• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

hughes

gizmo

knowlegable brummie
Hi everyone. :smiley6600:
Re: hughes/ harris posting i made earlier.

I have found out that David hughes born 1868/69 that i was looking for was born in kings norton but i'm confused by the free census 1881 that i've checked.
The census lists

back of old park road, west bromwich

Fanny hawkins age 45 born 1836 in handsworth staffs, (wife)
james hawkins age 31 born 1850 in binstead, hampshire (head)
Clara j hawkins born 1872 birmingham (daughter)
hannah hawkins born 1875 dudley port staffs,(daughter)
minnie hawkins born 1876 tipton, staffs (daughter)
Frances hughes born 1865 kings norton (daughter)
David hughes born 1868 king norton (son)

how can they all be son and daughters yet have different surnames and not be step children?

Is their anyone of you nice folks who could clarify this for me.

Re: more help needed with my hughes

Hello Gizmo  :D

Hope this might help - found the details off the free bmd site  www.freebmd.org.uk

Marriages Dec 1879:
Hawkins James
Dudley 6c 102 (ref for place, vol and pg no) when you click on the link for the page no ( 102) it lists everyone on the page... there is a Fanny Hughes listed, so I can only presume it will be her  ??? 

So Hughes must be her original name, either she has been married and widowed, or the older children are illegitimate...

What do you think?  O0

Tigerlily  ;)

Hi there does either of you have a Phoebe Hughes nee Bate in your line? from the Tettenhall area of Wolverhampton.

Angie :-\

:eek: ho dear, their is a fanny hughes born 1838 in dudley and your right the names and place fits with them marrying in 1879  O0 but this means all the children were born out of wedlock  :-[, she must have named the first two with her surname as james would only have been 15  :eek: and her late 20's then used his name for the other 3  ???.  umm something to think about  :eek: :-[ think more  >:D than  :angel:

Thanks
tracyl

sorry angie
i only had david hughes who married kate harris until tonight now it appears his parents weren't wed. :laugh: :'(

Oh well another brick wall :'( thanks anyway O0

Any Tommy Hughes in your family Angie? I did my army trade training in REME at Taunton 1953 with a Tommy Hughes from Birmingham, we took an unofficial weekend leave whilst we were waiting to be posted overseas and hitchhiked home from Arborfield. E.

Sorry to say no Eric,i have only just dug up Hughes in the family.

Hi Tracy (Gizmo), :)

I think the Hawkins children are his from a previous marriage and the Hughes children are hers. Both spouses have probably died, and they have married in 1879.
The only way of knowing for sure is if you send for the Marriage certificate - it will say what their marital status was when they were wed  O0. You could also check the parish records for baptisms - it will give both parents names, but you will need to find out which church they were baptised at. Or you could try and track the birth certificates down, but it will cost £7.00 for each one.

Hope that helps!

Tigerlily  ;)

thankyou tigerlily you've been really helpful O0.I realise now their are several explinations.
I'm tempted by the idea of them both being widowed :) and them getting together :smitten: rather than the other option.
Something to think about definately.
Thanks again ;)

Hello Gizmo (Tracy) :)

You're welcome! ;) Good luck and happy hunting O0

Tigerlily :D

:angel: gizmo, don't worry too much if it's the other option, as a lot of folk back then couldn't afford to marry straight away, or were in employment where they were not allowed to marry (this was the case for both Men and Women). Don't judge info' by our times or standards, some people didn't know their own age or were unable to to read or write their own name, so often.‚.. info' was not always correctly transcribed. As I've pointed out before you really do have to look outside the square and not be restricted by boundaries, when researching old family records.
Here's a thought though:

Marriages Jun 1860

Horton.‚.. Elizabeth.‚.. .‚.. Kings N..‚.. 6c 655.‚.. .‚..
Hughes.‚.. Charles.‚.. .‚.. .‚..Kings N..‚.. 6c 655.‚.. .‚..
OWEN.‚.. Fanny.‚.. .‚.. .‚..Kings N.‚.. 6c 655.‚.. .‚..
WOODHALL.‚.. Philip.‚.. .‚.. .‚..Kings N.‚.. 6c 655

Sorry, don't have any theories- but have just had a look at the original of the 1881 census. The daughter you have listed as Frances Hughes is FLORANCE Hughes.
Nell x

Anyone have an Edwin Hughes m to Phoebe Bate 1881 Wolverhapton area???? :-\

Thanks
The mind boggles. I looked at the free ancestry 1881 to come up with frances but florance sounds better thanks for putting that one right for me.

Your right chris i should think other than the obvious, i've got that bad i'm inventing the past like a soap opera with several endings and anything is possible. It does look more logical though that she had married before and that david and florance was by that marriage.

Davids middle name is Charles and would fit with having a father called charles. Wonder what happened to him?

Thanks again everyone :smitten:

tracy :crazy2: :idiot2:

:-[ i know i'm being a pain with this but i was thinking possitive :) and got someone to check the 1861/71 census for fanny and charles hughes. I knew david and florance wouldn't be on 1861 but thought it would give some clues.

It's posed more questions :( i'm thinking square again :'(

It lists
Fanny hughes as age 26 (wife)
charles hughes as 38
Then....then
Ann owen aged 5
ellen owen aged 2

Where did they come from!!!

tracy :uglystupid2:

:angel: If you look at post #13 'Fanny was nee Owen' So may be she was also married before that too (My Gran had three husbands and children by them all - No financial assistance, so folk just remarried or ended up in The Poorhouse). Did it not state relationship to the head? Another thought Niece & Nephew, or this time the other option ;) (Sorry couldn't resist :))

Hi everyone
I have been re looking at all the info i have so i could send off for certificates to clarify things. I tried hard to find the marriage of David Charles Hughes and Kate Harris in the hope of moving on. I have had another look at the 1891 census as that address now matches info i've been given. It gives David as being born in wednesbury , staffs not Kings Norton as i was heading towards. :tickedoff:

What do you think for this as a possibility? :-\
The only match I can find for them is

Kate Harris j/f/m quarter 1891 west Bromwich marriage to David Charles Huses (not hughes but close)

I now have kate harris as born 1875 j/f/m making her 16 at time of marriage.

Is it possible that their has been a transcribe error on ancestry for their marriage or is this just a coincidence to fool me?

Any advice welcome (apart from adopting a new family ;D)(or for me to stop being annoying :-[)

Thankyou
:crazy2: tracy

Back