• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

hughes/harris still having trouble,anyone willing to take a look

gizmo

knowlegable brummie
Hi everyone
I need help to sort out this family please. I have sent off and recieved three certificates to try and sort out if i'm on the right track but im still confused. Please could you take a look and give me any guidence.

!st certificate Birth

Martha Hughes born 23rd August 1891, 8 union passage u.s.d west bromwich south west.
Parents David Charles Hughes and Kate Hughes formerly Harris. David Charles was a coal miner.l

2nd certificate Birth

Kate Harris born 5th February 1875 over end west bromwich north east.
Parents Richard Harris and Eliza Harris formerly Keen. Richard was a coal pit labourer.

3rd certificate Marriage Christchurch west Bromwich

David Charles Huse 24, Batchelor,coal miner, union passage, father David Charles Huse(dcd) labourer
Kate Harris 18, spinster, union passage, father Richard Harris, labourer.

I've not seen the census records but have been told this info and it seems to match what the certificates say except for the name being HUSE not HUGHES on the certificate. Is that just an error or do you think it's not the right couple. Did he change his name from Huse to Hughes, was that legal if you change the spelling of your name.?l

1891 census

Name: David Hughes
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1867
Relation: Son-in-law
Where Born: Wednesbury, Staffordshire, England

Civil parish: West Bromwich
Ecclesiastical parish: Christchurch
County/Island: Staffordshire
Registration district: West Bromwich
Sub registration district: West Bromwich South West
ED, institution, or vessel: 10
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
Eliza Harris 49
Kate Hughes 18 born West Bromwich
Richard Harris 56 born Drayton
David Hughes 24 loader in pit

Source Citation: Class: RG12; Piece: 2268; Folio 67; Page 31; GSU roll: 6097378.

Name: Kate Harris
Age: 5 Estimated Birth Year: abt 1876 ,Relation: Daughter
Father's name: Richard Mother's name: Eliza
Where Born: West Bromwich, Staffordshire, England
Civil parish: West Bromwich
County/Island: Staffordshire Country: England
Street address: 4 Water Street
Registration district: West Bromwich
Sub registration district: West Bromwich North East
ED, institution, or vessel: 22
Household Members:
Name Age
Alfred Harris 4
Eliza Harris born Nunham, Oxfordshire 41
Elizabeth Harris 20
Ellen Harris 11
Henry Harris 16
Kate Harris 5
Richard Harris born Drayton 42

Source Citation: Class: RG11; Piece: 2852; Folio: 58; Page: 43; Line: ; GSU roll: 1341684

What do you all think?
Right O0 wrong :crazy2: or disown :2funny:

:idiot2:tracy

Hi Tracy, I think you are on the right track. Names are spelt differently on records, and you have to keep an open mind when you are looking for them. Not many people coould read or write, and when someone was writing down the info they were given they were often confused by accents. So they wrote what they thought was the nearest to what they were hearing. The info on the census records are a fair match, ages often vary from one census to another, and possibly none of them are correct, because how do you remember when you were born if your parents weren't sure. Its all a bit of sleuthing to get to where you want to be. :)

Back