• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

'I & DL' 1932?

bnek

Afternoon all,

Attached is a postcard of a football team believed to be in the Birmingham area. The football is marked with 'I & DL' and the year is 1932, i am lead to believe it could well be a works team. Any information or potential sources of information would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Ben

Attachments

• I & DL.png
    I & DL.png
    844.5 KB · Views: 26
Have looked through the Is in the 1932 Kellys and can find no firm that fits. I think John's suggestion is most likely. Not much use, but the players seem to have the same badge on their shirts. Probably not much use, but enlarged and sharpened below:

I & DLa.jpg

Hi Mike, thanks for the reply - what is 'Kellys'?

Hi John - likewise thankyou, it was something i had considered.

Ben

Kellys directory. It listed addresses of businesses and some private people up till 1973

Could be Ipswich & District League FC (see below), can't find a suitable match in Birmingham.
The Suffolk and Ipswich Football League is a football competition based in Suffolk, England. The league has a total of eight divisions; the Senior Division and Divisions 1–3 for first teams, three divisions (Leagues A, B and C) for reserve teams, and Division 4, which is for open to both first teams and reserves and is subordinate to both Division 3 and League C. The Senior Division is at step 7 (or level 11) of the National League System. The league was founded in 1896 as the Ipswich & District League changing its name in 1978.[1]

I glanced at Ipswich a wile ago but didn't spot the reference you did. I Don't think the photo is Birmingham and Ipswich is as good a choice as anywhere.

Thanks for responses everyone.

Ipswich and District League FC would suggest it might be a representative side who would play other local counties etc

My research continues - thanks again!

Back