• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Icknield Street Alert!

HockleyIcknieldSt19682.jpg
You probably already known Lyn but you have another pub in this photograph.

that building you see is the new rimi cafe it was not a pub never was but what i can tell you originaly that cafe was on the other side of the road right on the very corner of hingestion street and and along side of it was the mint pub which was very full and full of fights
what you see was way back in the sixties it was an old run down cafe and then came along a guy whom thought i will renovate up which he did and named it the rimi cafe he built the trade up but he also brought trouble in there for years and one evening a well known gang of brothers came in with a shot bb by the traffic lights he his still there todaygun and shot the gaffer he was a foreign guy ,i just cannot think of his name at the moment i was involved myself with bother my mate a boxer and myself had to tackle afew of the plonkers there over a girl friend as time marched on it was a troublsom cafe just hanging around doing what they like i could say the names they are a ewell known family on the old site they was there eventual they smashed the place up windows the machines the lot by this time twelve months had lasped then they changed the name to the volcano cafe time marched on bear in mind just by the mint pub and the number eight clock in there was another proper cafe where you could sit have a sandwiche in peace along with the bus drive and things flared up in there and the clearence started they closed it down just like across the road they started orders on the other side it openend up as a cafe but nobody went in from the factorys so it closed down hence some body thought of the original name the rimi but the new rimi then one or two people was crawling for tea coffee but the the compulsary notice went in and as you know all those shops was closed down the end building whom sold cars went to perry barr then he set up on spring hill my brothe

the previuos photograpgh before my thread states there is another pub with in the picture but i am hasnt to say its not emediately starting from the beginning where you see two people standing out side the shops ;
Well that was a second hand shop and walk back but you cannot see it was two more second hand shops ajoining each other because its the same family whom owned them the one where the men standing is the grand parents of the family and it was her whom owned the shops that i know personaly and he was our friend we was in the same class as well at icknield street continue to walk on you see the entry another friend of mind lived up there they was from Aston as well we attended st marys in aston the shop on the front was an old property and that was an old off licence shop closed for donkeys years and was in disrepair then some one bought it and renovated as you see now next to hit there is a series of arched door ways well that stretched belonged to the mint and that buildin was part of there storage section for keeping tons of rolled metals within there look at the end of there building was another shop never done much trade and beyond there contiue along to the end of the picture you will see a white building showing before that building was painted it was an old factory then they was bought out by an ajoing company which was called the birmingham stopper company and thats how it became standing out and that is the corner of ickneild stree and brookfield street Astonian;;;;;

that building you see is the new rimi cafe it was not a pub never was but what i can tell you originaly that cafe was on the other side of the road right on the very corner of hingestion street and and along side of it was the mint pub which was very full and full of fights
what you see was way back in the sixties it was an old run down cafe and then came along a guy whom thought i will renovate up which he did and named it the rimi cafe he built the trade up but he also brought trouble in there for years and one evening a well known gang of brothers came in with a shot bb by the traffic lights he his still there todaygun and shot the gaffer he was a foreign guy ,i just cannot think of his name at the moment i was involved myself with bother my mate a boxer and myself had to tackle afew of the plonkers there over a girl friend as time marched on it was a troublsom cafe just hanging around doing what they like i could say the names they are a ewell known family on the old site they was there eventual they smashed the place up windows the machines the lot by this time twelve months had lasped then they changed the name to the volcano cafe time marched on bear in mind just by the mint pub and the number eight clock in there was another proper cafe where you could sit have a sandwiche in peace along with the bus drive and things flared up in there and the clearence started they closed it down just like across the road they started orders on the other side it openend up as a cafe but nobody went in from the factorys so it closed down hence some body thought of the original name the rimi but the new rimi then one or two people was crawling for tea coffee but the the compulsary notice went in and as you know all those shops was closed down the end building whom sold cars went to perry barr then he set up on spring hill my brothe
Great stories Astonian - what is it with you Brummies ... can't get a butty and a cuppa without kicking off? I guess the line was "did you spill my ketchup?"
Anyway, just to clear up the Ivy Tavern bit, I have bundled together all in one image to clarify the building. The derelict shops with the cafe second from left. Then an extract from Kelly's 1901 directory which shows the pub at No.112. Then a more recent map showing No.112 with two more shops before the entry to the court. The entry can be seen in the main pic in the position bearing a relationship with the other evidence. I note that Southall's was still next to the former pub - this was the same business in 1901 - a shoe shop of some longevity! Notice also the Ivy House boarding up above the shop frontage of the former pub. Hope all this helps.
Cheers, KieronIvy Tavern.jpg

will keep em peeled kierion...the list is getting biggeralthough i am sure there are some photos somewhere on the forum of that part of the street...will search my files on my desk top

lyn

will keep em peeled kierion...the list is getting biggeralthough i am sure there are some photos somewhere on the forum of that part of the street...will search my files on my desk top

lyn

I see from this map that the building was almost certainly bombed during the war. The black dots represent High Explosive
Bombs, the red being Incendiary Bombs.Icknield Street Bombing.jpg

Hi Lyn, trust me, I am still plodding on with the Villa Tavern and a former publican has led me to Icknield Street. Not this pub mind you. The cafe was once the Ivy Tavern, one of the street's lesser-known boozers. Many years later when it was a lingerie and corset shop, it still had Ivy House on a sign between the first and second-floor windows.

hi kieron bit confused as this thread suggests that the ivy tavern was in icknield square not icknield st

lyn

https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/the-cuckoo-ladywood.15328/#post-635486

Hello folks

I don't know if anyone can help but here goes. I'm looking for a photo and/or a map showing tobacconist and house on Ickneild Street between the wars.

The shop at 137 was managed or owned by Vernon and Lily Frogatt. They lived at number 187.

Cheers

hi roberts if our map expert sees your post he should be able to help you with a map also we do have another icknield st thread showing many old photos which may interest you...click on the link below..lyn

hi roberts if our map expert sees your post he should be able to help you with a map also we do have another icknield st thread showing many old photos which may interest you...click on the link below..lyn

Thanks Astoness

Have done a search for threads containing 'Ickneild Street' for any references, anecdotes, maps or photographs. Don't think I've missed anything but having another look.

Thanks again

Robert
Are you sure about the addresses. The 1932 directory lists a tobacconist run by Vernon Froggatt. This is marked in blue on the c1950 map below. No 137 would appear to be part of the factory on the corner of Pope St. No 141 is marked on the map in red to show its position . The earlier smaller scale c1917 map shows buildings down to, but no 137

map c1950 icknield st around 137.jpg

Robert
Are you sure about the addresses. The 1932 directory lists a tobacconist run by Vernon Froggatt. This is marked in blue on the c1950 map below. No 137 would appear to be part of the factory on the corner of Pope St. No 141 is marked on the map in red to show its position . The earlier smaller scale c1917 map shows buildings down to, but no 137

View attachment 135832
I love looking at any old maps and often walk around the Jewellery Quarter trying to match old maps to present day. I live in the block on the corner of Hall Street and Great Hampton Street and would love to see some old maps centred on there.

Thanks Mikejee

The map with numbers on it is a great start.

Now I have the location of their house (Elec.Role Address) I should be able to pin down 137 the shop (Trade Dir.)

Excellent

Last edited:
Post number #37 to #42 show the back of the houses. Can anyone help identify which building, from the back, was the Rimini Cafe? I'm interested in the history of this building when it was a pub, the Ivy Tavern. Any help or history on the pub would be appreciated. Many thanks.

Post number #37 to #42 show the back of the houses. Can anyone help identify which building, from the back, was the Rimini Cafe? I'm interested in the history of this building when it was a pub, the Ivy Tavern. Any help or history on the pub would be appreciated. Many thanks.
richard ive just taken a look at those photos and it was certainly one of those buildings that we entered the rimini cafe cant be certain which one but i will try to find the missing photos which could confirm it for you

lyn

richard ive just taken a look at those photos and it was certainly one of those buildings that we entered the rimini cafe cant be certain which one but i will try to find the missing photos which could confirm it for you

lyn
Thanks very much.

I’ve searched and searched for the Icknield Street thread referenced in post #408 but can’t find it and the link brings up an error message. So I shall post this on here. If a mod wishes to move it please do so.

Not a very clear image but I wondered whether this would have been a pub or another business ? I think somewhere in the modern day Streetview is where it would have stood. Viv

9B7B502D-9D67-4E7D-A3D9-D8FB8A5C5E8E.jpeg
Source: British Newspaper Archive
6E66AC68-D91C-48C5-92BF-FC29756E99EC.jpeg

Last edited:
Back