• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Hunters Road Hockley

Re: hunters road..hockley

hello lyn

lyn when they pulled geach st down in the early sixties we moved to hunters road in the early sixties number 122 .its past the convent on the right going up hunters road. the house is still there to day. the old school was round the corner in wills st st marys. thanks for the photos lyn and the memmories

lyn, I don,t think i took much notice at the time. There were only certain parts we were allowed in and to be honest i was a bit scared , but liked the 1/6d at the end of our 4hrs work.The boiler rooms underneath we had to dust was very eerie.

hi billy yes i know you lived at 122 and i took a look at it today...its still there as strong as ever..next time im down there i will get a shot of your old house if you would like me to...

lyn

Hardman's started as making silver, gold and metal items and they suppliedmuch of the metalwork for the original palace of westminster. it was only later, when they did work for pugin in thepalace of westminster that they became also into painted glass windows. Most of the original ones in the palace of westminster were destroyed by the irish bombing of the later 19th century, and german bombing in ww2. The two below are from the book, and i believe (though am not absolutely clear) that these are replacments made by Hardman. He also amd windows fro erdington abbey and st chads, and worcester cathedral, amongst many others. the erdingto abbey window is also below

glassfromhardmansinhouseofcommonsA.jpg

windowfromerdingtonabbeyA.jpg

oh wow mike and to think he lived round the corner from me....not at the same time of course lol..thanks again for this extra info mike and the pics are wonderful...

lyn

lyn, I don,t think i took much notice at the time. There were only certain parts we were allowed in and to be honest i was a bit scared , but liked the 1/6d at the end of our 4hrs work.The boiler rooms underneath we had to dust was very eerie.

topsy i dont think i would have liked to have had to dust the boiler rooms....it was bad enough having to go down our cellar with a candle to put money in the gas meter lol..

lyn

Hi Lyn
You have been buisy. Lovely photo's. As you know we lived in Brougham st, if i remember correctly
our doctor had his surgery in the Carnegie. I was up that way last week and was suprised what old buildings
are still around, also in Brooklands with Arthur Place, Louisia Place, etc.

Stars

hi stars i was hoping you would spot this thread...yes i know its quite amazing if time is taken to look around just how many old buildings are still down there...i also took some pics of an old one in wills st as you know that ran along the top of brougham st and my villa st...cant explain why but this building intrigues me..its a bit late now but i will post them tomorrow..

lyn

oops ive just remembered that we already have this hunters road thread so could the one i started earlier please be merged with this one...

many thanks..

lyn

no probs billy i will be going down again very soon..

lyn

ive just travelled back in time...an old pic of the inside of the carnegie...just how i remember it looking...

carnegie.jpg

bomb damage in hunters road...im afraid i dont know the exact locations...

please note i have now reposted the blurred photo bucket photos on this thread

lyn

huntersroadblitz.jpghuntersroadblitz2.jpghuntersroadblitz3.jpg

huntersroadblitz.jpg

huntersroadblitz3.jpg

huntersroadblitz2.jpg

Last edited:
hi barrie can you keep an eye on this thread please..may have some good news for you soon regarding a pic of the bridge tavern...

lyn

bomb damage in hunters road...im afraid i dont know the exact locations...

huntersroadblitz.jpg

huntersroadblitz3.jpg

huntersroadblitz2.jpg

It was at the top of the hill, on the right hand side, near to Wills St, next door to our landlord Mr Pember. The other undamaged house next to the bomb site was the house where Mrs Pursehouse lived. I got into trouble for tipping a box of washing blue over the head of her daughter Sylvia. I can't for the life of me think of any reason why I did it. Lads 'eh.

Barrie.

Last edited by a moderator:
ok barrie i will get back to you as soon as i something definate...thanks for the locations of the bomb damage pics..i did wonder where abouts in hunters road it was...cant believe you would do that to poor old mrs pursehouses daughter lol

lyn

hi barrie...after all our years of searching we have it cracked..here is a pic of the bridge tavern taken in 1961 which i hope shows the alley way that led down to your back house behind the pub..also another pic showing the continuation of the road leading from the pub down to the start of farm st this one is dated 1964...hope they bring back some memories for you barrie its like i always say..they are out there somewhere if we look long enough...all the best

please note i have reposted the 2 photos on this thread..not sure how to delete the blurred ones yet but at least we can now see them

lyn

HUNTERS..BROU..HOSP ST 018.JPGHUNTERS..BROU..HOSP ST 019.JPG

Last edited:
Those are fantastic Lyn. Thank you so much, I'm full of emulsion lol. That place next door to The Bridge Tavern was the workshop of our landlord Mr Pember, not that the old skinflint ever did any repairs. Thank you again Lyn.

Barrie.

Forgot to say Lyn. The name of the alley was Prospect Alley, but our Mom called it Poverty Alley. lol

Barrie.

now im getting full up barrie lol..seriously though i know just how you must feel ive shed more than a few tears when i have found certain pics that mean a lot to me...its great to find those elusive photos..oh thanks for the update on the name of the alley and what your mom used to call it...plenty of poverty around back in the day but i personally would not have changed my childhood...

as always im happy to help

lyn.x

Last edited:
I worked in 60 Hunters Road around 1964/1965. It was the office of the Italian Consulate. Mr R Piccioni was the Vice Council at the time. I would love to have any information anyone may have. That place has some wonderful memories as I met my husband there for the first time. Many thanks

In post #4 above 60, Hunters Road is quoted as a marble merchant, but with the same name, Piccioni. My wife who worked in nearby Burbury St at an advertising agency remembers doing work for a marble merchant called Piccioni in 1960's.

In post #4 above 60, Hunters Road is quoted as a marble merchant, but with the same name, Piccioni. My wife who worked in nearby Burbury St at an advertising agency remembers doing work for a marble merchant called Piccioni in 1960's.
Thank you so much for your response. Mr Piccioni used to also be the Italian Vice Consulate and ran the office from 60 Hunters Road. He used that address for both his business and the Vice Consulate. I worked in the Vice Consulate office. It would be great is someone had a photo of the building/house.

a lot of photos on this thread were uploaded via photobucket so in their infinate wisdom they decided to make them blurry because we would not pay massive amounts of money to continue using their site so could anyone who has posted photos via photo bucket repost them please if it is possible...if i still have the original ones i posted i will repost them asap...thanks for your help folks

lyn

My Grandmother was nursemaid then Nanny to a family in Hunters Road in the 1900s was very fond of the family and was married from there the name of the family was Surls

St Francis's R.C. Church, was opened in 1894 on land purchased from the family of John Hardman (the founder of the stained glass and ecclesiastical fittings firm). Much of its interior including all the windows were designed by Hardman & Co, and the Presbytery building was originally the old Hardman home.

Back