• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Reeves Ice cream Shop?

kaz

master brummie
Hi,

I wonder if sks can help me.
It seems that my Grandmother used to own/run an icecream shop - probably near the factories. This would have been 1936/38.
Would there have been any record of this business?

Sorry i don't have any more detail but am relying on my mothers memory(!) and unfortunately my grandmother isn't around anymore ....

Many thanks,

Kaz

P.S Grandmothers surname was Reeves and in 1930 she was living at 46 WETHERFIELD ROAD , 1935-39 230, CATESWELL ROAD

In the 1937 Kelly's there are 3 female shop owners named Reeves listed.

The first one is the one I'd put my money on.

Mrs Dorothy.E.Reeves Confectioner, 8 Regents Park Rd Birmingham 10

Miss Charlotte & Miss Elizabeth Reves Shopkeepers 110 & 111 Wright St Birmingham 10.

Mrs Lillian Reeves Grocer 191 Spring Hill Birmingham 18.

Hope this helps.

Phil

There was a shop, newsagents, ice cream & sweets on the corner of Shaftmoor Lane/Springcroft Rd, Hall Green, circa 1961, we would go there to get ice cream, i think they sold McNabs ice cream at one time, it was near to J.Lucas, Shaftmoor Lane. Len.

where was Wetherfield road??
Cateswell road the dates given the occupier was Frank Reeves

apparently Wetherfield Road is not listed in Kelly's so it must have been soley residential unless some one knows why it's not in Kelly's
the only other course would be the electoral rolls

Wetherfield Rd is borderline Tyseley and Acocks Green it lies between Tynedale Road and Fox Hollies Rd. There are no shops or industry.

Phil

Wetherfield Rd is and always was residential on an estate of council houses, off Spring Rd, Hall Green, opposite Lucas Aerospace, now owned by Goodrich Systems. Len.

Thanks for all the replies,

The Frank Reeves mentioned was my Grandfather..Lizzie my grandmother.
Like i said, i only have my mothers memory of stories to go on- so it can be a bit tough finding out things!

Kaz

Back