• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

hurst st

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
apart from going to see the remaining back to backs in hurst st this is the only pic i have seen of the street.. sorry i have no date it just says a family in hurst st

astoness

Nice photograph, Astoness. Do enjoy looking at these and coming to my own conclusions as to when the photograph was taken and here is my interpretation of this one. Taken on a Sunday for father, mother and their children are dressed in all their finery- either that or it is an arranged for photograph but I discount this for the presence of the lad in the foreground. Don't see him as being a member of the family and is a 'mate' of the two lads of the family. I say this by noting he is dressed in a casual jumper and I take him to be there visiting at the time.
Probably wrong in all my assumptions but I do love playing this game on all the photographs posted on the site.
Will.

will...as all the lads seem about the same age you could well be right in your assumption that he may be a mate...glad you like it.

astoness

My ancesters lived of Hurst street (Claybrook st and Skinner lane). They may have known them.

robert..isnt is nice to think that they may just have known this family..

astoness

it would indeed robert... by the way i dont know where you live but if you are in reaching distance and you have not been i would highly recommend a trip to the surviving back to backs in hurst st...

lyn

A few more snaps of Hurst St, just some everyday photo's, but the last one shows the reality of Hurst St back to backs not the sanatised version that you will get up if you roll up and pays your money.

Phil

Attachments

• City Hurst St - Ladywell Walk .jpg
    City Hurst St - Ladywell Walk .jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 25
  • City Hurst St  Smallbrook St early 60's.jpg
    City Hurst St Smallbrook St early 60's.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 24
  • City Hurst St 1940's.jpg
    City Hurst St 1940's.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 24
  • City Hurst St 1955.jpg
    City Hurst St 1955.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 22
  • City Hurst St Back to Backs  1930.jpg
    City Hurst St Back to Backs 1930.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 23
wicked pics phil...i think the 1st one is the surviving back to backs..corner of hurst and inge st.

lyn

Phil, yes brilliant pics, but the last one is a bit terrible for the 1930s. Thanks all the same
Lyn, Phil's photo is of the north side of Inge Street, with Hurst St leading uo to Hill Street. The remaining back-to-backs are on the opposite side of Inge Street, but they look very similar indeed.
Peter

they do indeed peter...even to what looks like a little shop on the corner...thats for that info....

lyn

last shops in hurst st..1991

hurst st garage..
Lost Photos replaced
last shops in hurst st..1991.jpghurst st garage...jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice. I hadnt realised that Mathews was still there in the 90s. I used to haunt that shop, the one over the road (Radio Centre) and Norman H Fields in the 60s.

Does anyone remember The Wasp on the side wall of the Music shop in Hurst St? Better still has anyone got a photo please? Anne

another pic of hurst st..
I notice in the photo Des O'Conner and Peggy Mount are in a Cinderella Pantomine at the B'Ham Hippodrome. I wonder who played Cinderella - I can't imagine it was Peggy Mount from what I remember of her !

Heres an old photo of Hurst St taken in 1959, had they really started building the Ringway that early?

Phil

CityHurstSt1959.jpg

Phil:

Yes, they had, and what absolute chaos it was! Buses diverted all over the place and long queues of traffic. It was my favourite excuse for being late in work, but it didn't wash. "Why don't you leave home 15 minutes earlier?". Great Scott, I was probably still asleep then!!!

Maurice

Those flippin' miskins are popping up all over the place. Until yesterday I'd never heard of them, now they're everywhere!! Another good example of a court and living conditions. Viv.

Does anyone remember The Wasp on the side wall of the Music shop in Hurst St? Better still has anyone got a photo please? Anne

Hello Anne, yes it was a music shop that I went to regularly in 1970's. The owner was a nice bloke called Pete Oliver who I believe came from London way. We first met at a wedding, I was 16 at the time and was part of a band called the Millionaires, strings on my guitar kept breaking and Pete came to the rescue. I used to catch the bus from Sheldon on a Saturday and just hung out at the shop as we did in those days. The Move, Spencer Davis etc used to come in to see Pete and we saw a bit of life in there. I bought a guitar case and had a couple of "Wasp" stickers on it they were round with an orange background with a black wasp in the middle. I must have had that guitar case for 20 years but gave it away when I sold a guitar that was inside it. I do wish that I had took pics but when you are that young its the last thought in your mind. The last I heard of Pete Oliver in the 90's that he was quite ill. Rick

Hello Anne, yes it was a music shop that I went to regularly in 1970's. The owner was a nice bloke called Pete Oliver who I believe came from London way. We first met at a wedding, I was 16 at the time and was part of a band called the Millionaires, strings on my guitar kept breaking and Pete came to the rescue. I used to catch the bus from Sheldon on a Saturday and just hung out at the shop as we did in those days. The Move, Spencer Davis etc used to come in to see Pete and we saw a bit of life in there. I bought a guitar case and had a couple of "Wasp" stickers on it they were round with an orange background with a black wasp in the middle. I must have had that guitar case for 20 years but gave it away when I sold a guitar that was inside it. I do wish that I had took pics but when you are that young its the last thought in your mind. The last I heard of Pete Oliver in the 90's that he was quite ill. Rick
Hi Rick, I had a boyfriend in the late 60's early 70's who was an artist, he worked above the music shop and it was him that painted the Wasp. A lot of people objected and said it was an eyesore but I loved it. He took me to Ozzy Osbourne's house one day as he was asked to paint a submarine on his son's bedroom wall. Ozzy wasn't there he was on tour somewhere. I didn't live far from you, I was by the White Hart Tile Cross. Anne

I knew Pete Oliver's brother Richard very well during the 80's and met Pete several times with Richard. I believe Pete ran a music shop In Benidorm for several years and is also an entertainer.

I remember Anne that there was opposition to the painting but it was there some time, I too really liked it , groovy man!!!! think I have played at the white heart many moons ago.

Tony, yes he did go to Spain and returned to England. He used to be a session musician, played in the orchestra B'ham Hippodrome a fantastic guitarist and a nice bloke

Rick, just noticed you are from Sheldon, I grew up in Garretts Green Lane, went to the Comp, had my first real beer in Dovecotes.

Back