• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

HS2 Archaeology

And the work for HS2 Is actually the third disinterment at Park Street; previous ones 1892 and 1967. See post #8 here
Viv.

Just got back from a trip into Birmingham New Street on the Cross City Line from Chester Road. The tent is now down and there's a good view of the work going on in Park Street. Better still is the lovely view of the roundhouse at Curzon Street station. A glass floor at the new station would be wonderful. A quick trip on the train just one station to Duddeston and back is well worth it.

There is an interesting book called The Bodysnatchers, by Suzie Lennox (2016) available on Kindle for 99p

The webinar mentions charnel housing. (People were often buried without coffins and left to decompose for a few years, after which graves could be opened and the bones removed. The bones were then placed in a charnel house, a vault for storing human skeletons. The gravesite was then reused). Assuming this practice went on at Park Street, I wonder where the human bones were reburied ? And we’re they excavated with all the other burials ?

This drawing from the webinar shows Park Street Cemetery after it had been bought by Birmingham Corporation and made into gardens (1880). Viv.

87E72102-868A-42C8-98E7-3FCC2BA83E49.jpeg

I have recorded the first three programmes about the dig but the fourth did not appear, have I missed it?
rosie.

Thanks lyn, my series link said 4 so I thought I must have missed one but maybe there's another soon about re-burials and artefacts. (Probably just my Skybox on the blink!)
rosie.

Rosie I too hope there’s more, as the picture is not complete. People are interested to know ‘what happened next’. But I suppose that depends on programme budgets. And in this climate, who knows. Viv.

Thanks lyn, my series link said 4 so I thought I must have missed one but maybe there's another soon about re-burials and artefacts. (Probably just my Skybox on the blink!)
rosie.

Rosie, I was confused too as my Radio Times said 3 episodes but the guide on my freebox said 4. Glad you brought it up and it's been clarified.

I note that the tree climbers are back out trying to disrupt the progress of HS2, they are damaging the 'bat habitat' that they're so called 'protecting'

thought this was a good as place an any for this mystery..i wonder how long they mean when they say the human remains have been there for some time

Well, I reckon that the position shown in the photo is about where red marker is on the c1889 map, so not inconceivable that it could be an original burial from St Bartholemew's graveyard

map c1889 showing estimated positiion of human remains.jpg

thanks mike that does seem possible and if so other remains may turn up will follow this one with great interest

lyn

Back