• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Hughes Biscuits

My Dad worked for Hughes Biscuits, he was a driver, when the 2nd war broke out he left and joined the army, he would have worked there sometime from1930 to 1939. He never took a driving test in those days and was a driver all his life.

Hi all
My mom worked at Hughes/rowntree biscuits in the early 1970s, most nights after school I would wait outside the factory gates for her to finish her shift and then we would walk home together, I remember the boxes of broken biscuits she would sometimes bring home and one biscuit in particular that was covered in caramac chocolate
I also remember attending the children's fancy dress party at Christmas
View attachment 144417
Great photo. Hi everyone, my mom (Janet Deeley - maiden name 'Mosley') worked at Hughes Biscuit Factory from 1958 for a few years. Have loved hearing about the chocolate covered marshmallows. Would love to hear from anyone who worked there at the same time and remembers my mom. Thank you.

Hello Alan,

Good to hear from you again and hope you are now recovering. I went down with this awful virus just before Christmas and have just about got over it now. My other half, Jan, is still coughing like a good 'un, and it's unusual for her to go down with anything as she is pretty immune to this sort of stuff. Relatives & friends in the UK & Brussels have had it too as well as here in Crete.

But to get down to Hughes, in 1911 the whole family were living at Packwood Grange, Dorridge. Alfred Hughes, 55, his wife Mary Beatrice Hughes, 52. He came from Huntingdonshire and she from London, they'd been married 28 years and had 8 kids, all surviving. One son, Howard Alfred Hughes, 27 is also down as a biscuit manufacturer, and his brother Bertram Arthur Hughes, 24, was Company Secretary.

If you put the company name - Alfred Hughes & Sons Limited - into the London Gazette site, you will find that in January 1922 there was some sort of legal hoo-hah going on in Court and involved an agreement between the Company and its Preference & Ordinary Shareholders. The Judge arranged a meeting at which he appointed Howard as Chairman, or failing that, Bertram, so whether there was a disagreement between Alfred & the shareholders I don't know. When I have a little more time I will check for newspaper reports.

Get well soon, Alan.

Maurice
Hello Maurice, Can you please confirm if they had any family member named Sybil and James Ronald Hughes, is there a way to connect with the family? Appreciate much. Best, Tanny

Back