• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Icknield st buses

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
hi folks could anyone tell me if the no 90 bus ran down icknield st during the 1970s...i can only ever remember the no 8 running down there

many thanks

lyn

Hi Lyn.I don't remember the #90 going that way. On its way out of town the 90 went down Snow Hill, along Constitution Hill, onto Gt Hampton Row and on towards Hockley roundabout. Viv.

thanks viv thats what i thought although i think you meant to say along gt hampton st...glad my memory has not completely gone lol

lyn

Was it the 95 (or possibly) the 96 that either ran along Icknield Street or crossed over it. The route now served by the 101.

david i have a vague memory that maybe one of those ran up pitsford st up to the prison....im sure someone on here could let us know for sure

lyn

The 96 route (formerly 32 tram route) ran from Edmund Street, via Newhall Hill, Warstone Lane crossing Icknield Street into Hingeston Street and on to Lodge Road. Famed for its many inclines and curves.

Route 95 (formerly 33 tram route) ran from Suffolk Street via Five Ways, Ladywood Road, Icknield Port Road to Dudley Road.

The 96 route (formerly 32 tram route) ran from Edmund Street, via Newhall Hill, Warstone Lane crossing Icknield Street into Hingeston Street and on to Lodge Road. Famed for its many inclines and curves.

Route 95 (formerly 33 tram route) ran from Suffolk Street via Five Ways, Ladywood Road, Icknield Port Road to Dudley Road.

Thanks Alan. I get those Tram/Bus Routes mixed up. The 96 has now been replaced by the 101 which goes down Warstone Lane across into Hingeston Street as the 96 used to do.

thanks alan i meant to say ran up hingeston st pitsford st...thanks for the info

lyn

I had an uncle, whom I used to visit with my father in late 1946, who lived in the Lodge Road area. His wife, my aunt, no longer lived with him but she did visit me at my home. To get to his home meant a journey from the city centre on a 32 tram. At the time this was very exciting as I was more used to buses -Midland Red and BCT. Whilst I saw and went on the Rednal/Rubery trams from time to time, the Lodge Road route, due to the sharp curves encountered, had Fischer bow collectors rather than the usual trolley pole. I was quite disappointed when the route was converted to buses but sadly that would be the order of the day until the final 2/78 and 79 route abandonment's in 1953. Noisy, when moving and particularly so when braking, tramcars had their own charisma and I am blessed, I guess, with memories of them - particularly on the 36 Cotteridge route through Stirchley.

The 32 tram route used trams with bow collectors whilst the Dudley Road trams had trolley poles. This meant that the bow collectors would be able to activate the points in the Parade/Sand Pits to switch the trams to Newhall Hill. The Dudley trams would continue on the main route as the trolley poles did not activate the points.

Back