• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Hulse

Nigelhls

knowlegable brummie
Good morning, All.
Most of my family ( Hulse ) lived in and around Walsall and Handsworth since the early 1800s. For the family history, I would like to find out where they are buried?
Can someone please tell me where I can find these records?
Thanks a lot
Nigel

Re: Birmingham Cemeteries

Not an easy one Nigel to locate burial places. There is a CD entitled National burial index but this is not complete. Early burials will be in Church Yards later ones in Cemeteries.There is St Mary's Handsworth burials ceased in 1909 except for family plots which carried on until. Handsworth cemetery opened in 1909. I am not sure about Walsall sorry. Most records are held at Central Library in Birmingham. The cemeteries also have records but charge for searches. I have the indexes for people in two cemeteries. If you want specific look ups you will need to give as much info on the person as possible. Hope this helps.

Hi, Wendy
Thanks a lot for the prompt reply.
Some of the people that I am looking for are: My GGFather, Henry William Hulse (may be listed as William Henry); GFather, Horace Henry Hulse: GAunt, Florence Alberta Hulse and GMother, Laura Fanny Hulse.
All were living in Handsworth and Handsworth Wood when they died.

Regards
Nigel

Hi Nigelhls,
I've been having a look on Find My Past but I havent come across any burial information as yet.
I was just trying to find some info for Florence and after seeing the 1911 census and cross checking her birth, I think her middle name may have been Albertina and also I would imagine that she may have married, so her married name would be the one needed to search for her burial (was it possibly Gregory ?)
The same would apply to Laura Fanny..was Hulse her maiden or married name ?

Regards Lindyloo

As Lindyloo says the women would be buried in their married names. Some approx dates would be helpfull too.

Some could possibly be cremated then. They are not in Key Hill or Warstone Lane cemeteries.

Wendy, It seems Horace Henry married Laura Fanny Whitwell in Ireland in 1916 and she died in 1978, Birmingham.

Hi, Lindyloo
Thanks for the reply.
Florence Hulse never married and Laura's Married name was Hulse (Maiden name Whitwell).
Regards
Nigel

Hi, Wendy
Thanks a lot.
Sorry, I should have included some dates! Florence Hulse died 1961, Horace Hulse died 1982 and Laura Hulse (Whitwell) died 1978.
Regards
Nigel

Hi, again, Lindyloo.
This is interesting: I've not been able to find details of Horace and Laura's marriage (my Grandparents).
If, indeed, they were married in Ireland, it would explain why I've not found any details on FreeBMD and other sites.
I assumed that they would have married in Walsall, where most of the family were married.
Could you please tell me where you found the info, then perhaps I could get a copy of the marriage certificate.
Many thanks,
Nigel

As these deaths are relatively recent I would look for obituaries in local papers this would then tell you if they were buried or cremated.

You're welcome Nigel.
I think, as Wendy said, you would need to search through old newspapers for the obituaries and as far as I know Birmingham Library would be the best place for doing that, but from your location, doing so would be impossible !! There are newspaper archives online, but I have had a quick look and not come across anything as yet, ..they are in the main for years a lot earlier than the ones you need. Perhaps you have a relative here that could do that for you ?
Regards
Lindyloo

Many thanks for all your help and effort.
Yes, the distance is a bit of a problem!!!!
Unfortunately, there are no family members left in England, on my late Father's side, but who knows - I may eventually find out who is where!!
Regards
Nigel

I won't make any promises, but I have to go to library at some point (Ive been trying to find time for the past 6 months!!) so I will make a note of the names and dates and see if I can find anything when I get there.
Regards
Lindyloo

Once again, many thanks: if and whenever you find anything, it would be most appreciated.

If finding older burials is easier, Horace's father, William Henry Hulse (GGfather 1860-1934) lived and died in Handsworth Wood. His old house was 36, Handsworth Wood Road. We called it "The Wood".

I have an idea that Florence, Horace and William ( not sure about Laura) may be buried in the same cemetery - possibly a family plot?
I vaguely remember going to a cemetery, but that was a long time ago and unfortunately I don't remember any details!!

Regards
Nigel

Just a query Nigel, I was trying to locate the quarter for William Henry's death in 1934, but I have searched the index for 1934 and the first 2 quarters of 1935 and cannot find it..is that definitely the year ?

Back