• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

I must be pig-headed

Peter Walker

gone but not forgotten
About 18 months ago I started to set up what I hoped would be a comprehensive database of Birmingham pubs. I have done the same for smaller areas like Croydon, where I live, but there were about eight times as many places in the Birmingham area, so it was quite a challenge. It started off quite well, but I was not used to the Microsoft Excel programme I was using, and I ended up scrambling the data rather than sorting it. That was over six months ago, but I was still able to retrieve some material. Then about six weeks ago I killed off my hard disk, and had no back-up either, so I was left with absolutely nothing. This was very vexing, as I was just beginning to see the benefit of such a document, which many peiple would find useful,
So about two weeks ago, I decided I would start all over again. It all goes quite a bit faster second time round, as I know what to expect, and most important, how to sort and manipulate the data. So over the next few months I should have a fairly complete list of Brum pubs and publicans from 1780s to 1973 over two centuries, from the 1770s to the 1970s, all taken from directories.
If and when I ever finish that I should like to get on with a second attempt at a classified directory of Birmingham trades taken from Robson's excellent 1839 directory. I did a map to go with it, which I have also lost. So that's a long way back in the queue.
Peter

Peter, you are gem, you really are. Up for the challenge and not to be daunted one bit along the way. The "end product" will be super I am sure
and totally worthwhile in every way.

Great project Peter! :great:I hope it goes more smoothly this time. Must say I admire your sticking power - you obviously don't live by the same code as me: If at first you don't succeed destroy any evidence that you ever attempted it. 8)

I tried visiting Peters site and it locked up my computer. This happened to me one time before. What am I doing wrong?

I must be pig headed

Peter I admire your tenacity and do hope all goes well for you this time. I am a co-pupil of Osins I'm afraid.

Peter,

Hope you have complete success with your project. :happy:

Guess you will be backing up on a regular basis......... :wink:

If you need any help transcribing, I am a retiree with time on my hands :great:

Good luck with your project. I've just moved back to Birmingham after an absence of 27 years and all the pubs I knew have gone. I have spent the last 9 months trying to find a traditional pub and I can't find a single pub that I like!!!
All the pubs seem to be glorified restaurants that serve drink as a sideline.:Aah:

Good luck with your project Peter. Prodigal-son you should have a word with Peter he seems to find them!

By way of a general report, I've done quite a bit towards rebuilding what I lost before, and am making sure it is fully backed up this time. It's all a lot easier when you know roughly what is coming before you get there. I know I could never finish it - even if I was born again.
By way of answers to earlier posts, thank you again RayD for your offer, which I have only just noticed, last time things went pear-shaped when errindoors was packed off to hospital. I will get back to you soon by PM.
To Prodigalson - Hello and welcome to the site. What you say about pubs in Brum applies everywhere else in the UK I fear. If you like drinking without eating at the same time, your best place is the Wellington in Bennetts Hill, in an old insurance office just off Colmore Row. Not only is the range of beers and ciders superb, but if you insist on eating, they provide plates and cutlery to use with any food you care to bring in. And they wash them up afterwards! There are quite a few other places, but we have to be prepared for the odd disappointment - now and then you find a cracker, even today!
Peter

Thank you Peter. I shall continue my quest and as soon as I find a propper pub I shall let it be known on this site.
My search for the Holy Grail continues......
:D

Try the newly (sympathetically) refurbished Old Contemptibles, in Livery Street nr Snow Hill Station. A gem!

I've been to The Old Contemptibles and although it is a very nice cafe it is NOT the type of traditional pub that I am looking for.There are menus on the tables for Gods sake!!!!!!
The Wellington on Bennets Hill is the closest that I have found so far. My only critisism is that there are no bar stools there and I like to sit at the bar.
Thanks anyway but my quest continues......... :)

I know its sad for you traditionalists but today I think Pubs have to sell food just to stay open. I wonder if Frothblower could help in your quest.

Have you been to the Griffin Inn at Shustoke I think they only serve food weekdays, its very traditional inside.

Thanks Moma P. I could probably get to Shustoke but I'm dam certain I'd never get back:redface:I'll keep searching in Brum.???

The best pub nearest to you is 'Duke'. Duke Street, Sutton Coldfield, this
is the only one I know of.

Last edited by a moderator:
Try The Bull, Price Street - Nr. St Chad's Cathedral, in the Gun Quarter. Sorry, food is served, but it's a good old fashioned 18th century pub with bags of character and atmosphere, and traditional hand pulled cask ales. The bar stools are just waiting for you to park yourself. And Rose the landlady is smashing! :)

Shustoke is only just down the Road in real terms from Castle Vale. Prod Son:)

researching pubs!

I suggest you add a little water to the drinks! or don't try using your pc straight after doing your research!

But more seriously - thanks I am sure it will be extremely useful.

Back