• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Icknield St School

barrie

master brummie
Does anyone else remember the day out at Cadbury's Farm? We went from Icknield Street School, the final part of the journey was by tram, the trams pulled up outside the farm, and we were let loose.

Boy, did we enjoy ourselves, fields to run in, and trees to climb. At lunchtime we were called together, and were each given a pint bottle of milk, and a big pork pie, delicious. Then it was back to the dirt and grime of Hockley Brook. :D

It seems so, so long ago but I went for a day out ( it must have been Cadbury's Farm, it was deferentially Cadbury's but I am not too sure if we called it Manor Farm.) That was a great day out for us, I ask myself did we catch a charabanc ( Coach ) in Seven Street and did we travel up the Bristol Road to the farm ?
There were hundreds of children there from both boys and girls schools and we sat and had refreshments on the grass. Once more it was a realy great day out for everyone.

Below is cutting from the Evening mail in 1972.

icknield_st_school_closure.jpg

Last edited:
Even today i pass it quite often and i used to go there in the fifties along with my two cousins whom lived in ford street
any body recall them ; barry and bryan phelps there parents were winnie and harry phelps, and barry lives in spain now
they have changed the house with a different build type and a block of flats; but will they ever knock down that old school
even the old bike shed is still there, heavens for bid
best wishes astonian ;;;;

Last edited by a moderator:
i went to ickneild street in the 70s and loved it there even though the inside of it was like a prison.i think the building is listed so i dont think it will be coming down just yet lol

hi paddy
yes i have come to that concliusion as to why they have not demolished and yes the interior was like a prision
i was there with my two cousins from ford st barry and bryan phelps and my auntie winn and ncle harry whom looked like freddie frinton the stand up comic like a drunk
mr urch mr wiseman mr kitchener mr fortuneare just afew names i recall as teachers there urch the slipper man for punishment and kicherer the cane
wiseman for releigion and barber the music man both from harborne allotments during the apple seasn we would go up there and scrump his apples ha
best wishes astonian

I remember a Mr Kitchen as the head Master,And a Mister Urch as being the deputy Head his class was on the first floor near to the stairs. I realy loved going to thst school , great for sport Football,Boxing,swimming was atrip up town to Woodcock Street Baths. Showed the school to my wife the last time I was up in Brum she thought it was a realy great building !!!!!
Hope they keep it and use it for other thing rather Buldoz it like evry other great building that Brum HAD

mr kitchen wasnt there when i was there.when was u there?god woodcock swimming baths ye used to go there then we went to newtown baths.i remember once when i was about 10 or 11 we came out of woodcock street and watched as a hot air baloon just folded up and came crashing down to earth. terrible

This Icknield Street School masters house(#303 Icknield Street) is listed on the Heritage at Risk list. It's in serious need of repair. Whoever owns it appears to be doing nothing about it. One to watch. Viv.

image.jpeg

hi viv..i have been watching the masters house for a few years now and to be honest its getting worse every year...cant see anything being done about it which is a shame

lyn

Not looking too good Lyn. I think these Streetview images were taken last year. The building has a very nice gable. But the house is mostly all boarded up. On the upside good to see the old school is still there. So maybe there's still hope.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

The house is very close to the pavement and right next to the school entrance. I wonder how many kids over the years dared to play knock down ginger at the schoolmaster's house? Viv.

Last edited:
yes fingers crossed viv....far as i know the school is in part being used as some sort of centre...

lyn

Re the Hot Air Balloon Tragedy. I watched the entire event from the roof of Aston University. It came down beside the canal at Saltley landing on the towpath. Put me right off hot air balloons. Dreadful event.

My house in Heaton Street was opposite the rear entrance to the school and I was pretty sure it would be my fate to go there when I was 11 (1960) but all my friends from Farm St Junior went to Harry Lucas and so did I. (Not really a wise decision, by then my family had been rehoused to Erdington, should have found a school there).
Sad to see the Headmasters House as it is, nice property - small but perfectly formed.

Peg.

Below are cuttings from the Evening mail & birmingham post in 1972, when the school was demolished

icknield_st_school_closure.jpg
Hi Folks, I wonder what the story is behind the spire? There can't be many suburban schools that could boast such an impressive landmark.

Peg.

Hi peg
can you tell me when and what year was it when there was girls in that school please

I,m very intrested to know Astonian, Astonian,,,,

Hi peg
can you tell me when and what year was it when there was girls in that school please

I,m very intrested to know Astonian, Astonian,,,,
Hi Astonian, I lived opposite the Heaton St entrance to the school for the first 10 years of my life (1949-59) so my first hand knowledge of it extends only to the observations of a 0-10 year old during that period, (some of my exploits can be found on the threads: Heaton Street, The Flat, Pitsford Street, Key Hill, The Jewellery Quarter and, of course, Harry Lucas School).
I've found just by Googling Icknield Street School Hockley Birmingham brings up a number of useful listings and in fact the Wikipedia site (https://en.wikipedia.org./wiki/icknield_street_school) features a photo that could well have been taken from my parents' first floor bedroom window.
As I'm sure you know, Icknield Street School was one of many that offered evening classes and these are shown on the attached poster of 1902 vintage (Note: Men and Youths only at Icknield Street School, nearest school for girls? I'll let you decide - Burbury Street, perhaps?).
Good Luck with your search.

Regards,
Peg.

PS I'm sure I've got an old photo of girls working in an Icknield Street School Classroom but, frustratingly, I can't find it - I'll keep searching, it will only be a snapshot in time, but may be another piece in your jigsaw.
BSB Evening Classes 1902.jpg

Back