• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Icknield Street Alert!

will keep em peeled kierion...the list is getting biggeralthough i am sure there are some photos somewhere on the forum of that part of the street...will search my files on my desk top

lyn

I see from this map that the building was almost certainly bombed during the war. The black dots represent High Explosive
Bombs, the red being Incendiary Bombs.Icknield Street Bombing.jpg

Hi Lyn, trust me, I am still plodding on with the Villa Tavern and a former publican has led me to Icknield Street. Not this pub mind you. The cafe was once the Ivy Tavern, one of the street's lesser-known boozers. Many years later when it was a lingerie and corset shop, it still had Ivy House on a sign between the first and second-floor windows.

hi kieron bit confused as this thread suggests that the ivy tavern was in icknield square not icknield st

lyn

https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/the-cuckoo-ladywood.15328/#post-635486

Hello folks

I don't know if anyone can help but here goes. I'm looking for a photo and/or a map showing tobacconist and house on Ickneild Street between the wars.

The shop at 137 was managed or owned by Vernon and Lily Frogatt. They lived at number 187.

Cheers

hi roberts if our map expert sees your post he should be able to help you with a map also we do have another icknield st thread showing many old photos which may interest you...click on the link below..lyn

hi roberts if our map expert sees your post he should be able to help you with a map also we do have another icknield st thread showing many old photos which may interest you...click on the link below..lyn

Thanks Astoness

Have done a search for threads containing 'Ickneild Street' for any references, anecdotes, maps or photographs. Don't think I've missed anything but having another look.

Thanks again

Robert
Are you sure about the addresses. The 1932 directory lists a tobacconist run by Vernon Froggatt. This is marked in blue on the c1950 map below. No 137 would appear to be part of the factory on the corner of Pope St. No 141 is marked on the map in red to show its position . The earlier smaller scale c1917 map shows buildings down to, but no 137

map c1950 icknield st around 137.jpg

Robert
Are you sure about the addresses. The 1932 directory lists a tobacconist run by Vernon Froggatt. This is marked in blue on the c1950 map below. No 137 would appear to be part of the factory on the corner of Pope St. No 141 is marked on the map in red to show its position . The earlier smaller scale c1917 map shows buildings down to, but no 137

View attachment 135832
I love looking at any old maps and often walk around the Jewellery Quarter trying to match old maps to present day. I live in the block on the corner of Hall Street and Great Hampton Street and would love to see some old maps centred on there.

Thanks Mikejee

The map with numbers on it is a great start.

Now I have the location of their house (Elec.Role Address) I should be able to pin down 137 the shop (Trade Dir.)

Excellent

Last edited:
Post number #37 to #42 show the back of the houses. Can anyone help identify which building, from the back, was the Rimini Cafe? I'm interested in the history of this building when it was a pub, the Ivy Tavern. Any help or history on the pub would be appreciated. Many thanks.

Post number #37 to #42 show the back of the houses. Can anyone help identify which building, from the back, was the Rimini Cafe? I'm interested in the history of this building when it was a pub, the Ivy Tavern. Any help or history on the pub would be appreciated. Many thanks.
richard ive just taken a look at those photos and it was certainly one of those buildings that we entered the rimini cafe cant be certain which one but i will try to find the missing photos which could confirm it for you

lyn

richard ive just taken a look at those photos and it was certainly one of those buildings that we entered the rimini cafe cant be certain which one but i will try to find the missing photos which could confirm it for you

lyn
Thanks very much.

I’ve searched and searched for the Icknield Street thread referenced in post #408 but can’t find it and the link brings up an error message. So I shall post this on here. If a mod wishes to move it please do so.

Not a very clear image but I wondered whether this would have been a pub or another business ? I think somewhere in the modern day Streetview is where it would have stood. Viv

9B7B502D-9D67-4E7D-A3D9-D8FB8A5C5E8E.jpeg
Source: British Newspaper Archive
6E66AC68-D91C-48C5-92BF-FC29756E99EC.jpeg

Last edited:
Back