• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Hubbleday

Chris B

master brummie
Hi All,
I would appreciate some guidance as to how I could trace my wifes family without it costing an arm and a leg, if someone could give me a pointer or two I would be extremely greatful.
Thanks in anticipation of any help given.
The family surname is HUBBLEDAY on her Fathers side and Craythorne on her Mothers side.
Kind regards Chris Bryan

hello chris...well i prefer to use ancestry for my research as i find it much easier to find my way around but that is just a personal choice..there is also genes reunited and find my past ...you can have a months subscription to ancestry for just £12.95 which i think is pretty good..the other option with them is to take up the offer of a 2 week free trial..if you take that one up dont forget to un tick where it says do not renew my subscription because if you dont do that they will automatically renew it.. think its about a hundred pounds for a full years subs but thats a lot of money unless you plan to use it lot...ive done most of my family history now so what i do is just have a month at a time when i feel like it...

lyn

Last edited:
Hi Chris, I have used Ancestry for many years now , it has its faults but most of them do.
When searching for family members you have to allow for the faults of others , the census enumerators to name the worst culprits,LOL.

to get you started

Edward C Hubbleday,b 1921 the son of Norman J Hubbleday and Harriet nee Millin

1911 census 84 Leamington road, Balsall heath, HUBBLEDAY

Charles edward Hubbleday age 43 b. Colchester, Brass polisher
Clara age 47 wife born Walsall
Bernard 15 b,Bham
Eva 13 b. Bham
NORMAN 12 b. Bham
Matthew sheldon age 23 nephew
Lizbeth age 19 neice
Alice Keilty age 1 no relationship given.

1911 census 22 Richard Street, Aston MILLIN

George Millin age 33 labourer
Adeline 31 wife
HARRIET 13
Mary 12
Thomas 9
Annie 3
Louisa 2
Alfonso under 1 month.
all born Birmingham except Adeline in Smethwick

Lilian D Craythorne b 1920 the daughter of Richard Craythorne and Frances Ada nee Coley

just to add that the Craythorne family often spelt their name Craythorn and in the 1911 Claythorne but the enumerator put
Craythorne on the index and I have verified it from BMD.

1911 census entry CRAYTHORNE

Back 13 Duddeston row
Leonard Craythorne age 43 Ice cream vendor
Ada age 32 , Traveller with organ
RICHARD 14
Ada 9
Lottie 6
when Leonard married Ada Hutton in 1897 he spelt it Craythorn.

1911 census COLEY

1911 census entry Bartholomew Row

Frances Ada was the daughter of Richard Coley and Selina nee Baker
Richard Coley died age 35 in 1910 and Selina age 34,FRANCES age 13,Richard 8 and Elizabeth 4 are
living in the home of her parents Joseph and Agnes Baker.

you can find records for free at FreeBMD and Familysearch eg. Alfonso Millin was actually Alphonso and married in 1938.

Last edited:
I've used a combination of the available sites and it's possible to do quite a bit without spending anything, though it can be a bit long winded.

But as has already been said, free access to ancestry at libraries is good. I've never had to book at the new library in town.

Shouldn't be too difficult with those names.

Thank you all for your replies especially Alberta who hit upon the right family tree which my wife June found very interesting, we will endeavour to proceed from there.
Thanks Again everybody.
Kind regards Chris Bryan

Hi Chris,
Lilian Doris Craythorne was my 2nd cousin once removed.
I attach a couple of images containing some of the Thomas Henry Green Family Tree, which in turn contains a small part of the mutual family tree of your wife and me. This shows that Ada Hutton in your wife's tree, who was Lilian Craythorne's grandmother, was my great grandmother Lottie Hutton's sister.
Lottie married Richard Green and my surname is Green.
Feel free to get in touch if you wish to.
Steve
Professor ST Green
MD BSc MBChB FRCP FFTM DTM&H etc
Sheffield Teaching Hospitals UK

Back