• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

HSBC Bank

Astonian

gone but not forgotten
Just been reading your thread about Nat West Bank being Demolished but can you or any other member tell me did I hear correctly
That the HSBC Bank was Proposing To Come To The city of brum and build a brand new giant tower in the centre of brum in the near future
I thought I heard the councillor on the news said he could not enlighten us any more as talks was going on
Yet not long ago I have just read that they are completely pulling out of Britain
Tell me I have got it wrong and its a Different bank please they said they have had enough and pulling out of the UK ,, Astonian,,,,,

Last edited by a moderator:

Frothblower

Lubrication In Moderation
Yes I got excited about that HSBC moving to Brum a few weeks ago, but according to the news yesterday, HSBC maybe moving out of the country all together.

sheldontony

master brummie
HSBC are considering resurrecting the Midland Bank brand and ring fence it in the UK, similar to how Santander have set up their UK branch. This may be the part of HSBC to be located in Birmingham, it did originate there.

DavidGrain

master brummie
The news yesterday was just about the head office of the HSBC Group. After all it was the Hong Kong and Shanghai Banking Corporation and could easily go back to Asia. The news a few weeks ago was about moving the head office of their UK subsidiary,which many of us still think of as the Midland Bank founded in Birmingham.

glassalli

knowlegable brummie
The proposal is for HSBC UK banking to be based here in Birmingham, and it may well be re branded as the Midland Bank, back to its roots apparentlyoriginally founded in Union street

DavidGrain

master brummie
The Head Office of HSBC UK is now in Broad Street. I was going to photograph it but have not been in the City Centre since the start of the lockdown. When I was last there, there were still road works going on outside the front door. I did notice that there are two lions outside the front door as there are outside the front door of the HSBC Group Head Office in Canary Wharf.

JudiM

master brummie
The Head Office of HSBC UK is now in Broad Street. I was going to photograph it but have not been in the City Centre since the start of the lockdown. When I was last there, there were still road works going on outside the front door. I did notice that there are two lions outside the front door as there are outside the front door of the HSBC Group Head Office in Canary Wharf.
I work near to it, so have plenty of pictures. Don't have any close ups of the lions though, but they are great.20190916_173929.jpg

Bob Davis

Bob Davis
I particularly like the basket weave effect of the stone cladding.View attachment 145275
Just hope that the cost of it does not affect my pension, it is strange is it not that it should return to Birmingham after all these years. Did you know that the HP subsidiary that used to exist with offices at five ways (Hagley Road) called Forward Trust had to get special permission from the City to use the Forward part of the name. Opened an account at the Branch at the bottom of Snow Hill in 1957, joined Forward Trust in Plymouth in 1966, still bank with them and they pay me a pension. Whereabouts is it on Broad Street?

Bob

guilbert53

master brummie
The Head Office of HSBC UK is now in Broad Street. I did notice that there are two lions outside the front door as there are outside the front door of the HSBC Group Head Office in Canary Wharf.
Close up of Lions

There was a date on the base of the lions of the 1940s (cant remember the exact year) so assume that was when they (or the originals) were cast.

To the right of the door, calm lion

001 Lions.JPG

To the left of the door, roaring lion

002 Lions.JPG

Close up of the face of the calm lion

003 Lions.JPG

Close up of the face of the roaring lion004 Lions.JPG

Just hope that the cost of it does not affect my pension. Whereabouts is it on Broad Street?
The new building is probably saving them money as they dont have to pay London rents or London salaries for staff.

The new HSBC building is pretty much opposite the Hall of Memory and the new library.

HSBC.JPG

Last edited:

Pedrocut

Master Barmmie
Don’t worry about the Pension...

“The ceremony opens the building to the natural energy flow of ch’i to establish a feeling of harmony, wellness and good destiny, while the lions symbolise success and prosperity. In line with feng shui tradition, eight lucky coins along with handwritten wishes for the bank’s future will be buried under the lions for protection.

The bronze guardians, nicknamed Stephen and Stitt after two HSBC senior managers in the 1920s, have a proud heritage in the bank, standing guard at HSBC head offices around the globe, including Hong Kong and London. Because of the positive feng shui associated with the lions, people often stroke their noses and paws for luck.”

JudiM

master brummie
Close up of Lions

There was a date on the base of the lions of the 1940s (cant remember the exact year) so assume that was when they (or the originals) were cast.

To the right of the door, calm lion

View attachment 145320

To the left of the door, roaring lion

View attachment 145321

Close up of the face of the calm lion

View attachment 145322

Close up of the face of the roaring lionView attachment 145323

The new building is probably saving them money as they dont have to pay London rents or London salaries for staff.

The new HSBC building is pretty much opposite the Hall of Memory and the new library.

View attachment 145324
Thank you for posting the lion pictures, although I always think the roaring one looks more like it's yawning :D

ellbrown

ell brown on Flickr
I've not been into town since the lockdown started either. As you can't go on the bus or train.

But got photos up until last year and before the lockdown.

Close up of the lions from April 2019.

Left lion

Right lion

Both of them.

February 2020 from the Library of Birmingham (possibly the last time I went there). With the trams.

December 2019.

Late February 2020.