• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Hyia from Ian.

Ian Forrester

proper brummie kid
Just on for the first time and don't really know what I'm doing !
Hope to eventually find some stuff on Birmingham Fire Brigade.

Hi Ian and welcome to the forum. Go to Home and scroll down where you will come to the fire service. Jean.

Hello Ian Welcome to the forum lots of stuff about the fire brigade available enjoy your research LOL:)

Hi Ian - my Aunt - Ruby Maddox served the BFB from being called up in the war right through till retirement at 60! She worked i sites and buildings at Central Fire Station. I grew up with the family of BFB - will help you if I can!
Jan Hedger

Hello Jan,
Yes, Ruby was very well known at Fire Service Headquarters and one of the
characters we don't seem to get many of these days. I knew her professionally and I think she is actually mentioned in one of the publications
by the Fire Service.
Thanks for your note.
Ian.

I am so, so happy to hear from someone who knew my dear Aunty Ruby - how wonderful! She was the best Aunt and I miss her. Many fantastic memories!
I spent so many happy hours at Central - things were so much more relaxed then - I could even go up on my own in the school holidays. People are usually shocked when I say - I remember wooden ladders and the arrival of Simon Snorkel! Not forgetting the visit by the Move to shoot their video to A Fire Brigade!
Names I knew and remember - George Merrill (he was a family friend and came to her funeral) Chippy Carpenter, Brenda Chapmen (Control) Edna Bayliss, they are the immediate ones that spring to mind + those folk in sites and buildings of course. Aunty Ruby was very social and the Fire Brigade was her life.
Thank you once again for your wonderful comments and posting!
Ps I was always daunted to walk through the staff office - all them men in uniforms and smoking pipes - they watched me grow up!
I do have some photo's will work how to post them and do so when a window allows.
Jan

Sorry, yes she is mentioned twice in the book brought out to mark the centenary, I believe, I do have a copy of the book.
Jan

Jan,
Several well known names there. Of the Merrell brothers, one went on to be Chief Fire Officer and the other a lesser senior officer, George welcomed the Queen to the station when she came to thank everyone for their work at the Birmingham pub bombings (March 1975).
I still see Chippy Carpenter regularly as she belongs to the National Assoc
of Retired Firefighters who meet often. I'll see if she remembers you !
Ian.

Yes I remember George Merrill meeting the queen! I know Chippy well - she and my Aunt remained great friends, and we met often and went out for meals. I must write and catch up with her! Last heard when we exchanged Christmas cards!
Jan
ps this has been a real boost for me!

Back