• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Hurlingham road Kingstanding

gibbo2005

master brummie
:crazy2: Hello all My mother lived 82 Hurlingham road for allmost 70 years i live in Australia now and was wondering what Hurlingham rd was like now would love to have latest pic Allen Gibson

will try and take a couple of pics thursday,anywhere else in the area you want pics of

Dolly, I would like to see a pic. of the Parson & Clerk Pub and a Pic of 2. Esher Rd which is up Cooksey Lane in Kingstanding.   I lived most of my childhood there,before coming to the States.
I have enjoyed looking at the Pub Pic's very much, some of them brought back some nice memories for which I THANKYOU VERY MUCH.

Have a nice day,   Wally.     O0 O0 O0 O0

HI GIBBO ,
WHEN DID YOUR MOM MOVED TO AUSSIE; LAND
I HAVE GOT A NUMBER ONE COUSIN
WHOM LIVED AT 92 . HURLINGHAM RD;
SHE HAS LIVED THERE FOR THIRTY YEARS , AND STILL LIVES THERE;
I HAVEN.T SEEN HER IN THE LAST 2 YEARS SINCE HER
HUSBAND DIED HIS NAME WAS WILF ;GREAT BLOKE '
HE NEVER SMOKED .NOR DRANK ,BUT STILLED DIED OF CANCER
TO WHAT OF I VE SEEN OF HURLINGHAM RD .
IT LOOKS A VERY NICE ROAD / I HOPE SOMBODY GETS YOU A PIC OF IT
I WOULD LIKE TO GET A COPY OF IT .
BEST WISHES . ASTONIAN ;;;;

HI DENNIS
THANKS FORDOWN LOADING THOSE PICS FOR US ON THE FORUM
I ENTIRELY AGREE WITH YOU , JUDGING BY THOSE SUPEBURM PICS
OF THE THIRTY,S. IT LOOKED POSH THEN, COMPARED TODAY THEY ARE A DISGRACE THE WAY PEOPLE HAVE RUN THEM DOWN.
WHO,S TO BLAME , THE COUNCIL ALLOWING , OR THE NATIVES , WHOM LIVE IN THEM /
thanks again bestwishes astonian ;;;

Dennis, you mention the Kirbys of Esher Road, Kingstanding, do you remember any of the names. My dad's sister Emily known as Pem or Pemmie married a Tim Kirby and I know they lived in Kingstanding, but don't know the address, they had a number of children among them Veronica and Patrica, my eldest sister remembers some of the children had lovely red hair - does this ring any bells? This was pre-war.

Dennis, Yes I seem to recall the Kirby's lived right up in the grove at the top of Esher Rd but I didn't know any of them. I remember the Moores, and the Fishers.

Have a nice day, Wally.

I want to say with the greatest of respect to everyone here that I will have to draw to a close the posting on lots of new photos. I have a few issues with it....

First and foremost this is a history forum, so I think the pictures in the history sections need to stay within that context. If you need modern pictures of an older property for your use, then Im sure that could be done via a email. I'm not sure that the address and pictures should be placed on a public forum, I can see that there might be some cause for concern with my terms of use of our webspace. I am not trying to take away anyones freedom to express themselves either, I am just protecting this forum and site from possible problems caused by badwidth issues as well as unforseen legal issues.

I will be making all the excellent pub pictures available on the Brum mainsite once I get some time.

I'm not saying that we can't Juxtapose pictures....... Now & Then for instance? New Photos are welcome in the gallery as usual and if there is no appropriate area, then let me know and I will attempt to accomodate you.......I hope you understand my concerns.

If any of you wish to discuss this then please personal message me.

quite understandble rod ,if any member needs photos i am more than happy to send them via e mails,nothing is a problem ,please ask

Rod,
I quite understand the problem with all
too many photographs appearing,
will bear that in mind in the future
all the best
Dennis
PS any pics of mine you are quite within your right's to remove
and No offence taken O0 O0

Astonian, Our mom and dad didn't go to OZ, Allen (Gibbo) went with his wife and kids in around 1970 but mom and dad and our younger brothers stayed.

Dad died in 87 and mom stayed on until she was unable to look after herself any longer, around 1995 when she moved into a nursing home.

And Dolly it looks as though you were very near, almost outside our old house when you took that photo, thanks. Eric.

HI GIBBO AGAIN,
SORRY I MISSED READ YOUR MESSAGE,
CO,S I THOUGHT YOUR MOM AND DAD ,WENT TO OZ.
SORRY TO HEAR ABOUT THE LOSS OF YOUR FATHER.
HIS YOUR MOM STILL ALIVE, ?.OR HIS SHE STILL IN THE NURSING HOME .
I HAVE GOT AN AUNT MAUD , WHOM HIS IN A NURSING HOME ,
CO,S MY UNCLE BILL DIED AFEW YEARS AGO .
MY TWO COUSINS , PETER, AND JANET , WHOM GOT MARRIED ,
COULD,NT LOOK AFTER HER , SO THEY HAD TO PLACE HER IN A NURSING HOME
SHE HAS BEEN THERE FOR AFEW GOOD YEARS NOW
ITS SOME WHERE DOWN THE KING STANDING ROAD I,M TOLD
AND MY COUSIN PETER, WORKS IN WALTER SMITHS, UP AT THE CIRCLE ,
THE BUTCHERS ,HE USED TO HAVE HIS OWN SHOP ,
SMARTS THE BUTCHERS , THEY ALL USED TO LIVE HARRINGGAY ROAD,
AUNT MAUD HIS STILL IN THE HOME , BUT HER MEMORY HAS GONE,
DOES,NT RECONISE ANY BODY NOW ,.
MY OTHER COUSIN STILL LIVES AT 92 ,WITH GROWN NEPWEW,S
ALL THE BEST ASTONIAN ,.

hello astonion my mothr never came to australia she was in 82 hurlingham rd till sometime in the 1990s can you tell me your cousins name please thank you Allen my mothers name Alice gibson

hi there gibbo, how are you keeping mate ? .
my cousin,s name is christine jones ,
her maiden name is marsden , she came from park road aston ,
ten doors from the vine pub
which is on the lichfield road , my other cousin is peter smart and janet .
my aunt maud smart ,she is in a old people place down the bottom of
kingstanding road by a pub , the name of the pub i don,t know,
theres a good chance our chris will know your mom
being ten doors away , her husband died about 2 years ago
he always had a big double glaxing van out side there house
when he was at home his name was wilf , he was a grafter
worked 7 days aweek and never lost a day
until he felt unwellone day 2 years ago and he died 2 months latert
never smoked od drank the booze
it goe,s to show gibb , life is unfair and we don,t know awaits us all

take care gibbo speak with you again ,best wishes astonian ,;;;;

thank you astonian i dont know the name so she probaly moved there after i left nice to chat with some from back home Allen

Hi Gibbo,

My Cousins lived on the corner of Carshalton I think that joined Hurlingham Tony and ronnie Brant does this ring any bells with you...Dee

hello dee
sorry those names do not ring a bell i lived in Hurlingham rd from 1933 tillabout 1960 mother lived there a lot longer Allen

I went to Kingsland Road School, and Hurlingham Road was on our long walk to the swimming baths, did have a friend who lived there, can't remember his surname, if it comes to me I will edit this post.
Dennis, I knew the Kirbys from Esher Rd, their son Victor was my best mate for quite some time.

Jennyann, You are really making me think now, I think I started there in 1948 and left, at the age of 11 in 1954, or 1955, Did you go to Kingsland road school ?, My wife also went to Kingsland Road School at the same period.

Hi Goffy:

No I didn't attend Kingsland School though I do know where it is. I was thinking that if you didn't have a membership for Friends Reunited I could access the school site and see who was registered for those years. Thanks.

Hi, Goffy, I lived on Esher Rd, moved there in 1938 when the houses were being built. I remember the Kirby's they used to live right at the top in the grove. At the time I knew of them I believe Victor was known as being a bit of a bully. I was 11yrs old when we moved there.

Have a nice day, Wally. :)

WallyB and Goffy, do you remember if Victor Kirby had any sisters, if so, their names. My dad's sister married into the Kirby family and I know they moved to Kingstanding but didn't know the address was Esher Road. I'm told they had red hair and I think two of the girls were Veronica and Patrica. Does this ring any bells. Sad really, but I never knew any of the family, my eldest sister remembers visiting them and that's where I got my information from.

Sylvia, Sorry I can't tell you anything about the family, they lived at one end of the road and I lived at the other and I didn't get to know any of them, but I think it was a fairly large family.

Have a nice day, Wally.

Silvia/WallyB, It seems there may have been 2 Kirby families living in Esher Rd
The Kirbys I knew, lived at the entrance to Esher Rd, probably No 2 or 3, Victor did have an older sister, but as far as I can remember, she had blonde hair. The Victor I knew, was a big lad, but I can't imagine him being a bully. but who knows? I think, but I am not certain, he married a girl named Stephanie.

Jennyann, Thanks for your thoughts, 'Friends Reunited' is new to me, is this a Web Site, I would love to know more.

Goffy, I lived at the entrance to Esher Rd, at #2 and at #3 on the opposite corner lived the Hedges. He was my mate and just him and his mother lived there. We lived in that house from 1938 and I believe my mother moved out about 1958 so I don't know who moved in after that. I went to Kingsland Rd School, and then to Peckham Rd, left when I was 14 and went to work at Cannings.

Have a nice day, Wally. :)

Last edited:
Back