• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Humorous And Interesting Newspaper Stories about Birmingham

Birmingham Daily Post, July 1915........

Major Charlton Watson Spinks claimed £50 damages against Messrs Kynoch for breach of contract and for negligence in carelessly packing soft-nosed ammunition in place of solid ammunition. His representative claimed that Kynoch's carelessness might have resulted in the loss his client's life.

Major Spinks had a licence to shoot two elephants in a year, a prerequisite by which he could earn anything from £200 to £300 by selling the ivory. Major Spinks and his native bearers went out into the country. He used 6 of the 10 cartridges in the packet to test them, and fired 2 more at a buffalo while he was on his way. He had 2 remaining when he met the elephant, the first struck it in the shoulder and it turned round and received the second bullet in the hide. It was like throwing stones against a brick wall. Fortunately some one in the party had a small-bore rifle, and with with about 20 shots he finished off the animal. The expedition was abandoned at an estimated loss of £130 to £140.

His Honour referred judgement.

They need to take down the goal posts though Radiorails. They could perhaps be used as barriers to keep footballers off the grazing area
The goal makes a good sheep pen by the looks of it. :D I recall now having seen sheep pasturing in the late summer and spring on pitches. Keeps the grass down and gives it nutrients! From memory the football season was shorter in years past than at present.

IMG_1735.jpg IMG_1736.jpg In Showell's Directory of Birmingham, 1885, under the heading "Interesting odds and ends" there is a mention of a William Godfrey who died in October 1863. He had enlisted at the age of 18 and was sent out to China where he accumulated more than a £1million. Showell sites the source as the Birmingham Journal.

The article is attached as a thumbnail. It can be seen that the heading is "Extraordinary death of a Birmingham Millionaire." It appears that William was only 32 when he died, and it says..."he was determined to return to his native country to enjoy the fruits of his labours. He arrived in Birmingham in May...."

What a time he must have had! The probate entry on Ancestry (thumbnail) shows he left under £300

6C0D8BD6-03A5-41E8-BEB3-1A74274DA95E.jpeg

The Fog of War...HMS Birmingham

The Illustrated War News for August 1914 carries the illustration of HMS Birmingham sinking U-!5 German Summarine. Said to be the first encounter in naval warfare of a big ship and a Sub.

As can be seen from Wikipedia the encounter was a little different to that described...

“On 9 August 1914, she spotted the U-15, whose engines had failed as she lay stopped on the surface in heavy fog, off Fair Isle. The crew of Birmingham could hear hammering from inside the boat from attempted repairs, and so fired on her but missed. As the U-boat began to dive, she rammed her, cutting her in two. U-15 went down with all hands, the first U-boat loss to an enemy warship.[1] Birmingham also sank two German merchant ships that year and took part in the Battle of Heligoland on 28 August, and the Battle of Dogger Bank in January 1915.”

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Birmingham_(1913)

I remember the starlings in the 1950s, they seemed to have a mad fly-around along the streets screeching before settling down on buildings or in the trees in the churchyard. The council workers used to drive around in a van fitted with loudspeakers sending out very loud recordings of starling alarm calls. It was a time to quickly dive into shop doorways as the starlings took off, dropped something, and then landed back in their roosts.

View attachment 112702 December 1867, Nettlefold and Chamberlain, pull the other one!

Municipilisation of public houses.

A proposal by Joseph Chamberlain?

I recently came across this article from Aris's Gazette of 16/12/1876. I know he municipalised water and gas, but pubs? Certainly that seems to have been the implication of Gothenberg notion or proposal.

Gothenberg council had legislated that only beer could be sold privately. The council alone could sell other alcoholic drinks. In the UK this was seen as a compromise. So both the advocates of temperance (politically, mainly Liberals) and their opponents (politically the Tories) opposed it.

JC was not against drinking as such. He was probably more concerned about the effect on his workers and consequently on his profits. Decades later he became Colonial Secretary and was able to forbid the sale of alcohol to black Africans.

Attachments

• Aris' Gazette.16.12.1876.jpg
    Aris' Gazette.16.12.1876.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 3
Last edited by a moderator:
The Internet Archive has a few books about Old Joe, and you can use the search to see inside. Picking one at random and entering Gothenburg came up with a few references.

In 1876 Chamberlain turned his attention to another contentious issue. He had once committed to the Permissive Bill which would ban alcohol completely in areas where ratepayers had voted two thirds in favour. But in the 1874 election there was a ferocious reaction from opponents of temperance.

His response to the problems was to adopt a scheme based on that used in Gothenburg, Sweden, a municipilisation complemented by compensation. Birmingham Council were persuaded to support the principle but it gained little support with the most important groups in Parliament. Although he seems to have persevered for a time other political events then became more important.

Last edited by a moderator:
Municipilisation of public houses.

A proposal by Joseph Chamberlain?

I recently came across this article from Aris's Gazette of 16/12/1876. I know he municipalised water and gas, but pubs? Certainly that seems to have been the implication of Gothenberg notion or proposal.

Gothenberg council had legislated that only beer could be sold privately. The council alone could sell other alcoholic drinks. In the UK this was seen as a compromise. So both the advocates of temperance (politically, mainly Liberals) and their opponents (politically the Tories) opposed it.

JC was not against drinking as such. He was probably more concerned about the effect on his workers and consequently on his profits. Decades later he became Colonial Secretary and was able to forbid the sale of alcohol to black Africans.

A1D7E27F-BC3F-4789-9C8E-29709D0D33CA.jpeg

From Yorkshire Post, November 1895.

Birmingham Daily Post, July 1915........

Major Charlton Watson Spinks claimed £50 damages against Messrs Kynoch for breach of contract and for negligence in carelessly packing soft-nosed ammunition in place of solid ammunition. His representative claimed that Kynoch's carelessness might have resulted in the loss his client's life.

Major Spinks had a licence to shoot two elephants in a year, a prerequisite by which he could earn anything from £200 to £300 by selling the ivory. Major Spinks and his native bearers went out into the country. He used 6 of the 10 cartridges in the packet to test them, and fired 2 more at a buffalo while he was on his way. He had 2 remaining when he met the elephant, the first struck it in the shoulder and it turned round and received the second bullet in the hide. It was like throwing stones against a brick wall. Fortunately some one in the party had a small-bore rifle, and with with about 20 shots he finished off the animal. The expedition was abandoned at an estimated loss of £130 to £140.

His Honour referred judgement.
i wonder if he won the case against eley.

LONGTON, NORMACOT. Wesley Memorial Chapel, Chaplin Road, Normacot, was built in 1892. (fn. 394) In 1940 it seated 291 (fn. 395) and had a membership of 69 in 1942. (fn. 396) It was still in use in 1957 (fn. 397) and is a brick building in the Gothic style with stone dressings.
No trace of this there now as far as I see. Possible sites are an empty plot, a residential block or a Oriental religious building.
However, it is a good distance out from Brum, so I will not pursue.

I remember the starlings in the 1950s, they seemed to have a mad fly-around along the streets screeching before settling down on buildings or in the trees in the churchyard. The council workers used to drive around in a van fitted with loudspeakers sending out very loud recordings of starling alarm calls. It was a time to quickly dive into shop doorways as the starlings took off, dropped something, and then landed back in their roosts.
A great treat when i was 4 or 5(1953), was to be taken by Dad, on the bus, to watch the starlings doing their amazing aerobatics at roost time. Always seemad to be freezing cold, so roast chestnuts or a hot potato with salt were bought from the man who stood on the corner by the Midland Hotel, i think? Just up from the New st Station.
I never tired of watchin them.

A little boy was offered a chance to spend a week in the country, but he refused. Coaxing, pleading, arguing brought from him nothing but the stubborn answer. "No country for me!"

"But why not." He was asked.

"Because," he answered, "I am told they have thrashing machines in the country, and it is bad enough here, where it's done by hand."
and what has that got to do with bham or history mate sorry it must go ? lol only joking pete

Last edited:
What an amazing story. I did not know about this. I wonder if the construction of the building was similar to that of the Twin Towers

Back