• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Ice cream before the ice cream van

My icecream was Midland Counties. In a waxed cardboard cup with a similar top cover with a little tab on it. You would fold the cover and use it as a scoop but sometimes the contents was frozen too hard and you had too wait a bit. (think I have written about this before) The best though was from the shop in Henly In Arden I thought and I think others on here have written about it. However here in Canada the Dairy Queen Dilly Bars are not too shabby.

Hmm think I have some in the basement freezer...hmmm

My Auntie and Uncle were the owners of Henley Ice Cream, for further details see " Google Tudor Daries " there name was Fathers. https://henleyicecream.org.uk/History.htm

Last edited:
An Italian ice cream vendor inthe Bull Ring c1898. I'll bet it was expensive then. I don't see many kids crowded round like there would be today.

Phil

Attachments

• City Bull Ring Italian Ice Cream Vendor 1898 .jpg
    City Bull Ring Italian Ice Cream Vendor 1898 .jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 16
We always fetched our Wall's ice cream bricks from a shop and brought them home wrapped in newspaper like chips. We only ever had the 1/- vanilla brick but for a treat at my Grans we had Bird's Chocolate Instant Whip over our ice cream as well. Happy days!

Jean, was the ice cream shop the one just round the corner up the hill opposite the park. Hope you understand what I mean, but there was another shop as you went up the road on the right hand side. Hope I am remember ing correctly

Denise :(

Maple Leaf Cafe - yes!! Mr and Mrs Kamcke returned to the States (although they were Canadian) as he needed drier air - the voice box operation similar to Jack Hawkins, made it difficult if humidity was high. They remained good friends with my parents who bought the property in about 1964 and ran the guest house and cafe till 1980....they moved across the road to the other corner property!! Mum always made her own ice cream, milkshakes and Ribena based iced lollies! I went to Thornton Road school as well!

During 1949,I recall an Austin van fitted out as an ice-cream van owned by De Laurents Ices. I do not know where it came from but it delivered all around Perry Common and its environs. Quite delicious!

In the 1940's, WW2 period, I cannot recall having ice cream, like many things available today, in the winter months.

At around May time, our local confectioner, Clarkes of 63, Anderton Road, Sparkbrook, would start making ice cream. We would pop over to the shop, and have either a cornet or wafer ice cream, which was all in a large box type container, with a heavy lid, situated on one side of the counter. We really appreciated ice cream in those days. Cost of ice cream was around a penny or 'tuppence'** (**never said two pence!) in old money!!

Eddie

Back