• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Hunters Moon Castle Bromwich

W

Wendy

I see the Hunters Moon has now closed apparently it is to become a Harvester.

At least its staying open, think its been many things to many people over the years, it seems to have redesigned itself many times over the years

Thanks for posting Wendy, my next door neighbour told me yesterday it had closed, I'm glad it is to re-open, although I live very near I have never been in there.

I've had some happy Sunday afternoons in the Hunters Moon
9.gif
I must add, this was years ago before I was married:rolleyes:

9.gif

Oh yes Chris, they were great Sunday afternoons, and I was married. :redface: :rolleyes:
To be honest i'm surprised it's lasted as long as it has, but if it is to become a harvester, that's not too bad.

9.gif

Ha Ha I remember Michael and his mates going while I cooked lunch...I was so naive then....or maybe not...lol

I wonder what happened to the Archer sign it was a B,ham land mark.At one time you would direct someone by the pubs they would pass on route sadly were running out of pubs. Dek

Dek, my friend who lives near the Hunters Moon asked about the sign and was told it is "in storage" - for what or where was not disclosed.
Sue

Hello All

Just another snippet from the past. The first sign was put up around 1967-68 for the Hunters moon and how do I know this, I was an apprentice eletrician at the time and I helped lay the cable across the car park to light up the sign.

Charles

Charles

Are you sure it was as late as that, I used to pass by there nearly every day in 1965 on the way to a site next to the Jag in Browns Lane and I'm sure the sign was up then. I know the pub has changed some since those days.

Phil

Castle Bromwich Hunters Moon Castle Bromwich Coleshill Rd.jpg

Last edited:
Hello Phil

You could be right about the date, I was about 15-16 at the time when we ran the supply to the sign and the pub was already there. I think the cable ran over toward the outdoor, I worked for "W. R. SELL" electrical contractors at the time and they had a shop by the Capitol cinema and as part of there work the had the contract to look after M&B pubs.

Thanks for your input Charles

Hello Phil

You could be right about the date, I was about 15-16 at the time when we ran the supply to the sign and the pub was already there. I think the cable ran over toward the outdoor, I worked for "W. R. SELL" electrical contractors at the time and they had a shop by the Capitol cinema and as part of there work the had the contract to look after M&B pubs.

Thanks for your input Charles

This was not the original sign it couldn,t have been I can remember one from 50s we used to cycle past it on the way to Coleshill. Dek

Michael tells me the original Hunters Moon was a wooden building that would have been before the present one.

The_Hunters_Moon_001.JPG
The_Hunters_Moon_003.JPG
Pictures taken today of the work on the Hunters Moon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like it will be following the look-a-like appearance of a lot of the Harvester chain pubs, but at least it is staying put!
Sue

Michael tells me the original Hunters Moon was a wooden building that would have been before the present one.

I remember the wooden building and I also remember when it caught fire and burned down. I believe that the present building was the one that replaced the wooden one, though I am not 100% sure of that.

Terry

I vaguely remember my brother working at 'The Hunter's Moon' as a barman in the early 60's. He told me that they had topless barmaids, does anyone else know if this might be true?

its gonna be a hungry horse, which is a family friendly pub, but with a decent bar area with pool table darts and sky for the local lads and ladies. just what the area needs if you ask me a decent place to eat and drink

Back