• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Icknield Street Alert!

Alan, perhap's it was one of John Bett's sister I went to school with then. I can't remember he christian name though. Maybe you can jog my memory. I don't remember the name Carol Pagett, but I'm sure if she was living in George St West, then she would have gone to Camden St school.
Some friend's of mine ran the 'Ingleby pub' for a while. They were named Walter's. Of course Ingleby St has totally disappeared.

Ragards Maggs

Glad you like the radio Lyn. I bet it would still work if I could get the batteries. There were some thing's I should have kept too. We just didn't think did we?

HI MAGGS
yes magg i also remember them as well that was our watering hole before we trapped down to
the coach and horse then acros to the queens head up to the turf and the warstone and the gate
regarding the inglby we done some singing in there my thre mates and myself
the myatts brothersfrom ickneild port rd by the little garage that was next to the wheat sheaf
that was another of our haunts and we donne the daning down a the old smithy
up stairs saturday night did you ver go there a well ? alan ;;

Alan, I wasn't a pub person really, and only went to the Warstone with my dad on rare occasion's. I like the sing song though. My dad was a barman in some of those pub's. He worked at Stoddard's during the day, but alway's had a barman's job so that he could pay for us to have a holiday.

Please forgive me if this photo has been uploaded before . Max

It has Max, but i'm not sure where, and it was before the revamp of the site, and so may have disappeared
Mike

well i havent seen that before max...thanks thats another one for me album.....

mike is there any chance of a map with the location of it. although i have an idea where it was..think it says john griffiths over the shop...

many thanks....

Lyn
i actually have two different pictures taken from exactly the same spot, but with different people in them. It is actually W.H..B Griffiths at no 208 icknield st, and one of the other copies says it is 1968, which would fit with the mini van. Map is below with 208 in blue
Mike

map_c_1903_opposite_The_mint_showing_no_204_and_208.jpg

thanks again mike is it possible to knit these 2 pics together making one pic or would it look odd.. sorry to be a pain..

lyn

A question for Astonian, the building by the mini Van, was that the Rolling Mill for the Mint opposite?

Thanks Max and Mikejee for the info on H. Walker. Even a small bit of information such as having Mr. Walkers first name (Harry) is good so now I know the full name of the person my grandfather worked for and also the dates correspond.
Thanks Kath

hi dibbs
sorry to have missed your question on the van ;yes it was opersite the mint rolling mills
as i have been away for a day or two a old school friend of mine mother worked there a
is name was robert cowley and his mother worked in the mint during the fifties
and later worked at wrensons on the aston cross store a mrs cowley was her name if anybody can recal her
from that period and thanks a million guys for printing thos terricic pictures just as i an see them how i
remember them as clearly as yesterday any body got a picture of the birmingham stamping company
a little furher down the rd just be fore te pub and the railway bridge [ oringinal bridge ]
before they rebult that bridge and gave it lights to see where you are going as previously
it was lower and dark walking through worst of a late night just like gas street basin was dark during the day time as well that was openend up and made bright
best wishes Astonian ;;

thanks again mike is it possible to knit these 2 pics together making one pic or would it look odd.. sorry to be a pain..

lyn

You'd have to use plain or maybe pearl or even basket stitch, so have a go Lyn LOL

Astonian, sorry I may have misled you a little, the building on the left of the mini van, (same side) I always thought that building was the rolling mills for the mint (may be mistaken) I know the mint was opposite where all the stampings were manufucturered, but I was wondering what the building by the mini van was used for?

You seem to know a lot of people from in and around Icknield Street, 1940/1950/1960s did you ever come across a Jack or Harry Begley, or indeed Ivor or Stan Griffin, all used to work at the Mint 1940/1950s?

hi dibbs
no problem ,you do not have to opologise for thinking you have mislaid me
first part of your question on the same side of the van was the millwrights division for the mint
where some of the tool fitters operated and later stoped being used and just storage for all there old bits of
machinery and yes i do recall griffn ; way back from the fifties ;
have a nice day best wishes Astonian ;;

dear all
my great great grandparents lived at 28 Camden street then later their daughter -in- law lived there and accuring the commerical birmingham directory this was a shop and i was wondering whether any one would happen to have any photos of Camden street with the greatest of gratitude regards Bowdler

hi bowdler..google OLD LADYWOOD..there are lots of pics of camden street on this site...hope this is of help...

lyn

Astonian.

Sincere apologies for delay, I know I had seen a WW1 image of the Mint, spent days and days trying to find it, then looked at my book "Ladywood at Work" and there on page 87 there it was,

copy of a postcard, reverse says....

"I suppose you've heard by now I have started at this place on the other side (postcard) I am an assistant analytical chemist, it isnt half an easy job, this is not aa of our works, only about half of them, as a lot more mills etc are on the other side"

My father Harry Begley (and brother Jack) worked in the rolling mills WW11, could not believe the daily beer ration they were entitled to for the hot sweaty work, must have earned it I guess.

and as for the chap sending the postcard, wasn't he lucky? a "Easy" job in the Great War, mind you, boffins were needed too I guess.

Apologies for the quality of the scan (came out better than expected).View attachment 52595

hi db44..well it was certainly worth the wait...and to have the words that were written on the back of the postcard makes it even more brillient....thanks for spending time hunting it down...

lyn

Hi Charlie, your Grand parents would be in the next terrace to ours they would live at the far end being No6 while we lived at the rear of the Street house 222 being No 1, we lived there around 1960 as a young married couple and had some great times in that little place, a cellar, living room Bedroom above and topped by the attic, recall when the Council took them over they knocked a hole between the top attics so we and the neighbour had an escape route if a fire happened, just kick the Plywood panel in, well that was the theory, our yards were dead opposite the B'ham Mint, and about 100 yds down from The Hingeston Pub, all swept away many years since but the memories remain. The first Pic just above this posting just about shows where we were.
Best wishes Eric and Pat (now at Barr Beacon)

HI DIBBS
First of all opologises excepted graciously and i hope you are all well ;
i have not read the back of the post card ; but yes i did know that they had a beer ration ;
compared to the other rolling mills in brum they was exceptional there
where upon the other rolling mills only got milk and or salt tablets daily if you required
like the old ICI Witton or bromford rolling mills most of the foundryies got the salt tabs owing to the
heat from the furnaces as i worked on a number of rolling mills even the forge at tubes
along with our dear old friend on the forum bazzm,at the same time e worked there together as such ;
Eric just read your thread and you mentioned the panel fire escape between the two houses
in those days and there period bulding through out the most of lady wood all the house had those emercency escape routes throug those terrace houses right up through sprng hill and lady wood right through ryland street and ledsam street virtulay as i have said lady wood
happy memories i hope for you i know i have great memories of old ladywood
have a nice day best wishes Astonian ;;;;;

Have just enjoyed reading through some of the "posts" re.Icknield St.Seeing Astonian's pic.of The Mint reminded me of the time in the late 1940s when a couple of mates and myself belonged to the boxing club there.We used to enter through a door at far end (on photo) and had to pass through the work area to get to the club.Had to pass machinery and open vats of what we thought was acid (used to drop stuff into vats to see if it would dissolve).Nowadays Health and Safety regulations would prevent the workers entering the place as it was then let alone unsupervised kids.

Sorry on looking back at Photo of Mint etc.I realise it was"dib 44"who posted pic.My apologise.
Regards
Pembroke

Hi pembrook;
opologises excepted by us as i am sure dibby will do so on reading ; as i have just come back on
and read your thread you are quite rightly regarding health and safety
what as also prometed me pem ; whom was the trainer at that time only i have a couple of guys in mind
whom may have had you training ; and also i knew they used to be boxers themselves
and later moved to the GKN ; HEATH STREET WINSON GREEN ; to teach the kids boxing there as well;
best wishes Astonian ;;;

Hi Astonian
After all these years unable to remember names.Seem to recall one trainer being a bit under average height and a bit on the stocky side,he would have been in his 40s I guess.Another fellow who seemed to be involved with the training would have been in his 20s,he had dark brushed back hair and I think he had given up competative boxing because of an eye problem.My mates and self didn't stick at "club"all that long,we always seemed to be looking for some thing fresh to get involved in.
Wish I could have been of more help
Regards
Pembroke

Dad, Harry Begley, and his brother in law Stan Griffin fought and played footy for the mint as I understand.

Also, mention of the "Acid Vats" dads brother Jack Begley slipped and fell into one of the vats you mention and was severely burned on his legs and lower body, spent a long, long time in hospital.
whilst in hospital he took up water colours, turned into a quite decent painter.

hi dibbs and pem;
yes i can vaguely remembering there was that incident down the mint
it was an nasty incident people spoke about him for ages it was sulpic acids in those days
and the smell from pure acid used to be abit of a blinda up your nose ;
and as you say there was no health and saftety in those days
i can remember a young albert gough had experience another accident with acid and he lost his
left eye ; best wishes Astonian ;;

The shops in post No 7 the one below the football poster used to be a fruit & veg shop. The shops in post No 12 the shop on the corner was Stoddards
retail shop but correction the abbatior was round the corner in Carver St also correction on the GALLERY this used to be the Post Office/chemists hence the post box
outside. I also mourn the passing of The MINT a lovely building better than they build nowdays............

Back