• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

HS2 Archaeology

Just a reminder, tomorrow night (Tuesday) at 9.00pm BBC2 Britain's Biggest Dig featuring Park St. cemetery.
Cold Feet, no not the TV series, my comment above was from memory of last weeks programme, but reading this weeks tv times no mention of Brum and more about St James in London promised, perhaps I got it wrong, has been known.

really enjoyed last nights programme...these programmes are giving me an insight into something that has always troubled me and that is just how the bodies of the deceased are treated after they have been dug up....although i am still against them being removed from their resting places i do try to speak as i find and through these excellent progammes i can now see that they are treated with the utmost respect and the history that lies beneath our feet ie the old curzon st railway has also been uncovered....that is a bonus so i do have to take my hat off to the 100s of archaeologists who are doing a splendid job and a massive thanks for allowing us to visually see the work they have been doing...fascinating stuff roll on next tuesday

lyn

I see that the next programme(29/09) is on at the earlier time of 8.00pm, this again features Birmingham. In the past remains finished up in an ossuary and didn't get the respect being shown on this occasion.

I see that the next programme(29/09) is on at the earlier time of 8.00pm, this again features Birmingham. In the past remains finished up in an ossuary and didn't get the respect being shown on this occasion.

yes jim maybe in these cases now lessons have be learned...after all for all we know we may have ancestors that were buried at park st that deserve total respect

lyn

yes jim maybe in these cases now lessons have be learned...after all for all we know we may have ancestors that were buried at park st that deserve total respect

lyn
The lessons from the programme so far it seems to me is that if you want your remains preserved arrange to be buried in wet clay soil and to have a lead coffin plate! And if you want to save on funeral expenses donate your body to medical research.

The curator of the back to back houses stated that the night soil was loaded on to what was known as the "lavender barge.” I had not heard that expression before. I hope she did not upset our narrow boat purists !

The curator of the back to back houses stated that the night soil was loaded on to what was known as the "lavender barge.” I had not heard that expression before. I hope she did not upset our narrow boat purists !

very much doubt it pedro....its history

lyn

Having watched last nights episode can anyone tell me if Park Street cemetery was connected in any way to
St Bartholmews Church Cemetery.

William.

I guess she can be excused, Pedro, as she probably only knows canal boats as leisure craft.
Some of us are old enough to remember working boats, albeit in their declining years.

Just caught up with the programme. For me it shows quite a few interesting points about Park Street (episode 2). The first was the burial of ceramic plates and cups. Hopefully all will be revealed about what they represent in these burials. Also seemingly few of the coffins have breast plates (compared with the London burials - seems odd given the predominance of metal working in Brum). But according to the programme all the records of Park Street are held at the Library of Birmingham.

There’s irony in the fact that the poorer burials in the northern part of the cemetery are better preserved, whereas those in the southern area are less well preserved, due to the more acid, sandy soil.

The reference to the lack of guilds/gilds in Brum in the 1800s, suggested that it attracted ambitious skilled newcomers to the area, an example quoted being the Jewish gentleman who made clock hands. Always thought Brum was famous for its guilds. Maybe they just meant with reference to that particular trade - clockmakers ?

Never knew gravestone were called ‘ledgers’ !

At about 20 mins (I think) into the programme there’s footage of the demolition of the Fox and Grapes pub.

Lots to whet the appetite here. Just wish it would continue delving into the lives of many more buried souls at Park Street.

Viv.

Just caught up with the programme. For me it shows quite a few interesting points about Park Street (episode 2). The first was the burial of ceramic plates and cups. Hopefully all will be revealed about what they represent in these burials. Also seemingly few of the coffins have breast plates (compared with the London burials - seems odd given the predominance of metal working in Brum). But according to the programme all the records of Park Street are held at the Library of Birmingham.

There’s irony in the fact that the poorer burials in the northern part of the cemetery are better preserved, whereas those in the southern area are less well preserved, due to the more acid, sandy soil.

The reference to the lack of guilds/gilds in Brum in the 1800s, suggested that it attracted ambitious skilled newcomers to the area, an example quoted being the Jewish gentleman who made clock hands. Always thought Brum was famous for its guilds. Maybe they just meant with reference to that particular trade - clockmakers ?

At about 20 mins (I think) into the programme there’s footage of the demolition of the Fox and Grapes pub.

Lots to whet the appetite here. Just wish it would continue delving into the lives of many more buried souls at Park Street.

Viv.

I think it was said that 98% of the people would be unidentifiable ?

If you have access to Iplayer you can forward to the section showing the preserved court in Inge street. It starts around 46.16.

I thought the young curator was very good, and seemed well-suited for her position.

Have to say, I thought Inge Street looked too clean and well maintained, but I suppose they have to keep it that way for the H&S of visitors. Viv.

Viv.

yes viv i was there watching the demo of the fox and grapes...had to go having spent so long trying to save it... :( at least i came away with 2 lovely bricks from the pub:)

lyn

Back