• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Hybrid & electric cars

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just getting back to matters Brummie for a moment! My first car was an Austin A30. New, out of the factory not more than a mile from where I was living. That used to do something approaching 40 miles to the gallon on petrol that was much more crudely refined than today and presumably as it was less interfered with used less of our precious resources. My current all singing, all dancing Toyota
The old petrol contained lead which was thus emitted and contaminated anywhere near the roads and was ingested by everyone, including children.

commercial petrol commonly called red petrol

At most retail gasoline stations, three octane grades are offered, 87 (regular), 89 (mid-grade), and 91-93 (premium). The higher the octane number, the more resistant the gasoline mixture is to knock. The use of higher octane fuels also enables higher compression ratios,
In the early 20th century, automotive manufacturers were searching for a chemical that would reduce engine knock. In 1921, automotive engineers working for General Motors discovered that tetraethyl lead (better known as lead) provided octane to gasoline, preventing engine knock. While aromatic hydrocarbons (such as benzene) and alcohols (such as ethanol) were also known octane providers at the time, lead was the preferred choice due to its lower production cost. Leaded gasoline was the predominant fuel type in until the Environmental agency began phasing it out in the mid-1970s because of proven serious health impacts.

The old petrol contained lead which was thus emitted and contaminated anywhere near the roads and was ingested by everyone, including children.
We as children also ingested lead in the water we drank, absorbed from the lead pipes that were not phased out until the 1960’s 1970’s, They were also exposed to the lead in paint on their toys, on furniture, and on pencils, etc. Far more dangerous was the asbestos dust from brake shoes. This never gets a mention. I’m surprised any of us survived. Some of grandma‘s remedies are now thought to be dangerous, but we survived. Any of you remember Borax and honey on sore gums, Sulphur and treacle for the bowels. We survived. AC.

We as children also ingested lead in the water we drank, absorbed from the lead pipes that were not phased out until the 1960’s 1970’s, They were also exposed to the lead in paint on their toys, on furniture, and on pencils, etc. Far more dangerous was the asbestos dust from brake shoes. This never gets a mention. I’m surprised any of us survived. Some of grandma‘s remedies are now thought to be dangerous, but we survived. Any of you remember Borax and honey on sore gums, Sulphur and treacle for the bowels. We survived. AC.
We survived but 100,000s if not millions didn't

Survival is but one aspect, but it is not the only one. This response may take me off topic here in which case no doubt the moderators will rectify the situation.
We may have created a safer world, but whether we have created a better on is open to question. So many dangers in our environment have been removed. The Birmingham of my youth was a filthy, coal blackened city, full of disease and deprivation, yet it was a vibrant living thing. Somewhere I could be proud of. In it was still produced everything from motor cars to rings, from patterns for machine tools to pen nibs. Unlike almost everywhere else in the UK almost everyone was welcome regardless of race, religion or colour of skin. Fifty plus years later I see a city that has delusions of grandeur but is litter and graffiti ridden and appears to have no soul, no centre and even less hope

I am on my second Nissan Leaf (100% electric). I will be exchanging my present Leaf for my third 'all electric' vehicle in March 2022.
Would I replace it with a petrol/diesel engine vehicle? NO.
I wouldn't say that 100% electric vehicles are going to be the saviour of the world as we keep being told, but they do have their place in the transport system.
I think one of the main factors that stops people buying an electric vehicle is the perceived lack of charging points.
There are almost 20,000 electric vehicle charging points in the U.K to date.
When you own an all electric vehicle the thing most people find difficult is planning their journey between charging points plus having an alternative charging point if the one you visit is out of order or being used.
Cost of running is dirt cheap (I know they are expensive when new).
I pay 15p per kw/h at home, this is my most expensive day time rate. Driven carefully I achieve 4miles per kw. This works out at about £1.50 per 40 miles of travel. A petrol engine vehicle giving you 40 mpg would cost £6.00 approx.
Has anyone got a fully electric car? I`ve got my eye on a couple, VW ID3 or Hyundai Kona. It all seems a bit complicated with different cables, which charging station to use etc. Hopefully it`s not as scary as that !!

I bought a 2014 Renault Zoe with just 32k miles at a bargain price of £3200 all included from a liquidators auction on the 7th of this month and have just started using it, so far the charging has cost nothing using the pod-point charger at the local Tesco.
There are a lot of free to use chargers at all the Tesco supermarkets, the Co-ops and the Premier Inns using the pod-point app, (I doubt that will last.)

The battery is leased at £49 a month so adding about £1500 to the cost over three years, the lease charge includes a breakdown service for any breakdown, similar to the AA, RAC or Green flag.

Compared with the £50 a time fuel top ups on my 2.0 Litre diesel Citroen and the £315 annual road tax I should be well in pocket.

Has anyone got a fully electric car? I`ve got my eye on a couple, VW ID3 or Hyundai Kona. It all seems a bit complicated with different cables, which charging station to use etc. Hopefully it`s not as scary as that !!
Smudged, we are looking for a new car and coming out of that and truck industry it’s not at this point a yes or no decision. In part like Bob J says you need to look at the numbers. Mikes article and the charger sizes is also of concern.
We buy good cars new and keep them for a while. The current car we are trading in is 13 years old the one before 16 years. We also have a 3 year old car. All electrics at this point are not proven at this age. And when you add back battery replacement and disposal (US) it not so competitive. Fuel in the US is still relatively inexpensive compared to Europe.
At this point we think we will go with a hybrid. Annual miles driven in the US is 12 to 14,000, we usually take a couple of long trips per year to visit family, each about 2,000 to 2,500 miles which would be difficult in rural areas for charging stations. We also expect that charging costs will escalate over time to at least cover infrastructure costs. Price of regular fuel in TN $2.80 per us gallon in California it over $6.00.
This is what we are looking at, I hope this helps!

The problem with hybrids here is with the cities maybe not accepting them in the ULEZ areas because they mainly run on fossil fuel, the electric motor only providing a small percentage of the running,

The problem with hybrids here is with the cities maybe not accepting them in the ULEZ areas because they mainly run on fossil fuel, the electric motor only providing a small percentage of the running,
So I understand Eric…..I represent a Swedish company in the US and one of the principles was saying that hybrid rules(my words) were changing, making the batter portion larger and larger. To your point the original versions had ver small batteries running mostly on fossil fuel.
I think the direction is clear but unless it is planned properly not like Mikes article, we will all pay dearly!

remember them​

:grinning:
The Mini Moke, the cult classic off-road reworking of the original Mini, is back – and it’s gone electric

The first production Mini Moke with 10” wheels was manufactured in January 1964 at BMC’s Longbridge factory in Birmingham, England. Production continued until late October 1968 when around 15,000 English Mokes had been produced, 90% of which were exported.1667488720851.png1667488132846.png1667487968851.png

Last edited:

remember them​

:grinning:
The Mini Moke, the cult classic off-road reworking of the original Mini, is back – and it’s gone electric

The first production Mini Moke with 10” wheels was manufactured in January 1964 at BMC’s Longbridge factory in Birmingham, England. Production continued until late October 1968 when around 15,000 English Mokes had been produced, 90% of which were exported.View attachment 174523View attachment 174520View attachment 174519
We had quite a few in the US. I think people were surprised when they stopped making them instead of up dating them.

They seem to be made quite popular following the Patrick McGoohan series The Prisoner.

I hand painted one for a guy once and even sign wrote the word MOKE on the front

We have had Hybrid Honda Civic cars for a number of years now and would not change. However if the battery does go, or nears the end of it's life, as our last one did, the cost of a new battery is very expensive, over £2000

We have had Hybrid Honda Civic cars for a number of years now and would not change. However if the battery does go, or nears the end of it's life, as our last one did, the cost of a new battery is very expensive, over £2000
Glad you are enjoying your Honda hybrid.
When a traction battery 'fails' in any modern electric vehicle, replacing the whole battery is not the only option. Traction batteries are made up of separate individual cells. The individual cells can be tested and faulty cell(s) replaced, saving a great deal of expense. I am on my second Nissan Leaf, so far no problems.

I`m picking up my ev car on Monday ( ePeugeot 2008 ). It`s not the car i originally wanted but electric cars are few & far between at the moment & will be for some time. I`m talking about Motability cars, i believe to buy retail it`s a bit easier.

How did the guy who invented the first clock know what time it was.

I`m picking up my ev car on Monday ( ePeugeot 2008 ). It`s not the car i originally wanted but electric cars are few & far between at the moment & will be for some time. I`m talking about Motability cars, i believe to buy retail it`s a bit easier.

How did the guy who invented the first clock know what time it was.
by the stars:grinning:

Does anyone know how to input a postcode into a Peugeot e2008? I find this car is far too complicated for the likes of me & any help would be appreciated. I`ve been into the manual but can find no reference to postcodes.

This was copied from the BBC site.

An electric vehicle charging site that can cater for 180 cars simultaneously opens on Thursday.
The hub at the NEC, said to be the largest of its type in the UK, has been funded by private investment.
Partners say it includes more than 30 DC charging points that can fully charge a car in under 30 minutes, alongside 150 AC charging stations.
Chancellor Jeremy Hunt said: "The ground-breaking site will be a major transport hub for the future."
He said the site on the outskirts of Birmingham was well-located at the heart of the UK motorway network, including the M42, M46 and A45 and the new HS2 interchange railway station.
The project has been developed by a three-way collaboration between the NEC, EV Network and bp pulse, the latter of which is operator.
Planning permission for the project was granted in May 2022.

Not knowledgeable enough to comment on the facts of the article, but it should be noted that the page is on a site promoting delivery vehicles with battery changing facilities, thus not needing fast charging

does fast charging damages the e vehicle battery over time?
From a technical standpoint rapid charging is detrimental to the life of the battery. some of the new batteries are better, maybe less bad. We have seen those effects in the US on people driving long distances looking for a quick charge.
My brother-in-law recently sold his rebuilt MG TD for a lot of money, (primarily because he really could not service it anymore) and purchased a Chevrolet Bolt small EV. Keep in mind that driving distances in the US are much greater than the UK. He is a retired attorney, so he wanted to understand the product life cycle of the battery. Given his driving pattern he could expect the battery to last 5 or 6 years. The new car cost $27,000USD, less $7,000 USD government rebate. A new battery at today's prices including install and disposal is $16,500. In 6 years, it will be $20,000.00.

Not knowledgeable enough to comment on the facts of the article, but it should be noted that the page is on a site promoting delivery vehicles with battery changing facilities, thus not needing fast charging
Most new homes in the US are built with the option for charging stations in their garages. My daughter's new home has a 3 car all with charging stations.

In the future I think this will be so here, though half of the builders at present dont seem capable of completing them to the full spec

slow slow quick quick slow

DC quick charging is very useful if you need to drive more than the vehicle’s single-charge range in a single day, or you just simply forgot to charge up last night and are hovering below the 30% range. DC quick chargers can dump upwards of 130 kms of range into the bat in 30 minutes. However, the batteries pay a price for this convenience.
Battery performance and durability can deteriorate if the DC charger is used constantly.
Use of DC charging should be minimized in order to help prolong battery life. The life expectancy of most EV batteries is about 70-80 percent of capacity after 10 years of normal use. It is theorized that frequent use of fast charging - more than once or twice per day - will cost you about 1 percent of capacity per year. Which basically means very frequent users of fast chargers can expect performance on the lower end of the normal range.
Level 2 AC charging is recommended to keep the battery in optimal condition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back