• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Ice cream shop in Ladypool Road?

bode5997

knowlegable brummie
Can anyone remember the name of the Ice cream shop in Ladypool Road,late 60's,early70's,it was on the corner of another road,can't remember.

was it E. BURDEN on corner of oldfield road/ladypool rd.? it is listed as ice cream maker in the 1972/3 kellys.

I remember going there that was our treat on a Saturday after shopping on Ladypool road. The ice cream had little bits of ice in them.

Hi Bode

Yes it would have been Burdens on the corner of Ladypool Rd and Oldfield rd, they were there for a great many years. I'm not certain of this but I think they eventually moved the manufacturing of ice cream to Alfred St and sold direct to the public from a section of Trippas Bakery Shop on the corner of St Paul's Rd.

Phil

Burdens ice cream was the best ever and as Dave's said type in the search 'Burdens' and I'm sure you'll find more info.

Graham.

Thanks for that ,the Wife remembers it from when she was little.It was the best ice cream anywhere.

Can anyone remember the name of the Ice cream shop in Ladypool Road,late 60's,early70's,it was on the corner of another road,can't remember.
Burdens ice cream was to die for, it had a taste all of it's own. It was worth the trudge up and down 'The Lane' with mom just to have one of these. also Westwood's the greengrocer with all the fruit and veg on the front around the corner. And was it 'Lads' the TV and electrical shop. fond memories

In the 1930's my husband's mother was the cleaner for Westwoods and when my husband was born in 1934 he was called after their son - Cyril!

burdens ice cream was the best i ever tasted,,,they should of carried on,,it was better than henley in ardens ice cream,,,in the winter they closed down,,,,,ladypool rd was a great shopping area,,,i knew every inch of it,,,,,i did a paper rd for halls newsagents for 3 yrs, in the late fifties ,,,early sixties,,happy days,,,,growing up on stoney lane,,,,,

Post 4 says of the probability future of Burdens ice cream and I suppose the Trippas bakery has closed since;
Henley in Arden ice creams have fared better as I believe they are still available.
I used to cycle out to Henley, from Shirley in the 1950's, to a get one - it was well worth the ride.
A move to Devon gave an an assortment of ice cream parlours - usually Italian owned.

My cousin's daughter had a part time job in Henley ices - until she went off to uni a couple of months ago.

My Dad was Fred Walker (also known as Stan Johnson) He grew up near Ladypool Road and when he opened his cycle shop (Johnsons) in Selly Oak, we used to stop off at Ladypool Road on our way home to drop wheels in to a Mr Mattheson who lived in a back to back and used to true damaged bike wheels. Dad would take the wheels to Mr. Mattheson and Mum would take us to the ice cream shop on the corner.
I have now learned the name of that shop, and thank you all so much for the info I have read.
My memory nearly 70 years on, is that it was without doubt the best ice cream I have ever tasted - and I have tasted a few, trying to find something that might be nearly as good. It was so creamy. They could make a fortune if anyone still had the recipe.
I would love to hear from anyone who may have remembered my father or the cycle shop in Selly Oak.

My Dad was Fred Walker (also known as Stan Johnson) He grew up near Ladypool Road and when he opened his cycle shop (Johnsons) in Selly Oak, we used to stop off at Ladypool Road on our way home to drop wheels in to a Mr Mattheson who lived in a back to back and used to true damaged bike wheels. Dad would take the wheels to Mr. Mattheson and Mum would take us to the ice cream shop on the corner.
I have now learned the name of that shop, and thank you all so much for the info I have read.
My memory nearly 70 years on, is that it was without doubt the best ice cream I have ever tasted - and I have tasted a few, trying to find something that might be nearly as good. It was so creamy. They could make a fortune if anyone still had the recipe.
I would love to hear from anyone who may have remembered my father or the cycle shop in Selly Oak.
Hello
re the ice cream shop I found this link , it mentions a Burdens ice cream this may be the shop you are looking for.

I hope this helps you
http://ladypoolspeaks.co.uk/interviews/int20/int20.html

Source: http://ladypoolspeaks.co.uk/interviews/int20/int20.html accessed 12/4/2023 @15.00 hrs

Back