• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Hudson Cycle

O

O.C.

Old faded postcard that needs recording is one for the New Hudson Cycle Company were a W.Welsh broke the World record on one of their bikes
Lands End to John of Groats in 3 days 8 hours
And did 1000 miles in 4 days 7 hours 46 mins
The premises were at 19-35 Summer Hill Street and 40 Paradise Street
Joined BSA cycle section who sold out to Raleigh in 1957
Pic 1900c shows W.Welsh standing outside the Palace Hotel Inverness after breaking two World Records ( I should imagine the first to do so )

Cromwell, Cracking photo of W. Welsh the world beating cyclist and his bike, as a matter of interest my mother used to work at the New Hudson factory in the chroming section doing handle bars, wheels and saddle stems. attatched her wage packet from the 1930s before she was married. The money as long gone.

My first bike at age 10 was a New Hudson, Dad had to put wood blocks on the pedals so that I could learn to ride it, when I wnet to the Grammar School and was going to ride a bike to school, they thought something more modern would be appropriate and bought me an Hercules from a dealer in the Aston/Perry Barr/Witton Road area, I think he was called Wheelers......I would actually have preferred one of his more exotic racing bikes, but money was limited and beggars cannot be choosers. What was the name of the big cycle shop up Kings Road just off the Beggars Bush?

My first bike at age 10 was a New Hudson, Dad had to put wood blocks on the pedals so that I could learn to ride it, when I wnet to the Grammar School and was going to ride a bike to school, they thought something more modern would be appropriate and bought me an Hercules from a dealer in the Aston/Perry Barr/Witton Road area, I think he was called Wheelers......I would actually have preferred one of his more exotic racing bikes, but money was limited and beggars cannot be choosers. What was the name of the big cycle shop up Kings Road just off the Beggars Bush?

Found this enamel sign on an auction site today.

Attachments

• Hudso bicycles.jpg
    Hudso bicycles.jpg
    597.1 KB · Views: 7
I was in a cycle shop in Mickleham, Surrey today and saw a New Hudson, Ladyback tandem, dated at around 1934. It was made at St. Georges Works, Birmingham. Got a fairly good photo of the badge but not so good of the bike itself as it was in a corner next to a wall. The bike could be bought for £300. Does anybody know the location of St. Georges Works? Dave.
IMG_20200301_125340601 (2).jpgIMG_20200301_125219556 (2).jpg

I was in a cycle shop in Mickleham, Surrey today and saw a New Hudson, Ladyback tandem, dated at around 1934. It was made at St. Georges Works, Birmingham. Got a fairly good photo of the badge but not so good of the bike itself as it was in a corner next to a wall. The bike could be bought for £300. Does anybody know the location of St. Georges Works? Dave.
View attachment 142436View attachment 142437
premises at St George's Works, Icknield Street, Hockley
1910s New Hudson Tourist Roadster – The Online Bicycle ...

The position of the St Georges works of the New Hudson Co is marked in red on the c1905 map below, though at the time of the map it housed the New Rapid cycle co

map c 1905 showing position of  St Georges Works of new Hudson cycle co.jpg

Back