AAD786.jpeg

Thanks Viv - the title of the cup still makes me think it might have been a competition rather than a league. No idea if it was football though. I know a lot of places had fishing clubs at that time and used to run competitions.

Decided to check up on the definition of a challenge cup. It’s supposed to be:

Definition of challenge cup

: a cup that must be competed for more than once before passing into the permanent possession of a winner

None the wiser ! Viv.

There is Janice but I could only find this one (where they lost) in a final. Not sure if it’s a different league or renamed works league though. Viv.

View attachment 151624
I appreciate you looking at this but now a tad baffled with your extra findings? I guess at 29 my Grandad would be young enoung to go kicking a football around! Many thanks for coming up with the ideas ... I'd love to know the story of all this!!

I am not convinced it is football. If your Grandad has a cup marked "winner" would it be a team competition or was he an individual winner? In which case my bet would be something like fishing.
(We have a couple of shields won in works fishing competitions by my father in law so such events existed). Incidentally Warriner and Mason delivered to Wrensons so there is a connection.

I am not convinced it is football. If your Grandad has a cup marked "winner" would it be a team competition or was he an individual winner? In which case my bet would be something like fishing.
(We have a couple of shields won in works fishing competitions by my father in law so such events existed). Incidentally Warriner and Mason delivered to Wrensons so there is a connection.
Asked my Dad and he says his Dad did not fish! Thanks for 'getting closer' with the 'connectios'

The W&M inscription seems to be an unusual gothic style.

Been looking for a Warriner & Mason logo to see if that helps but don’t seem to be able to find one. Viv.

Back