• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Ideal Publicity Co

rowan

Born a Brummie
Sorting out drawers I came across this pencil in a brass holder. On the sides is imprinted.

Ideal Publicity Co.
18 & 19 Arcade Chambers
Corporation Street. B'Ham

Please, can anyone tell me about this company as I am intrigued. Thank you.

.2002_01012014clothes10001.JPG2002_01012014clothes10005.jpg

It's slightly reminiscent of the pencils that went into the WW1 tins as Christmas gifts to soldiers in 1914 from Princess Mary. It's obviously later than that, but it reminds me of that design. My guess is it's a publicity item, given to customers, businesses etc to publicise 'Ideal' marketing services. My first impression was that this was American, but if they were located in the arcade off Corporation Street, obviously not.

Maybe the Pen Museum would know. Nice little item. Wonder if it's the original pencil. Viv.

This was in with an old suitcase that was left to me by an old maiden Aunt who was born in 1897 and died in 1973. There are a lot of interesting items in the case that I had forgotten about. I don't know if it is the original pencil but it could well have been. I would imagine that there was something attached at the end as there is a loop.

I am hoping that someone will be able to tell me more regards the company and the time scale it was there in the Arcade Chambers.

Lovely little item Rowan. I've had a look on eBay and there are similar (but not exactly the same) pencils on there called 'bullet pencils". They're mainly American advertising pencils. The US was once at the forefront with it's advertising techniques, particularly in the 40s and 50s, so maybe Ideal in Birmingham had decided to apply the idea here. I'd have loved to have received one if that was their purpose! Maybe the hook was to attach it to clothing/a belt so you didn't lose it while working. Viv.

I don't think the firm lasted very long. There was a firm of that name in Finsbury , London , but this was dissolved in 1913. There is the following notice in the London Gazette on 23rd Jan. 1925 that presumably refers to this firm , but at a different address in Corporation St, winding up a partnership in this name. There is no firm of this name or the name of any of those listed in the notice at Arcade chambers or 248 Corporation St (Walmer Buildings) in the 1921 or 1924 Kellys.

london_gazette_23_1_1925~0.jpg

I expect the 'bullet pencil' which Princess Mary issued to every soldier in uniform at Christmas 1914 must have made these pencils very popular. This Daily Mirror advert advertises them for sale for 3/6d (and they too have a handy hook). So if Rowan's pencil is a relation of the 'bullet pencil' maybe the pencil dates between 1914 - 1925. I think these pencils were soon replaced by the retractable type.

Just an observation and probably nothing to do with Ideal, but the Birmingham supplier of the 1914 pencils in the advert was at 24 North Western Arcade. But like I say, may not be anything to do with Ideal. Viv.

View attachment 93375

It may not be anything to do with it Viv, but Northwestern arcade is between 83 and 85 Corporation St, and Arcade house is at 89 corporation St, literally "just round the corner"

Thanks Mike. Interesting that the address is Arcade House which suggests to me it might have been offices/premises above the arcade perhaps? I think the Gt Western and City Arcades had that sort of arrangement too. But like you say, might not be connected! Viv.

Looking at the 1889 map on which I have marked numbers, no 89 (Arcade House) does not look as if it is directly connected, though, of course there might have been changes by the 1920s.

map_c_1889_showing_89_and_north_west_parade.jpg

Thanks Mike. I have a special edition 1912 OS map which shows the premises at 89 slightly altered. And this map doesn't even label North Western Arcade, although we can clearly see it existed (and still does, but significantly different now). And Rackhams, which was then on the corner of Bull St/Corpn St, had started to extend into the NW Arcade by the 1900s. Maybe it was regarded as (or promoted as?) an extension of the GW Arcade. Even today not manly people are sure of where the NW Arcade is, but they are clear where the GW Arcade is. Bit of a ramble, but basically I wonder if the given addresses on this part of Corpn St/NWArcade varied. Just a thought. Viv.

Thank you mike and everyone for your replies.............. always knew I could rely on the great members here :pride:.

I am very curious still on why this should be in the Aunts case.............. maybe it was a 'freebie' like the pens you can pick up in banks, sadly we will never know :crushed:

I did wonder Rowan if perhaps she worked in an organisation that received it as a promotional gift from Ideal Publicity. Even if it was a freebie it's still a lovely item to keep. I haven't come across another in my searches. I've seen lots of American ones and I saw one for Crawfords Crackers that was quite similar. A wonderful piece of advertising history. Viv.

Back