• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Icknield St School

Interesting comment about head protection does anybody remember what I think was called the “battle of royal”four boys in the ring one in each corner when the bell sounded not sure what the rules were but the last one standing was the winner.Although I didn’t go to icknield st schooli used to go the Bham mint boxing club with Leslie Hepherd we both lived George st West

Interesting comment about head protection does anybody remember what I think was called the “battle of royal”four boys in the ring one in each corner when the bell sounded not sure what the rules were but the last one standing was the winner.Although I didn’t go to icknield st schooli used to go the Bham mint boxing club with Leslie Hepherd we both lived George st West

Hi Lawrence I remember you from school days you were a friend of Tony Fleetwood and Billy Gibbins and Robert Smith and Charlie Salt to name few you all came from around Camden Street area if memories serve me right RSVP please.
Hi Martin, I feel sure that you and were at Icknield Street at the same time. I joined from Farm Street in September 1964 but left in February 1965 when the family moved to Acocks Green. I think the class teacher was Mr Ward? I knocked about with Christopher Robinson and he and I worked in the kitchen at lunch time doing the washing up. I can't recall the name of the music teacher but I do remember being totally lost in his lessons. Tapping out beats with fingers and palms and he calling out the time," ta, taffy, ta,taffy ta ah ah".Still no idea what that was meant to convey. :D :D

NoddKD. Still tuneless.

PS In those days of long ago I was called Bernard Dunn.

Hi Martin, I feel sure that you and were at Icknield Street at the same time. I joined from Farm Street in September 1964 but left in February 1965 when the family moved to Acocks Green. I think the class teacher was Mr Ward? I knocked about with Christopher Robinson and he and I worked in the kitchen at lunch time doing the washing up. I can't recall the name of the music teacher but I do remember being totally lost in his lessons. Tapping out beats with fingers and palms and he calling out the time," ta, taffy, ta,taffy ta ah ah".Still no idea what that was meant to convey. :D :D

NoddKD. Still tuneless.

PS In those days of long ago I was called Bernard Dunn.
Bernard mate you name seems distantly familiar I started there the same year as you but I was in Joey Wises class then later Northedge, then Urch, left there in 68 sorry I don't remember you but you were only there a short time that's probably why, nice to here from you all the same sad to see the old school now but at least it's still there would love to visit it before I pop me cloggs good luck to you mate all the best

Bernard mate you name seems distantly familiar I started there the same year as you but I was in Joey Wises class then later Northedge, then Urch, left there in 68 sorry I don't remember you but you were only there a short time that's probably why, nice to here from you all the same sad to see the old school now but at least it's still there would love to visit it before I pop me cloggs good luck to you mate all the best
Hi Martin, thanks for your reply. You're right a short time at the school and I really don't remember a great deal about my time there. I recall that one of the teachers had a vintage\veteran car, Austin 7? Which was parked in the playground outside the metalwork shop. Strange the things that come to mind.
Again thanks for your reply.

Your aye, NoddKD

Hi Martin, thanks for your reply. You're right a short time at the school and I really don't remember a great deal about my time there. I recall that one of the teachers had a vintage\veteran car, Austin 7? Which was parked in the playground outside the metalwork shop. Strange the things that come to mind.
Again thanks for your reply.

Your aye, NoddKD
Hi again Bernard, you just jogged my memory about that Austin 7, it was originally an Austin 7 van owned by Mr Ward the metal work teacher, we as part of the class had the job of pulling the old body off the chassis and all the chassis restoration was done in the metal work class and the new wooden body was made in the woodwork class next door, I've now got a strange recollection of the pot of bone wood glue boiling away in the corner awful smell but very good glue again nice to chat and the recollections.

Hi again Bernard, you just jogged my memory about that Austin 7, it was originally an Austin 7 van owned by Mr Ward the metal work teacher, we as part of the class had the job of pulling the old body off the chassis and all the chassis restoration was done in the metal work class and the new wooden body was made in the woodwork class next door, I've now got a strange recollection of the pot of bone wood glue boiling away in the corner awful smell but very good glue again nice to chat and the recollections.
Martin, Mr Ward your metal work teacher had a brother who was the woodwork teacher at Handsworth new Road school he was also very keen on old cars can't remember what make it was, they used to often meet up at H N R they were twins.
We used the same glue at H N R it did smell but it worked.

Nick S Phillips ‍♂️

icknield st school has been a worry for me for many years...i dread to think what will happen to it:(

Do the present inhabitants pay rent. If so, then surely it would be conditional on the building being kept in reasonable repair. If not, then surely the inhabitants should make a contribution.

Below is cutting from the Evening mail in 1972.

icknield_st_school_closure.jpg

Not looking too good Lyn. I think these Streetview images were taken last year. The building has a very nice gable. But the house is mostly all boarded up. On the upside good to see the old school is still there. So maybe there's still hope.

View attachment 104708 View attachment 104709

The house is very close to the pavement and right next to the school entrance. I wonder how many kids over the years dared to play knock down ginger at the schoolmaster's house? Viv.
Does anyone know whether there was a uniform for the boys when the school was first opened? If not does anyone know of a local school where mortarboards were worn by the boys in Victorian times?

Mortar boards, now only worn by Masters and graduates at their ceremony were once a part of many school uniforms from Victorian times, apparently died out by 1940s.

Mortar boards, now only worn by Masters and graduates at their ceremony were once a part of many school uniforms from Victorian times, apparently died out by 1940s.
thanks alberta i thought they were once part of the uniform as you say died out in the 40s

A photo from 1908. “Now children don’t move ....” Oh dear, there’s always one who isn’t listening - boy on the far left, second row up. Viv.

059C5E36-40D8-4663-BF3B-64C103E2E484.jpeg1CC88A1F-C696-4CF1-915E-EB85EC22B5A0.jpegSource: British Newspaper Archive

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
Hi Lawrence I remember you from school days you were a friend of Tony Fleetwood and Billy Gibbins and Robert Smith and Charlie Salt to name few you all came from around Camden Street area if memories serve me right RSVP please.
Hi Martin, sorry for the late response, yes I do remember you and you you are right those names were some of my mates, dunno Billy Gibbins though, I remember Dennis Gibbons, I later heard he died in tragic circumstances.
Dunno what happened to Charlie Salt, Robert Smith or Tony Fleetwood....it all seems a million years ago now in a Galaxy far far away...

I lived in Ellen St

How are you?

Lawrence

Back