• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Ice cream shop in Ladypool Road?

bode5997

knowlegable brummie
Can anyone remember the name of the Ice cream shop in Ladypool Road,late 60's,early70's,it was on the corner of another road,can't remember.

Shera

true brummie
was it E. BURDEN on corner of oldfield road/ladypool rd.? it is listed as ice cream maker in the 1972/3 kellys.

adele1954

proper brummie kid
I remember going there that was our treat on a Saturday after shopping on Ladypool road. The ice cream had little bits of ice in them.

Phil

Gone, but not forgotten.
Hi Bode

Yes it would have been Burdens on the corner of Ladypool Rd and Oldfield rd, they were there for a great many years. I'm not certain of this but I think they eventually moved the manufacturing of ice cream to Alfred St and sold direct to the public from a section of Trippas Bakery Shop on the corner of St Paul's Rd.

Phil

Graham

GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
Burdens ice cream was the best ever and as Dave's said type in the search 'Burdens' and I'm sure you'll find more info.

Graham.

bode5997

knowlegable brummie
Thanks for that ,the Wife remembers it from when she was little.It was the best ice cream anywhere.

Philgard7

Brummie babby
Can anyone remember the name of the Ice cream shop in Ladypool Road,late 60's,early70's,it was on the corner of another road,can't remember.
Burdens ice cream was to die for, it had a taste all of it's own. It was worth the trudge up and down 'The Lane' with mom just to have one of these. also Westwood's the greengrocer with all the fruit and veg on the front around the corner. And was it 'Lads' the TV and electrical shop. fond memories

PatHayward

master brummie
In the 1930's my husband's mother was the cleaner for Westwoods and when my husband was born in 1934 he was called after their son - Cyril!

JohnGriff

knowlegable brummie
burdens ice cream was the best i ever tasted,,,they should of carried on,,it was better than henley in ardens ice cream,,,in the winter they closed down,,,,,ladypool rd was a great shopping area,,,i knew every inch of it,,,,,i did a paper rd for halls newsagents for 3 yrs, in the late fifties ,,,early sixties,,happy days,,,,growing up on stoney lane,,,,,